Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Remote Sony 10 disc CD Changer wiring

Hi,
I pulled out the Sony CD 10 disc changer out of my 2003 Journey 36DL GD and wondered where the one cable that was plugged into the audio out jack went to. I was hoping to be able to connect an iPod to it and have it play through the system. From what I've learned to get the sound from the CD changer you set the radio to 88.6 on the FM band and that did work. So where does this audio cable run to? I got bleary eyed looking at the schematics and really didn't find much on the Sony 10 disc remote unit.

On another note - on some other forums I have heard of an audio cable that hangs out of the back of the in-dash radio for Aux input but I haven't found that cable. Anyone had any experience with either of these 2 situations?

Thanks
Ben
Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I removed my Sony 10 Disk Changer too. I found it to be about as useful as that CRT television that came with my coach.

I wouldn't use any connection that relied on tuning your radio station to pick up the weak FM signal being broadcast by the player. IMO, it's much better to tap in to the aux connection at the back of your radio.

I ran a single wire stereo cable from the aux connection, through a hole I drilled in my dash that is just above the driver's right knee. There I mounted an iPod cradle that plugs in to the lighter socket. The stereo cable plugs in to the headphone jack on the iPod.

Good Luck

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Rick - Thanks for the info. I've pulled the VCR and the TVs are going soon also! When I look at the back of the radio I don't see an aux audio cable hanging down like some people have described. Is it just a jack to plug an audio cable into? What was yours like?

Thanks again
Ben
Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I do believe I had a little pig tail cable to plug in to.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My rig came with an Audiovox VR180 in-dash radio that does not have the pig tails or aux in jacks. It only has an 8 pin DIN jack on the back for connecting a CD changer(CDC). I wanted to plug my TV's RCA audio out into my radio so I could have a poor man's surround sound. I have the pin-out for the 8 pin, but nothing works as an aux input. I found out I need what is called a "CDC Emulator". It fools the radio into thinking a CDC is connected. Not cheap and complicated to build.

I ended getting one of those cassette tape adapters that lets you input a CD player or what ever to the tape portion of the radio. I had to build a LM386 amp as the RCA output is too low for the radio. I can control the volume with the radio to adjust the surround effect and the remote controls the master volume. I only have about 1" of wire showing from the cassette adapter to where it disappears behind the dash. The amp is in the fuse compartment below the dash top cover.

Not sure what you are trying to do. Hope this helps. I think the output from an iPod would be enough that you wouldn't need an amp. Just connect it to the cassette adapter. If you need one, I have a couple extra ones.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On the Sony 10 disc changer without the owner's manual, the installer's manual (Both of which you can download from SONY) or the service manual I'd not be sure that jack is, in fact, audio at all.

Now, as to the readios with the multi-pin aux jacks, I have had two of them one is a kenwood (The jack is indeed labeled aux) and the other a Pioneer (Jack is labeled IP, short for Input).

Both companies sell an adapter or 2 or 3 or 4 or more to fit these jacks.. On the kenwood I got the "AUX-Line in" module, plugged it in, plugged (with the proper adapter cord) in my Mini-Disc or CD player (This radio did not play CD out of the box) and enjoied good music.

With the Pioneer, (Which plays one cd) I also got the aux-in module (3rd party) which lets me play Mini-Disc just fine.

Boty are direct connect, radio display shows AUX

I also have the abliilty to send via FM using a "Beam-IT" FM transmitter, (What I used BEFORE I got the proper adapters).

With Pioneer's IP bus. I can plug in a satellite radio (Sirus I think) a multi-CD player and the AUX input for an I-Pot or MD player.. I prefer MD to I-anyting.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I going to try and get a mirror behind it this weekend or just pull the radio out to see if there is a aux input jack on it. I would think there is since there is a aux button on the front. I'll let every know how it turns out.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Update- I just went to Sony's web site and looked at the manual for a similar model (couldn't remember mine of the top of my head) and what it looks like is the "audio" out (from the Sony 10 disc box up in the cabinet above the passenger) goes to a relay box that the roof antenna feeds into also then the relay box feeds into the antenna input on the back of the radio. So that means it's not like these wireless FM broadcasters like we see for the iPods but a direct feed into the radio's antenna input. Makes sense right? I still and going to try and find the aux input for that radio. It's either me or the radio now!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Update- I just went to Sony's web site and looked at the manual for a similar model (couldn't remember mine of the top of my head) and what it looks like is the "audio" out (from the Sony 10 disc box up in the cabinet above the passenger) goes to a relay box that the roof antenna feeds into also then the relay box feeds into the antenna input on the back of the radio. So that means it's not like these wireless FM broadcasters like we see for the iPods but a direct feed into the radio's antenna input. Makes sense right? I still and going to try and find the aux input for that radio. It's either me or the radio now!

Ahh yes, my memory returns. You are absolutely right about that. There is a separate box that ties the disc changer to the radio via the antenna system. The signal is passed through the antenna cable to the radio where you tune it in via FM (I think it was 88.1 or 88.3), you had a choice as I recall. I have the audio vox radio and I am considering pulling it for a different unit that will will allow me to play MP3s. At that juncture, I can actually ditch the disk changer because I can literally put 1000's of songs on an SD card or USB drive. If you end up pulling the radio, you might want to consider it. They really are getting cheap.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Ok - So it's a tie. I've found out the the MagnaDyne M9900 doesn't have an aux input. What I was thinking was an aux input button was the mode button to switch from cassette to CD. Will be looking for an upgrade with an iPod input soon. Although I do like the weather band function on this radio. on a side note I did mange to pull out the old CRT TV in the bedroom this weekend so that will take priority over the radio. Having a gaping hole with wires hanging out in the bedroom it is not going to earn me any points.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
wiring