Old 11-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

OK you tech experts...so I should be able to display MS Streets & Trips on the 7" monitor via the VGA output of the laptop???
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

Pretty work Sarge!!

I'm now anxious to see what John C. comes up with in his modification scheme to compliment your install! Get 'er done John!

I added a 7 inch monitor to the left side of the dash over by the support pillar and ran the cameras over to it and out of the in dash nav....Guess I'm a long way from being in this league.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

smlranger,

You should be able to display ANY program on the 7" monitor that you wish. Since Windows XP views the second monitor as an extension of your main (laptop) screen, you just open it up, set the video icon in the control panel to 2 monitors, and "drag" what ever program onto the 7" monitor. XP will also let you adjust the screen resolution to what ever looks the best on the 7" screen, so you can experiment to what looks best for the particular program that you want to put over there.

As a side note, I found that XP will remember what program you ran on the 7" screen, and next time you click the icon to open the program it will open on the correct monitor. This may be due to the fact that when you drag the new program over to the 7" screen, it's best to resize it pretty close on the bigger monitor, then drag it to the small monitor and finish making it fit.

Your GPS program should run fine on the 7" screen, the readability will depend on how cluttered items are on the screen.

Bob, you are almost there now!! My 7" monitor has inputs for Video, VGA (computer), or S cable. Yours probably does too. If you wanted to run a computer program on it, you would probably just need the VGA cable from the laptop, and adjust it for 2 monitors. You are closer than you think!!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

And if John gets motivated on this project, no telling what he may come up with!!

You go John, you got my undivided attention!!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I've been thinking of doing something along those lines but am thinking of using Bluetooth technology and not running any wire.

Just in the thinking/studying phase here but thought I'd share the concept.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

gunny, my Essex has a Pioneer NAV/DVD/SAT with the Bluetooth and it's really wild!
Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Wireless second screen Now there's one I hadn't thought of. If you get it going, keep us posted!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Just what I am looking to do as well. I have been using MS streets on my Dell Laptop sitting on a plastic table connected to a Garmin GPS111 and as well using my Garmin 276C on a suction mount attached to the Left side window behind the pillar. (also have the 2004 version of the Panasonic GPS/NAV/DVD unit with the backup camera. The misses thinks I am going gadget nuts! Oh well, boys will be boys! I am debating to either redo the dash completely (fiberglass) or come up with a better way to "hardwire" all the dangley's that plug into the (2) 12v receptacles?
I see you are using the Jotto desk? It looks very similiar to the *ram-mount* auto mount for a laptop, minus the bulky base?

On another not I just received another gadget from Oregon Scientific that you might be interested in?
This little Camera is sweet! No computer necessary, waterproof to 10ft and will take up to 1hr of 30fps video stored on up to a 2g SD card: Action Cam
no need for a unit for the Camera to record to

I am going to order a small monitor today (hope to find a suitable wireless unit?

Thanks for leading the way!

Tim
Old 11-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Wow Tim, I think you have passed John Canfield for the title of "gadget man"!!