Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Mtcsatx

Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

How difficult is this to install and where in the system does it connect? I have a 50 but just downsized to a navion with only a 30 amp system.
Mtcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's pretty easy to install in most situations but I'm not familiar with your rig so access may be an issue.

Essentially you're going to install it so that the shore power cord attaches to it before attaching to anything else. For those of us with larger rigs, our power compartments are pretty big and it's a simple matter of locating a mounting position, cutting the shore power cord so the inboard piece will reach the EMS, installing terminals on the ends of the wires and hooking the EMS up to the two pieces of the shore power cord. Electrically, it's akin to installing an electrical outlet in your house, three wires in and three wires out.

I looked at the Navion manual and, although it doesn't show the inside of the shore power compartment, it looks pretty small and maybe only has room for the cord. If that's the case, you'll have to follow the cord inside and locate a reachable spot to mount everything. The key is that there should be nothing between the EMS unit and the campground pedestal except the shore power cord. Before I had a MH I had to install the EMS under my kitchen sink. Since the monitor is remote, the unit itself doesn't have to be visible.

In either case, make sure the shore power cord is well-secured after it exits the EMS so it doesn't pull loose as you pull on the cord to hook and unhook from shore power.

If access is a major issue, you might be better served by a portable unit.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The EMS (whether hardwired or portable) is a sound investment. It has saved our bacon at least once; a CG pedestal had hot and neutral swapped. I've put one in each of our two TTs; much easier to install the actual EMS in the Keystone versus the Winnebago due to where I had to put it, but much easier to route the remote monitor in the Winnebago. Their phone support is also very good if you need assistance in setup or operation. Best wishes - it's relatively easy to do.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Things are a little tight in the Navion electrical compartment so you might want to consider the PT-30X model. It is a portable version of the HW-30 models. To really protect your coach, you want the system to be setup as follows: Power post -> EMS -> coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Mtcsatx

Thanks Bob, portable seems easier for now. Marty Caldwell
Old 03-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Mtcsatx

Thank you.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Installing EMS in View/Navion

We had an electrician help us install this EMS in the compartment where the power cable is kept. It is a bit tight, but what I did to make it work was to lower the plug for the generator as low as it would go and remove the junction box that was above it (it just connects the shore power cable to the interior wiring. In its place there was room for the EMS. Connections were quite easy as the wires from the old junction box were already set for being connected to the EMS- shore power cable on one end, and the interior wiring on the other end. The hardest part was contorting the drill to screw in the EMS to the existing backing board. In the end there was still plenty of room for the 30’ shore power cable. I have pictures. Let me know if you want them ([email protected])
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just emailed jcurtisis to get some of your install pics, doing the same to my 2007 View. Thanks !!
usaborn_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just sent them. Let me know if you have questions.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I've got a Navion 24J and installed it on the ceiling of the back compartment where the power cord is (definitely a tight fit)... I mounted the remote display unit on our corner bed base where there's no visible wires, but the display is clearly visible from the entry door when hooking up power and monitoring power draw. Worked out perfectly!
abqmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My 2 cents is be careful about installing anywhere inside the coach - the units hum and buzz a bit in operation, and that might get annoying.

If you can replace an electrical outlet, you will have no trouble with this project.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Nice Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Just sent them. Let me know if you have questions.
Thanks for the pics JC, this may just get me motivated to do the install soon 😉
usaborn_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
Happy Camper

Installed mine in between the Transfer switch and the main distribution electrical panel to protect the rig from CG and generator set problems.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
My 2 cents is be careful about installing anywhere inside the coach - the units hum and buzz a bit in operation, and that might get annoying.

If you can replace an electrical outlet, you will have no trouble with this project.
I used rubber grommets as spacers to isolate the unit from the floor when I screwed it down. Seems to have done the trick.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Super. I don’t get any noise and just used regular drywall srcews to hold it in place on the backing board. I also didn’t put the remote controller inside, but just Velcroed it to the side of the unit - that works better as I can see right away if there is any problem when I plug in. Happy Trails!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Mtcsatx, just to let you know, it is indeed easy to install, and it does work as advertised. Two weeks after we installed it, it stopped a bad thing from happening at an older CG - would have fried our electronics otherwise. Also, while we don't really have the humming thing, the first few times you plug in, after about 15 seconds delay you'll hear an "electrical pop." It's normal I was told. Still, it took a few times before I began listening for it so I'd know we were ready to go. A really good investment. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtisis View Post
Super. I don’t get any noise and just used regular drywall srcews to hold it in place on the backing board. I also didn’t put the remote controller inside, but just Velcroed it to the side of the unit - that works better as I can see right away if there is any problem when I plug in. Happy Trails!
I also have my remote next to the unit since it's so visible in the electrical bay. If there's ever a problem, the power will cut-out and I'll be opening the bay anyway. Make sure you post a copy of the error codes next to the remote.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

The simple and easy way to install is to disconnect the feed to the main breaker and connect it to the EMS input inside the coach. Then run a new cable of the same size from the EMS output to the main feed at the breaker panel. No need to have small hands wrestling in the coach basement.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote