Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

After talking to radio shops I decided to replace the Magnadyne. There is such a quality selection of standard size radios I did not want to be restricted to the "Speciality RV Radio."

So for $120 and a little work I made the swap. I used the Magnadyne chassis to assist in mounting the new radio. The standard size chassis fit inside the larger Magnadyne chassis. I bent a few tabs, and trimmed a piece of ABS to fill the inch void and made it work.

The antenna remained the same and the music in the coach never sounded better.

Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

After talking to radio shops I decided to replace the Magnadyne. There is such a quality selection of standard size radios I did not want to be restricted to the "Speciality RV Radio."

So for $120 and a little work I made the swap. I used the Magnadyne chassis to assist in mounting the new radio. The standard size chassis fit inside the larger Magnadyne chassis. I bent a few tabs, and trimmed a piece of ABS to fill the inch void and made it work.

The antenna remained the same and the music in the coach never sounded better.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Outstanding and looks great . We don't use the radio much since it doesn't seem to work that well and the CD player skips when we hit bumps in the road.

Your post has inspired me to start looking for a better radio and, as you noted, there are so many selections in the normal size.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Nice job Gary. Looks great. Did the wiring harness need any alterations? Is that a filler plate below the new radio? Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Looks great, thanks for posting with pictures. Is it satellite radio ready?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Outstanding and looks great . We don't use the radio much since it doesn't seem to work that well and the CD player skips when we hit bumps in the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same problem regarding the CD 'skipping' and here's a cheap fix: the OEM radio has an auxilary input (mine was on the back. My dash simply lifts up and I ran the cable through a switch blank that can be easily popped back in.) that can be used for an MP3 player / iPod. Last trip to Disneyland: an 8-hour music playlist with no commercials and no CD skip. The cable was $6 at Radio Shack.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The radio wiring was easy. All the wiring from the OEM plug run, Red-Yellow-Ground are standard; then the speaker wires (which are different colors) run in pairs and you just have to cut and splice in pairs one is + and the next wire with the black strip is the - , and the same for all the speakers. The wiring was easy.

This a 2008 Sony radio with MP jack on front and it is satellite ready. Some radios have the jack on the rear and you needed to buy an extra cable. The power to the speakers is 17 watt and is plenty. Some radios had 45 watt of power and the salesman said that was not necessary and may be too much without switching out all the speakers, I agree. The stock OEM speakers work just fine. I'm a basic radio listener and did not need a $2000+ radio system like my neighbor has in his truck....

The filler plate below the radio is a piece of ABS (plastic) that I got from Best Buy where I purchased the radio. The ABS came in a larger square and I used a razor knife to cut the correct size.

Thanks for your comments, we are enjoying music and news again.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Outstanding and looks great . We don't use the radio much since it doesn't seem to work that well and the CD player skips when we hit bumps in the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same problem regarding the CD 'skipping' and here's a cheap fix: the OEM radio has an auxilary input (mine was on the back. My dash simply lifts up and I ran the cable through a switch blank that can be easily popped back in.) that can be used for an MP3 player / iPod. Last trip to Disneyland: an 8-hour music playlist with no commercials and no CD skip. The cable was $6 at Radio Shack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our rig has a 10 disc changer in an overhead compartment but we rarely use it. I do have an I-Pod with a little FM transmitter that lets it talk to your car radio....I need to try that.

Thanks for the tip.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
gMw
Winnebago Owner

I too have a 10 CD player, which works fine, but wanted more. So I bought an MP3 player last year and plugged it directly into the DHS surround sound amp, which eliminates FM transmitter and or radio problems. I mounted a switch in the dash to switch the DHS between the dash radio, TV, and MP3 player.

FYI... I have an FM transmitter for use with the MP3 player, which I use in our Jeep, but found around major cities, there's often interference when near certain FM stations.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Nice work Gary! I knew you would stay busy in retirement!!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Nice install. I went with the Sony a couple of years ago and went with cassette instead of cd player so we could listen to cheap books on tape. I was planning on putting in a cd changer, but they are hard to find now.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Gary,

How tough was it to get the Magnadyne out? Mine recently decided to just quit working and I have to have my music when going down the road. I really don't want to have to pay anyone to swap out the radio. Doing wiring doesn't scare me.
Mike
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi Mike: In your folder from Winnebago there is a Magnadyne bag with two metal forks. Push these forks into the sides of the radio and the radio unclips and slides out real easy.

If you are near Simi Valley in SoCal I could help you with the project.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary CA:
Hi Mike: In your folder from Winnebago there is a Magnadyne bag with two metal forks. Push these forks into the sides of the radio and the radio unclips and slides out real easy.

If you are near Simi Valley in SoCal I could help you with the project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,
Thank you for the info. Now that you mention it I do remember the forks taped to the inside of the manual. I appreciate the offer and if I got stuck I'll drop you a PM. I'm down here in Poway (San Diego) so it's not too far to your location.

Mike
Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Great job Gary. You're such a pro at this stuff.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary, is the check antenna light OEM or add on? Great idea, I've already mangled one.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #17

Johns Hilley says::
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was planning on putting in a cd changer, but they are hard to find now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can find quite a few different brands Here
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Seems like problem on the road is to find good local radio stations (music-talk-sports etc.) I bought this book from Barnes and Nobel. Now use it just like any other directory in the travel pouch.

When I stop I can now listen to good local station if available or.. 60 + Sat channels/FX on DirecTv...or 10 CD player.

"Bring Music to Your Ears:AM & FM Radio Station Listings, States & Cities" by
Crawley, Michael

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp...tates+%26+Cities&z=y
Old 02-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Nice clean job.

Has anyone found a DIN sized radio to replace the Magnadyne ? The only one I have found is Pioneer

I fear I am not as handy and would like to replace with the same size.

Another addition to help the radio reception is a Sirius Sat. Radio. Plenty to listen too.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XBoater:
Nice clean job.

Has anyone found a DIN sized radio to replace the Magnadyne ? The only one I have found is Pioneer

I fear I am not as handy and would like to replace with the same size.

Another addition to help the radio reception is a Sirius Sat. Radio. Plenty to listen too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and don't forget HD Radio..
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learnin...tml?print=1&page=all