Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacement of TV

We are going to replace both TV's with new LCD's in our 2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T. Any ideas on mounts and TV brands would be appreciated.
Herb
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi Herb:

Do a SEARCH on this site. This has been done many times before. There are even some posts with pictures.

Regards JimP.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

i will be going with a 32" vizio razor led/lcd on a home-made mount. the PO had built a very strong mount where the oem tv had been, so i figure i can re-use that. and the vizio razors are very thin and light.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Look for a model with "Variable" audio output - the ability to adjust the volume with the TV remote when using your Surround system. Many LCDs only have 'fixed' audio out and depend on a surround sound amplifier and remote to adjust the volume. Not sure which you have, but the older River Park systems didn't have a remote and depend on the TV to set the volume level.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 inches on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.

I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, VHS player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax,KR1 wireless router and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back of the hold down bars to protect the TV face.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 inches on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.
The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.

I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, VHS player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax,KR1 wireless router and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back of the hold down bars to protect the TV face.
Nice job Clay. I was planning to do something in the future and will remember your install as a guide. The only change I wish to do is mount the arm from the top allowing me to lower the tv while viewing as the old neck gets stiff due to the height of the cabinet and the short distance from my recliner.I've not seen it done this way , but would like your opinion as to the feasibility. Oh, please excuse my jumping in on this thread with this question.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I'll second the vote for LED/LCD sets. I like the picture better and they are so much thinner it makes for a cleaner installation.

Rick

PS Welcome to the forum!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
SNIP.
The only change I wish to do is mount the arm from the top allowing me to lower the tv while viewing as the old neck gets stiff due to the height of the cabinet and the short distance from my recliner.I've not seen it done this way , but would like your opinion as to the feasibility. Oh, please excuse my jumping in on this thread with this question.
It might be a challenge to figure out how to hold it in place when traveling. I am not sure how to approach that.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
It might be a challenge to figure out how to hold it in place when traveling. I am not sure how to approach that.
I would think that your hold down technique would work.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I would think that your hold down technique would work.
Probably need some modification to prevent it from bouncing up and down. It might require more pressure than you want if you just rely on tightening the hold downs.
Maybe make the bottom hold-down parts so they provide some support for the bottom of the TV?
Or maybe a shelf under the TV just wide enough to hold the TV up. The TV will move out when you drop it down and would bypass the shelf.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered my third mount off of Amazon. They have great prices for all kinds of mounts. The one I just ordered is for my A for a overhead tv in the front. It is a solid mount and i will not have a problem with it trying to sway around while moving. I put one on the wall in a Class C I had with a 20" arm that swung around for better viewing. For traveling I put two med. size brass eye bolts on either side of the tv in the wall and used an adjustable nylon strap to hold it in place. Worked great and never had a problem...Happy Trails..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbertgk View Post
We are going to replace both TV's with new LCD's in our 2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T. Any ideas on mounts and TV brands would be appreciated.
Herb

Herbergk checkout my post search mylife

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/hurr...v-57610-3.html
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hi herbertg. I have replaced both TV's in our 2004 Sightseer 35N if interested photos of the projects as well as other projects at:
Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
Hi herbertg. I have replaced both TV's in our 2004 Sightseer 35N if interested photos of the projects as well as other projects at:
Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
Hey Pace, who is the manufacture of the couch you put in your rv. Did the back come off? I took my hide a bed out and put in two leather chairs and want to go back to a hideabed for the grandkids and am having trouble finding one that i can get through the door. Great job.
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hi Pace, RV looks great. I like the storage you did behind the front TV. Now I have an idea on how to do the bedroom TV. Great photos.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

monoprice.com for quality mounts at great prices.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Hi FATMANAR. I do not know who made the couch we bought it at a local furniture store. The back does not come off. What we did to get it in was:
Remove the hand rail inside the coach, remove the legs from the couch, brought it in with the sleeper open; difficult but we made it. FYI I left the legs off, screwed 2x4's (flat) to the bottom of the couch then screwed metal brackets to the 2x4's then screwed the brackets to the floor. The top part of the bracket is hidden by the couch skirt, the other part has velcro with a matching fabric to cover it. Good Luck with your project: pace89.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info, looking forward to getting our Adventurer out of storage in a few weeks and install the TV's
Herb
herbertgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I've been following this post and like Pace's design. I just pulled some plywood (noticed the weight) I had to cut and had this thought after taking some measurements. It seems the strength needs to be where the mount goes. Has anyone just strengthened the right side and used a thin laminate for the other sides? Just seems the additional plywood would add weight. Just curious...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Hi Coffeeman. Thanks for your interest in my projects. The articulating wall mount is bolted: wall mount, pergo, plywood, metal frame. Plywood is installed before: pergo, wall mount. Good luck with your project.