Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing old TV

I want to have the sound from the new TV still come through the house speakers, what specific connections does the new TV need to do this. I know this has been covered many times but I don't have much luck when I do the
search.
Thanks for any help
Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite66 View Post
I want to have the sound from the new TV still come through the house speakers, what specific connections does the new TV need to do this. I know this has been covered many times but I don't have much luck when I do the
search.
Thanks for any help
On my 2004 Suncruiser I needed the TV to have stereo RCA jacks out.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mike, What brand TV did you purchase?
Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I bought a 32" Visio because it was the only one that I could find with RCA jacks for the sound.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bruceh, You live about 15 to 20 minutes up the road from us, small world.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I bought a 32" Visio because it was the only one that I could find with RCA jacks for the sound.
The last two Samsung TV's I purchased (32" and 48") in the last month for the MH both have RCA outs on them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Former Winnebago Owner

When shopping for the replacement TV look at the specs for "Variable Audio Out". This should allow simple plug and play to your existing sound system allowing control of the sound volume using the TV remote. Since it appears as if you will be replacing an older tube type TV a new mounting bracket will be needed. The best place to find one is Monoprice.com. Also this is a great time to update DVD player connections to HDMI. Being a bit on the cheap side I found a refurbished Vizio 32" LCD TV on ebay when I upgraded our 2002 Itasca Horizon. The TV was a couple of hundred dollars less than a brand new one and had a Vizio factory warranty on it. It had a great picture and was still going strong when we traded in the MH.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Neither of my Vizio 32" or 23" TVs have audio outputs. They have RCA inputs and 3.5mm input jacks (audio input from a PC), but only the headphone jacks are OUTPUTS.

So that's what you have to watch out for. Whether or not the jacks you find on a TV are inputs or outputs. But a good TV at a good price shouldn't be avoided if it doesn't have those outputs but does have the headphone jack. You can use that if the dash stereo has inputs.

I use an adaptor cable, male 3.5mm from the TVs headphone output jack to a male 3.5mm that plugs into the dash stereo input jack. Than the dash stereo must have an AUX setting that runs the large speakers in the RV. I found that I had that in the dash stereo in this '02 RV. Came that way from Winnie.

In my '94 I'd installed a newer Panasonic multifunction stereo but had to buy a plug in adaptor to input audio. The stereo did have an AUX input setting. And it has to be set up.

In my '02, the JVC dash stereo has two AUX inputs. One on the back, hard to get to, and one 3.5mm jack right on the face plate. I'm lazy so I just plug the cable from the TV into that instead of going to the trouble of hiding the wiring and connecting into the input on the backside. When traveling, I store the cable up in the satellite cabinet next to the TV. Believe it or not, this '02 had a MONO setup that came from the original mono tube TV and fed the dash stereo using the rear AUX input. Useless to me. So when I had the TV out, I got rid of all that mono setup.

So advice...buy a TV that either has 3.5mm headphone jack, AND/OR, has audio RCA jacks marked OUTPUT. Many TVs have RCA jacks that are input only. So check that.

Then, track down the user's manual for the dash radio/stereo you have and make sure it has an AUX input that you can switch the radio to. Sometimes it only shows up if you know the trick to turning it on. That's why you need to track down the user's manual. Other times you just need to push the 'Source' (sometimes named 'Function') several times and it will show up. Mine scrolls through FM-AM-CD-F/Aux-R/Aux when pushing the 'Source' button. If you don't show that AUX during a scroll, you might have to get a new dash stereo.

The function is like this. I get to a RV park and plug the 3.5mm cable into the dash stereo, then turn it and the TV on. I set the dash audio to 40% or so. The TV remote controls the volume from there on. The Vizio allows me to either leave the internal speakers on, or turn them off.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just took a heavy 27" TV out and replaced it with an led. On mine the sound system had optical audio input and most all the TV's I looked at had optical out. So check for optical on your system. If so, that is the way to go.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have a aux plug on our Samsung TV an I also kept in service the original stock DVD player that I route the sound thru works for me anyway!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite66 View Post
search.
Thanks for any help
When I did mine I found a thread on here to make that happen. Take the back off of your old tv and if you find a coil that is wired to the speaker that looks like it was added on, take it out and wire into your new tv the same way it was on the old one. The guy that wrote the post called it a "wart", but it looked like some sort of coil to me. That is how Winnebago made the external speakers work. Good Luck
Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Changed large TV a couple of weeks ago to LED 32" Samsung with wi-fi. Had a gap at the bottom of the TV so found a refurbished Samsung sound bar on Amazon the width of the TV and fit the existing space from old TV nicely. Sound is very good and now considering removing the old DVD player and the mess of wires that controls the existing surround sound and switch box.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
When I did mine I found a thread on here to make that happen. Take the back off of your old tv and if you find a coil that is wired to the speaker that looks like it was added on, take it out and wire into your new tv the same way it was on the old one. The guy that wrote the post called it a "wart", but it looked like some sort of coil to me. That is how Winnebago made the external speakers work. Good Luck
You might be referring to my thread: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

When doing the research for mine, I found a converter at Best Buy to convert from optical to RCA. Since I mostly dry camp, this didn't work for me as the converter needed AC power.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I picked up a visio 32" LED at Walmart. It had audio outs. I just unplugged the cables fro mthe old Sony TV and plugged them into the new TV. One thing I had to dig around for was the output settings in the menu. Factory default is fixed volume. Digging into the menu allows you to change that to variable. It now works perfect. Now onto the bedroom TV this winter...
Old 11-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I am considering replacing the old brick TV with a new one that has a DVD player built into the side. They are under $200. Then, eliminate all of the 13 year old
electronics and cables. The sound coming out of the front of a newer tv is probably equal or better than the factory installed stereo set up.
Any reason not to do this?
Leardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Er, new one as in LCD/LED? Hope so.

Most do not install a TV with a DVD player. Reason is the tech for DVD and players in general changes quickly, but the TV might be usable for decades. Best to get an external for now. Saves money too. As the combo TVs are always overpriced due to lack of popularity.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your input, it really helped zero in on what the new TV needs to have as far as audio output.
Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Vectra and the original owner completely destroyed the original TV wiring and sound system only so he could watch a better TV I suppose. I will be looking at trying to get sound through the original speakers. If there was a subwoofer that is also gone. Got a good deal on the RV, so not too upset at having to do a few things. Unfortunately he was quite a wood butcher also. Glad to have found this site.
wstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
I have a 2005 Vectra and the original owner completely destroyed the original TV wiring and sound system only so he could watch a better TV I suppose. I will be looking at trying to get sound through the original speakers. If there was a subwoofer that is also gone. Got a good deal on the RV, so not too upset at having to do a few things. Unfortunately he was quite a wood butcher also. Glad to have found this site.
I found a gem of a 2002 early this year that actually has a switch labeled: 'Speaker Source Select' and then the positions were labeled: 'TV', 'Radio'.

I thought, cool! But it didn't seem to work. The flat screen TV was obviously an upgrade from a tube type and I figured they'd just not bothered to wire it up. And when I pulled it, that was true. But in inspecting the electronics near the TV, it was obvious that the system is MONO! Who the heck wanted mono in '02? Nobody. Winnie just wanted to save money. So that setup is worthless. And someday I'll try to figure out how to upgrade it. But I know that will involve running a new wire from the overhead down into the dash to plug into the radio's amp setup.

What I did was just plug into the TVs headphone jack and run it down to the dash radio's front 3.5mm AUX jack. So that runs the surround sound in my RV. It never had a woofer.

Anyway, you need to check on that to make sure the '05 audio wiring you'll eventually find is a stereo setup, not some ridiculous mono setup.