Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Replacing the old RCA tv in my 2005 Sightseer

The campgrounds we have used have converted to digital tv in the cable hookup. The old RCA in our Sightseer, of course, is analog. We have a 271/2" wide, 201/2" tall hole. The new tvs are shaped somewhat differently than the older ones. Has anyone replaced the tv mounted above the windshield in a similar situation? If so, what suggestion might you offer?
Saxpilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

Thankfully my Winnie TT came with a good LCD TV hung by the factory. Bounced it a bunch with no issues. If an RV shop hangs it they’ll need to repair if something bad happens.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

SaxPilot2

Tons of posts regarding upgrading TV's. Upgrading is much more difficult in concept than in actual execution. Here is a link to our posting of our upgrade. A search will turn up more.

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...es-350840.html

If you need more detail, reach out and I will give you the level you need. We've done all three TV's -- two of them twice. Now in the process of upgrading coax to HDMI. (Why? Well, since we are retired, if I am not busy, SWMBO expects me to chitchat)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

As the sound on many new TV's comes out of the bottom or the back of the unit, when I did ours I put it on a pull out tilting arm to lower it and point it slightly downward. The arm was screwed into a frame that I built up from the steelwork to hold the old beastly Sony Wega.

I left a gap below the TV that I filled in with a wood frame covered in grill cloth to allow the sound out when the TV was in it's slot. I built a tab on both sides that was screwed in on plastic washers. Tabs up, the TV came out. Tabs could only be turned to horizontal, and they held the TV in place securely.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think your biggest problem is not with hanging the TV but wiring it so you can take advantage of the fact that your new TV is an HDTV. This won't change your OTA viewing (the old antenna will work fine) but if you want to use satellite, you are going to have to provide HDMI or component inputs to the TV to use HD. I suggest you explore wireless HDMI instead of trying to pull new cabling.

And to further complicate things, if you are a DirecTV customer, you are only going to get SD from your dome antenna. If you use Dish, you can get HD on any sat antenna. An antenna upgrade might also be in the picture.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On my front TV I pulled out the old TV, bolted a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the metal brackets which held the old TV in place then attached a TV swing arm to the piece of plywood. I was able to fit a 32 inch flat panel TV between the cabinet doors above the passenger and drivers seats. To hold the TV in place when traveling I got some heavy duty foam packing material and glued that to the plywood to make bumpers and then added a strap to pull the TV back against the foam bumpers.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Installed a 32 inch flat screen in my 05 Sighteer. Used an articulating arm attached to the right side wall. The tv is just a little wider than the existing frame. Use a Velcro strap to hold it while traveling. Will post a picture.
Dave & Jo's Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
2002 Journey WPK36GD

HDTV ANTENNAS

HDTV OTA antenna fact or fiction. Explore the facts and fiction surrounding so called HDTV antennas. Lets separate the facts from the fiction.

Buyer Beware" We all have heard this a thousand times, yet many consumers continue to purchase products with false or misleading information without further investigating of the facts. One case in point is the HDTV antenna. Lets separate the facts from the fiction.
FICTION Special HDTV antennas are necessary to receive the free over the air HDTV/Digital signal.
FACT HDTV/Digital signal is and will broadcast on the same channel frequencies (VHF and UHF) that traditional analog television has been broadcasting on for years. The frequency band will be narrower covering channels 2 through 51. See: Real vs. Virtual Channels. There's no such thing as a HDTV antenna.
FICTION all HDTV/digital signals will be broadcast on the UHF(Ch.14-69) frequency band.
FACT Not all digital signals are UHF. Nearly every television broadcasting market in the U.S. has at least one or more VHF (2-13) channel. requiring a VHF and UHF capable TV antenna.
FICTION I will need to replace my current TV antenna with a HDTV antenna to receive over the air HDTV.
FACT If your current TV antenna can receive both VHF(Ch.2-13) and UHF(Ch.14-69) TV signals, and is in proper working order, it is unlikely a change will be necessary.
Because of widespread misunderstanding many people will purchase two TV antennas. The first TV antenna will be purchased as a so called HDTV antenna. This TV antenna will usually be a UHF TV antenna. The well meaning dealer who sold the HDTV antenna thought all HDTV signals would be broadcast on the UHF band. After the digital transition date of 2009 many TV channels currently broadcasting on the UHF band will move to the VHF band channels leaving the consumer without reception on these VHF stations.
I believe for the most part this is an honest mistake. All broadcasters are required to broadcast their traditional analog signal until February 2009. At the same time broadcasters are currently broadcasting their new HDTV signal. Because of the limited channel space allotted for television broadcasting most HDTV channels are temporarily assigned to UHF channels, and will permanently be assigned in 2009. At this time many of the HDTV channels currently broadcasting on the UHF(Ch.14-69) will return to the VHF(Ch.2-13) frequency.

All my stuff works ok on my 2002 Winnebago Jpurney. The old VHS needs a converter but if you go with DVD it should have a HDMI output and all new TV's have this.

Not sure about satellite but suspect is is exactly the same but do not know what equipment you have.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

We replaced the old analogue TVs from our 2007 Sightseer. Hubby managed to get the heavy duty metal strap detached from the cabinet over the windshield. The hardest part was getting that big HEAVY beast out of the overhead compartment. I attached a pivoting tv mount for a flatscreen. Blu-Ray player sits on bottom of shelf and TV fits within the compartment while traveling and can pivot out to angle for viewing preference when parked.
BTekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #10

They were heavy, BT.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTekin View Post
We replaced the old analogue TVs from our 2007 Sightseer. Hubby managed to get the heavy duty metal strap detached from the cabinet over the windshield. The hardest part was getting that big HEAVY beast out of the overhead compartment. I attached a pivoting tv mount for a flatscreen. Blu-Ray player sits on bottom of shelf and TV fits within the compartment while traveling and can pivot out to angle for viewing preference when parked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
They were heavy, BT.
This is an important point!

The old beast is VERY heavy! It has a thicker than normal CRT to withstand the rigors of being bounced around in a motor home. Be very careful when removing it. Make sure you lay a blanket on the dash if you plant to rest it there for a minute while you disconnect all of the cables and power cord. If you don't, you could end up with a gouge in the fabric (faux leather) covering the dash. Ask me how I know...….

ETA - we found a 32" LCD that fit perfectly in the hole. Sound sucks (downward firing speakers), but it fits tightly and is firmly mounted in the hole. It was an easy enough swap, once you get the old TV out of the cubby hole.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #12
CoveredWagon

Simple TV Upgrade for the Do It Yourselfer!

I purchased my 2005 Sightseer from my Mother. Her husband upgraded to a 32" LCD tv by adding a piece of plywood, mounted flush with the face of the cabinet. Hinged using piano hinge at the top, folding lid supports inside, and a sash latch on the bottom. An access hole was cut in the center to allow wiring through the cover. He had RG6 tv cable, but I was able to run HDMI cable from the passenger side compartment ( Satellite receiver and Rooftop antenna amplifier) to the center tv mount with little trouble.
This system looks good and is functional. It also adds storage space where the old analog tv used to be! Definitely an added benefit for a RV!
I plan to add a small fan to help keep the electronics cool during the summer. a 12v fan from a desktop PC case should be sufficient.

Good Luck!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:21 AM   #13

Piano hinge? Good idea.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:59 AM   #14
CoveredWagon

Now I am adding a Solar system to my Sightseer! Using only 2-100 watt panels on the roof and a 5000 amp PSW inverter, I have tried it with the TV, a small vacuum and the roof mount A/C! So far it works! I may have to add more batteries and a few more panels to the roof because of the amp draw of the A/C though! I'll post a new thread with pics soon.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveredWagon View Post
Now I am adding a Solar system to my Sightseer! Using only 2-100 watt panels on the roof and a 5000 amp PSW inverter, I have tried it with the TV, a small vacuum and the roof mount A/C! So far it works! I may have to add more batteries and a few more panels to the roof because of the amp draw of the A/C though! I'll post a new thread with pics soon.
Would that be a 5000 or a 500 WATT inverter perhaps?
Yes it would take few more panels and batteries to run an air conditioner.
Not sure if you are serious about running the A/C.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #16

Covered, please share your plans. AC and solar are highly unusual. One gent I know runs his AC for three hours on batteries charged by solar but that’s it. Huge system.

Tags
sightseer