Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've read many, many, many old posts about dealing with the hiss & hum in the Q Surround sound systems. What I haven't read is: has anyone found a "fix?" I'm wondering if an RCA loop filter will work? I'm an accountant - know nothing about electronics - but from what I'm reading online, it seems that it may help. For about $15 it seems worth a try to me.

On another note: does anyone else have the exterior entertainment center on their 40AD? The radio/CD/DVD system has RCA plugs coming INTO the unit - what do they connect from?

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've read many, many, many old posts about dealing with the hiss & hum in the Q Surround sound systems. What I haven't read is: has anyone found a "fix?" I'm wondering if an RCA loop filter will work? I'm an accountant - know nothing about electronics - but from what I'm reading online, it seems that it may help. For about $15 it seems worth a try to me.

On another note: does anyone else have the exterior entertainment center on their 40AD? The radio/CD/DVD system has RCA plugs coming INTO the unit - what do they connect from?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That is the worst system that Winnebago could have installed. I installed a ground loop isolator (as per Winnebago support)and it may have helped. It is not very expensive but the one from Radio Shack did not have the right plugs.
On the exterior radio one of the plugs is probably the antenna.

2005 Itasca Horizon 40 AD
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

There's an electrical device in behind your TV that looks about the size of a D cell battery with wires coming off each end. Remove the filter from the enclosure and then try your TV. I'm sure you will notice that the hummmmm has disappeared.

My filter is hanging in space at the moment but I also have a 0 humm to noise ratio.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The device DriVer is referring to is crammed in behind your TV. To eliminate the buzzing noise, you have to first pull the device out from the back (I had to remove the TV to access mine). Then, move the device around until you find a location where the buzzing noise stops. I then used velcro tape to attach the device to the back of the TV housing. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I think the problem lies in the sound system itself. The hiss is constant even if nothing is "on" (I understand there is still juice flowing even when "off") At night, we have to switch the sound system from HOUSE to ENGINE to get the hissing to quiet for sleeping. Cuts all noise from the system.

I ordered the RCA ground loop filter from Crutchfields yesterday. I'll install it on the sound system to see if that helps. If not, then I'll start filtering all of the appliances feeding the system (radios, TV, etc)

Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I installed the RCA ground loop filter on the Q-Surround system over the weekend. Took care of about 95% of the hissing - well worth the $17!