Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Well, the Winne-supplied RCA 25" TV has a bad flyback transformer...not worth repairing. I wanted to replace it with a 24" flat screen (Sony WEGA or Samsung Tru Flat) but can't find any 24" that will fit in the steel cage behind the trim (width limited to about 25 1/2" max). A 20" will fit but having trouble convincing DW that 20" is big enough since you are never far away from it.

I've considered LCD but all of them are wide, would not work in the existing trim, and are expensive. I guess nothing is simple or easy with a motorhome.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, the Winne-supplied RCA 25" TV has a bad flyback transformer...not worth repairing. I wanted to replace it with a 24" flat screen (Sony WEGA or Samsung Tru Flat) but can't find any 24" that will fit in the steel cage behind the trim (width limited to about 25 1/2" max). A 20" will fit but having trouble convincing DW that 20" is big enough since you are never far away from it.

I've considered LCD but all of them are wide, would not work in the existing trim, and are expensive. I guess nothing is simple or easy with a motorhome.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I tried that about a year ago in my 03 Journey. I think I measured every TV in the state of KY and couldn't find any that would work.

I decided it needed major alteration or leave it alone. Fortunately my TV was ok and I left it alone.
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Exactly the problem with cabinetry build around a piece of consumer electronics

I don't know if I would ditch the 4:3 format in favor of 16:9 or not. The non-letterbox programming I have seen on a 16:9 screen looks weird if it is stretched to fit the entire screen.

What I thought was pretty cool on a coach I looked at a few months ago was a projector attached to the ceiling back in the galley area. I think the screen was a drop-down from the front area.

My buddy with an older Trek has just gone through the process of replacing a built-in TV like you. He did find one that met the size requirements. He stayed with the CRT-type TV though.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well, just for the info, I called Lichstinn Motors in Forest City to see if there was a newer TV available. The original 25" RCA has been discontinued. Winne. does have a Samsung 25" that will fit the steel cage but with a note.."cannot be used with the surround sound system.' Oh, and they want $427 for it.

It is a shame that they didn't think a bit ahead and make the cage wider or perhaps adjustable. They certainly have to know that electronics stuff gets obsolete very quickly.

DW and I spent the evening at Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Target and we'd pretty much decided on downsizing to a 20" Sony WEGA or Samsung Dyna Flat (CRT). None of the 24's will fit (the wood trim is not the issue...the steel was welded to fit that square 25" RCA only!!!) None of the 20's have component audio out so would have to use the headphone jack out to connect to the 'fake surround sound' system in the coach.

I'm going to look tomorrow again at the steel cage...if I can cut it, use some aluminum to span my cuts and make it 3" wider, I think I can get a 24" in the space. The cage doesn't seem to add any structural strength to the cockpit...just holds up the TV.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:53 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

smlranger, you may have considered this previously, but I'd say before cutting the steel and getting past the 'point of no return', give a second look at an alternate tv location. How about a floor cabinet or pedestal right behind the passenger seat? Granted you'll lose some floor space, but maybe it's workable? (I get tired of having to look "up" at my tv above the cockpit, and would reconsider making it a storage area then go to a floor mounted tv if mine had to be replaced).
-Just my three cents... Good Luck!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Troth:

I considered that for about 5 minutes. We just don't want to give up the space. Also, all the wiring for satellite, VCR, DVD, etc. is in that forward space. Also, we don't have a problem looking up.

I looked again at the steel and have decided not to mess with it. I will decide today on either a 20" flat screen conventional TV to stuff in the hole or a wider LCD that I can mount on the surface of the space. There does not seem to be many LCD's (larger than 20" or so) that are not HDTV which I do not need in the MH.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Samsung makes a nice LCD that isn't terrible wide because the speakers are below the picture and not above. We're looking to replace the 27" that came in ours with a Panasonic 32" LCD wide screen. This fits like a glove and provides oodles of storage behind the flat panel screen.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well, got home with a Samsung 26" LCD flat panel TV today. DW liked it so much it ended up in the master bedroom in the house. We had a 20" Panasonic there and put it in the MH where the 25" had been....it looks lost. We've now discovered that Sharp makes a conventional 25" TV that will fit the opening so may try to find one.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Seriously guys, have you considred a "fish tank" instead ??
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Well, just for the info, I called Lichstinn Motors in Forest City to see if there was a newer TV available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Check with our advertiser,

Mobility RV! Tell Bruce that you heard about WP right here on iRV2.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seriously guys, have you considred a "fish tank" instead ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know how guppies respond to a satilite dish?

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I know this ia an old thread...But I figure if some is using "search", this may help

My 25 inch rca tube tv just died. So I had to put in a replacement. Since the same tv is discontinued (surprised??) I had to come up with an alternative. I looked at several lcd that would "fit" within the plastic molded frame, but none was really a good fit. 26" lcd was the only approp size. I ended up getting a philips 24" flat tube tv...had to cut the base of the new tv to match the curved plastic frame, and had to notch out 2 corners in the plastic frame for the flat (vs curved) tv. Not too bad...but I really wanted to put in a lcd unit. When I have some time/ambition, I will do a new lcd install. I will need to cut the metal frame work to eliminate the front "curve", then I will build new fronts out of wood. So far, I have not found a bracket that will securely hold a lcd. Most of the ones I see has one bracket (attached to lcd) hook onto the wall bracket. There is a lock, but the unit can still slide left/right. That is ok for a house, but not a rv...How have you guys done it? Bolt the lcd directly to some kind of backer board?

The tv I bought is a Philips 24" from Walmart. $178
Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Since starting this thread, I have replaced my rear TV with a 20" Panasonic LCD. I bought a bracket at Circuit City that will hold up to 50 lbs. I installed a plywood backer board in the existing TV opening, attached the bracket to the board, then hung the LCD on the bracket (bracket has keyhole shaped slots ..screws install in back of the LCD and slide down into the slots).

It is in there tight and has traveled well.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We have replaced front and rear TV's in the past. Front one ended up being an Orion brand from Wal Mart. Had to do a little Dremel work on TV chassis and plastic cabinet trim. Used some A/C foam as a filler for emty space arund TV. Metal bracket worked well with this one. Rear TV I made my own TV hold down with a couple of elastic tie downs. Also used two mirror brackets to hold TV from slideing. Tv is more for wife. I would rather listen to my Sirious radio at night.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

My 2005 Journey 36G as equipped by the factory has a Sony Wega flat screen in the front, model KV-24FS120. The surround sound system runs through the DVD/VCR receiver Home Theater System, model HT-V700DP. Maybe these might work in your RV as well.

The dimensions of the TV are:
28 1/4" wide
20 3/4" high
18 7/8" deep

per the owners manual
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote