Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

For those with the Jensen VR182 RV in dash radio that is "Sirius ready" and did not get the factory Sirius turner, here is the information that you need to get the system up and running.

You will need the Jensen DLP2500RTL Sirius tuner. This can be ordered from many internet sights for $99.99 with some offering free shipping. The DLP2500RTL comes with the data cable for connection to stereo head unit. There is a connector on the back of the VR182 that this cable plugs into.

You also will need a Sirius antenna. The best antenna that I found is a marine grade made by Shakespeare. This antennas is made for fiberglass boats and RV's and needs no ground plane. This small surface mount antenna is a Shakespeare Galaxy SRA-25 that comes with a 25' antenna lead. It comes packaged two ways so be sure to get the one that includes the SM-32 surface mount kit. The SRA-25 goes for around $46.99 which includes the SM-32 surface mount kit and can easily be found on the internet

Installation is very simple, drill a 9/16 hole for the antenna lead and mount the antenna and run the antenna lead behind the dash. Mount the DLP2500 under the dash and plug in the antenna then run the data cable from the DLP2500 to the Sirius tuner connector on the back of the radio. It's that simple and costs less than what Winnie wants for it on a factory order.

Of course, you will need a subscription to receive Sirius satellite radio after the installation. Directions come with the DLP2500 to tell you how to go about getting connected.

While you are at the back of the VR182 radio, why not add a Jensen iPod interface cable? The VR182 has a short white cable on the back that will attach to the iPod interface cable. You will need to order the iPod interface cable JIPDCBL12 form Kingston Mobile which is the only place I have found it. Website is http://www.kingstonmobile.com/home.htm
Look under boats & yachts. Cost is $20 plus shipping. The VR182 will recognize when the iPod is plugged in. Functions of the iPod can then be done by the remote or steering wheel remote and it plays through the radio. It will also charge the iPod while plugged into the interface cable. Cable length is 12'.

I am definitely not an expert on the subject, this is just the items and information I found while researching how to get my Sirius ready radio to work. I hope it helps someone.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

For those with the Jensen VR182 RV in dash radio that is "Sirius ready" and did not get the factory Sirius turner, here is the information that you need to get the system up and running.

You will need the Jensen DLP2500RTL Sirius tuner. This can be ordered from many internet sights for $99.99 with some offering free shipping. The DLP2500RTL comes with the data cable for connection to stereo head unit. There is a connector on the back of the VR182 that this cable plugs into.

You also will need a Sirius antenna. The best antenna that I found is a marine grade made by Shakespeare. This antennas is made for fiberglass boats and RV's and needs no ground plane. This small surface mount antenna is a Shakespeare Galaxy SRA-25 that comes with a 25' antenna lead. It comes packaged two ways so be sure to get the one that includes the SM-32 surface mount kit. The SRA-25 goes for around $46.99 which includes the SM-32 surface mount kit and can easily be found on the internet

Installation is very simple, drill a 9/16 hole for the antenna lead and mount the antenna and run the antenna lead behind the dash. Mount the DLP2500 under the dash and plug in the antenna then run the data cable from the DLP2500 to the Sirius tuner connector on the back of the radio. It's that simple and costs less than what Winnie wants for it on a factory order.

Of course, you will need a subscription to receive Sirius satellite radio after the installation. Directions come with the DLP2500 to tell you how to go about getting connected.

While you are at the back of the VR182 radio, why not add a Jensen iPod interface cable? The VR182 has a short white cable on the back that will attach to the iPod interface cable. You will need to order the iPod interface cable JIPDCBL12 form Kingston Mobile which is the only place I have found it. Website is http://www.kingstonmobile.com/home.htm
Look under boats & yachts. Cost is $20 plus shipping. The VR182 will recognize when the iPod is plugged in. Functions of the iPod can then be done by the remote or steering wheel remote and it plays through the radio. It will also charge the iPod while plugged into the interface cable. Cable length is 12'.

I am definitely not an expert on the subject, this is just the items and information I found while researching how to get my Sirius ready radio to work. I hope it helps someone.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 12-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well anyway, you're the only one I've seen with a VR182 to date (although I'm waiting for my Magnadyne to push me into to shooting it).
I'm curious about a user report!

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jeff, it looks like Winnie has gone away from Magnadyne in the 2008 models (about time!).

Comp-time, nice writeup!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
Jeff, it looks like Winnie has gone away from Magnadyne in the 2008 models (about time!).

Comp-time, nice writeup! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hurrumph! Don't it just figure..?
I talked to the distributor a few weeks ago about this radio and still need to get under the dash (screw up back and slice arms) and see if I can get a full part# off the Sirius receiver. With any luck they're cross compatible.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jeff, please let us know what you learn. I would also like to know if I replaced the Magnadyne radio can I still use the Sirius receiver which is installed in the coach, and is it pin compatible?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

What is the output of a Sirius radio system? Is it RF, stereo audio or an IF frequency.

Thx,
Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Dunno. My guess is that it's audio and data

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hamguy, the Sirius DLP2500 plugs into the back of the Jensen radio via a data cable. It is a direct connect. To use Sirius, you turn the "Mode" button on the Jenson radio to Sirius and the Jensen radio then runs in Sirius mode and operate all the functions of the tuner.

Thank you Pusherman, hope it helps someone out. Yes, I believe Winnei went to Jensen for 2008. Great radio. A neat thing on FM is that it will display the name of the song and artist just like the Sirius or XM sat radios. This is a rather new thing that FM stations are broadcasting but you need a radio that is capable of receiving it.

SCVjeff, the DLP2500 is made by Jensen for Jensen head units only. I believe that the Sirius receivers are radio brand specific and therefore pin specific. However, the antenna should still be compatible.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I'll sneak in there hopefully this weekend and get some pictures of the unit (and more specifically the model #. I have seen these grey modules for other radios running around, so hopefully they're all the same. When I talked to the folks at Jensen (actually the exclusive distributor for this radio) they are curious as well. Guess I'm not the only dis-satisfied Magnadyne user. I assume when you say "data cable", it's a DIN cable? If so, that's a good thing.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

SCVjeff and all those that may be interested, here is the URL for the radio. The wholesale distributor is ASA Electronics but the retail is Kingston Mobile. Amy was a real help to me in my search for the Ipod data cable and the Sirius receiver for the radio.
http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail.html?catid=&pid=22...292022b008adaac461ca

2007 Honda CRV
Old 12-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Amy is the one I talked to about this (forgot her name).

( ) They also sell replacement radios for those weenie Audiovox FRS radios that come in the gang-charger and seem to be +-8-12Khz in frequency. The new radios (-200 series) seem to perform way better, and they now have scanning Wx receivers w/ Wx Alerting.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jeff: Go ahead and shoot the Magnadyne and get it over with. You seem to know radios and I'm in the market since my Magnadyne (CD portion) died and the factory said so sorry to bad. My brother-in-laws Magnadyne from his Monaco died. He bought a nice Pioneer with a flip-up GPS, I don't need that feature. Keep us posted.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

My big deal is if the existing Sirius receiver will talk to the VR-182. Going over to see if I can get under the dash and look tomorrow. I have a lifetime subscription (since it's $399 till the end of the year), and wouldn't want to pay $75 to change.
What I wasn't aware of was the iPod interface the comp-time talked about. I like that!

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Jeff, Sirius will let you change radios I think 3 times within the lifetime subscription.

I like you would like to keep my current Sirius tuner and just replace the Magnadyne head/radio.

Pls let us know how you make out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

@ $75/pop... Heading over right now to look.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

The module is shown as a M9SIR. It says it's Magnadyne compatible, but that doesn't mean it won't work with others. I'm not sure who to call about this. My guess is that Magnadyne will only know their product. I wish I could get the module out and see who manufactured it.

Comp: Do you have any idea how the Sirus module plugs into the VR-182? Is it a mini-DIN?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Jeff, here is the URL to the VR182 owners manual. See page 6 for a picture of the back of the radio that shows the connector. Increase the percentage of magnification to 200 and you can see it clearly. Hope this helps.

2007 Honda CRV
Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone purchased a VR182 and installed same as a replacement radio? If so, where purchased and price? Only place found via google so far is the afore mentioned Kingston Mobile and some folks in FL called Lost Bwana Outfitters. Kingston Mobile website seems to lead one into a tight loop!.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

NomoreAZ, at $275.00, that seems like a good price for a $399.00 radio. I do not think you will find it cheaper. Kingston is rather expensive and their shipping charges are ridicules.

For others, here is the URL for VR182 for Lost Bwana Outfitters:
http://www.marine-gear-and-supply.com/18-din-amfmcdwb-s...ady-stereo-9255.html

2007 Honda CRV