Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The clock radio/cd player on the wall in the bedroom has started coming on by itself.
It has done this several times. It was definately off when I left the coach a week ago, and it was on when we returned yesterday.

It does it when we are hooked to shore power.
It does it when we are not hooked to shore power.

The radio in our outside entertainment compartment comes on by itself every time we switch the AUX BAT Switch from off to on. But, the bedroom radio is coming on for no reason that we can isolate.

I'm thinking there is some sort of 12v power interruption, but have no idea what could be causing it.

Any suggestions?

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The clock radio/cd player on the wall in the bedroom has started coming on by itself.
It has done this several times. It was definately off when I left the coach a week ago, and it was on when we returned yesterday.

It does it when we are hooked to shore power.
It does it when we are not hooked to shore power.

The radio in our outside entertainment compartment comes on by itself every time we switch the AUX BAT Switch from off to on. But, the bedroom radio is coming on for no reason that we can isolate.

I'm thinking there is some sort of 12v power interruption, but have no idea what could be causing it.

Any suggestions?

Our homes on the road
Old 03-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Make sure the alarm is not set ...that turns the bedroom radio on (voice of experience...).
Old 03-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, the outside radio is faulty. i had the same thing with mine, only it didnt matter if you switched on the Aux switch or not. it would just come whenever it felt like. There were several other people last year that had the same problem. At the time, it was under warranty and the dealer put a different kind of radio in. I have a feeling Winnebago got ahold of a bunch of bad radios during that time frame. I would call Winne. on it and tell them you arent the only one having such a problem.

As far as the inside radio, Joe K had the same problem I think. I have sent him an email so he can address this with you. if I remember right, it is one of your overhead flouresant lights that is causing it. Does it only happen when you switch a light on? or have you noticed it if it does?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JudyandJim:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I'm not the only one that was thinking I was crazy with the bedroom CD/Clock turning on by itself. The radio drove us nuts for several weeks with it being on when we were sure we had turned it off. (and had the alarm turned off) AFChap is right...that could do it too.

After a couple weeks of chasing it, I finally found that the radio would turn itself on when one of the flourescent ceiling lights was on. In my case it was the galley light, but it could be any of the lights.
What was happening with us is that we would always use the ceiling light when entering or leaving the coach and it would make the radio come on.

Check it out the radio operation with the lights as there is a filter capacitor on the on the ballasts that fails from heat and allows electical noise to travel through the 12 volt system and trip the soft start circuitry of the radio.

The Audiovox radio shown below is the one we had the issue with.

If it is your problem, I'll get some info on the capacitor as it is replaceable rather then replacing the ballast.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We also have the same problem. Don't know if the flourescent lights because ours would do it in the middle of the night! No lights on then. We finally just discontected the radio. We never used it anyway. Our Winnebago service center said we needed a new radio. Is the capacitor in the lights? Would like the info on replacing it?
The Lavin's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:37 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Lavin's,
Sounds like your fix was the same as mine initially. I too pulled the radio since the thing was driving us nuts.

I really think the radio has a very sensative soft start circuit. As electronics now become more complex, there's no simple power switch on things that completly remove power from them. Being that the radio has a touch switch to turn it on, and also the alarm function that turns it on, there must be power to the radio at all times. The controller within the radio turns it on when needed and unfortunately, it affected by outside interference.

If you're sure it's not caused by the lights, you may want to put a switch on the positive power supply to the radio and manually disconnect power. As you know from pulling the radio, it is connected to the Winnebago wiring through a plug in harness. Looking at the wires, there will be two power feeds. The green/white wire should be left with a constant 12 volt source so you don't lose your clock settings. The orange/white wire however can be cut and spliced to a switch so you can remove the power to the radio when you wish as a last resort to solve the radio coming on by itself.

The wiring diagram is on page 4 of your manual, which if you don't have it, is available at the link listed below:
http://www.asaelectronics.com/techpdf/awm930.pdf

I sort of stumbled on the fluorescent light fix as the turning on was clearly linked to the fixture. When I looked at the lights, I could see that the electrolytic capacitor on the circuit board exhibited signs of failure. Aluminum electolytic capacitors are constructed with two layers of conductive plates separated by an electrolytic. The package is then encased in a can and sealed with two rubber end seals.

Without getting too complicated, there are a couple ways electrolytics capacitors can fail. One is by the electrolytic drying and allowing the internal resistance of the capacitor to decrease thus allowing it to begin to conduct DC. As the capactitor becomes conductive, it shorts out and fails open which is usually indicated by a blown end cap and residue discharged onto the circuit board. In my case, the silver capacitor on the ballast board, clearly had discharged a small amount of electrolytic onto the ballast and the white metal housing of the light fixture.

Just as an FYI, the other ways capacitors can fail is they can shift in capacitance value or increase their equivalent series resistance, which is the internal resistance that appears in series with the wanted capacitance at a given frequency. Neither of those failures is easy to detect and I doubt you'd run into those failures.

If anyone does trace their strangely acting electronics back to their flourescent lights, check the ballasts for signs of capacitor discharge. When I talked to Thinlite about the problem, they asked wheter my refridgerator acted strangely as they had occasionaly had complaints that the failed ballast caused the newer electronic controls on the RV refridgerators to malfunction.

Their fix is to replace the ballast, and the ballast is covered by a Thinlite 2 year warranty. My fix since I was out of warranty is to replace the capacitor. The picture below is the cap I used to replace the stock one. The value was slightly different, but the temperature and voltage ratings of the capacitor was equal to or higher than the original so it shouldn't fail again.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The alarm is off. Already tried that.

Joe-K, we have the same radio as you have. Thanks for the excellent info.

Coincidentally, our galley flourescent light has recently been acting up. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. We were going to replace the tube.

I'll be going to the MH in a day or so and will check out the light switch theory. However, I know we didn't turn the light switch on when we entered the MH last weekend and found the radio on... but "maybe" we turned the switch off when we left??? Good info!

Our homes on the road
Old 03-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our outside radio, which would come on when we used the AUX switch, eventually began coming on for no apparent reason (usually in the middle of the night). Jim finally just disconnected it. That was last summer. We haven't been using the MH much the past few months and I forgot about it until this new problem occurred.

By the time it started acting up, it was out of warranty. I'm going to check into replacing it because I really like having music on when we are relaxing on our patio, watching the seagulls.... Only a few more weeks and we will be back at our lovely site on San Diego Bay.

Our homes on the road
Old 05-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I JUST TURN VOLUME TO 0 AND DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR AND IT DOES NOT SEEM TO EFFECT BATTERIES. RONNIE
schiappa is offline   Reply With Quote