Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question: Replacing Front TV

I am in the process of replacing the front television. The current tv had the small mini-plug that allowed the TV volume control to control the sound to the Winnebago supplied surround. Am I correct in understanding that as long as the new TV I purchase has a headphone jack I can simply plug into this and everything should work like the original TV did? I know there are many here that have done some sort of modifications to newer televisions that have allowed them to work through the surround, but I am trying to avoid that. Thanks for the help.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It should work off the headphone jack.

The key thing you are looking for is "variable" sound output that's controlled by your tv remote. The surround sound looks to the tv to control the volume, and many of the 'audio out' on the newer tvs are 'fixed.' Headphone is usually 'variable' and should work.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if the headphone jack can power the external speakers in the Winnebago. I have a 2000 Adventurer and I made sure my new tv had audio out connections. It is also a mono sound system to the speakers, not really a surround sound. Had to wire both sides of the RCA jacks to the mono wire. Get sound and power to external speakers and they have their own volume controls.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You can also use analog RCA outputs to that 1/8th stereo connector.
These are not "powering" the speakers in the Winnebago, they're just providing a signal to something else that is amplifying it..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
You can also use analog RCA outputs to that 1/8th stereo connector.
These are not "powering" the speakers in the Winnebago, they're just providing a signal to something else that is amplifying it..
I understand what you are saying, but I believe as it is now (with original TV) the output is is variable in that when the "surround speakers" are selected the volume is adjusted by raising and lowering the volume on the TV itself. If the RCA jacks were simply wired into a 1/8 connector there would be no way to adjust the volume that i know of. Am I missing something?

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I am unsure where that signal is being amplified except at the tv. Mine is wired from the tv to a radio/tv selector switch, which only sends the signal to the speakers, not amplified. Do you not have any volume controls at your external speakers? What year is your rig? I believe that if you use the headphone jack, you cut off the tv speakers, where audio out jacks allows the use of both sets of speakers.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I am unsure where that signal is being amplified except at the tv. Mine is wired from the tv to a radio/tv selector switch, which only sends the signal to the speakers, not amplified. Do you not have any volume controls at your external speakers? What year is your rig? I believe that if you use the headphone jack, you cut off the tv speakers, where audio out jacks allows the use of both sets of speakers.
We have the same set up. There is a 1/8 plug that plugs into the rear of the TV (Where it is plugged in at the TV is not marked, it is if it was added to the TV by Winnie during install). From the TV the cable runs to the radio/TV selector switch. When TV is selected and, dash stereo is on, the volume is controlled through the TV, not by adjusting the stereo volume.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
If the RCA jacks were simply wired into a 1/8 connector there would be no way to adjust the volume that i know of. Am I missing something?

Usually RCA outputs (analog) are variable output. IE - using the TV remote impacts the volume.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Agreed, the RCA jacks are variable and controlled by your remote. My external speakers also have their own volume controls at the speakers. Does your rig have the same? I still believe that if you use the headphone jack, your tv speakers will not work. That is the whole idea of the headphones.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Agreed, the RCA jacks are variable and controlled by your remote. My external speakers also have their own volume controls at the speakers. Does your rig have the same? I still believe that if you use the headphone jack, your tv speakers will not work. That is the whole idea of the headphones.
I agree. Using headphone option seems as though it would over ride the TV speakers. I will use RCA pluses and see how it goes.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 08-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I did not go out and look for a RCA stereo to mono mini adapter, I just cut the original mini off and wired both sides of the RCA plugs into the mono wire to the selector switch.