Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

OTR wireless

Anyone have experience with this group? Claiming unlimited data on ATT wireless router?
Touchdown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Not familiar with their group.I do have an unlimited plan through AT&T so they do exist.
I've got a ZTE Mobley device directly from AT&T with unlimited cellular subject to network availability after 22GB/month (a plan that is no longer offered). It's costing about $25/month.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No direct experience. As I understand it, ATT sells Enterprise (big business) unlimited wireless plans in bulk for as little as $20/mo/line.

Some entrepreneurs set up accounts with ATT on such terms and then resell the lines/SIMs at a markup. Your monthly bill would come from them.

You can some cheaper than $60/month on ebay by searching "att unlimited data".

Here's one for $35/month...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Unlimi...e6a15b3e2982e7
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have Verizon for cell service. I have their unlimited plan, although the data slows to 600kbps after 25G or so. I use my cellphone as a mobile hotspot for all the computers, etc in the rv. It works well.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We had unlimited ATT but have put it in vaca mode and are trying Verizon prepay unlimited hotspot, no throttling! We summer in a no ATT zone, which is what prompted the Verizon trial. On good evenings we can stream GOT without buffering. I wish I could figure out what constitutes a good evening! We pay $70 with taxes, no discounts, on prepay. We did our phones too, $35. each 8G with a free upgrade to 15G each. So far so good! No experience with third party sellers. That ebay thing can go away in a heartbeat. We did buy our jetpack on Ebay.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Even with throttling to 600kbps, I can stream video very reliably on my mobile Verison Hotspot (cell). Large, bulk uploads/downloads are horrifically slow, like purchasing a program online and downloading it. I f I do need t download a huge file, I wait till the "data month" resets and get it then at full speed.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have 5 gig on an A T & T friends and family plan. We find many places--even in major cities where A T & T is not received well enough to do internet. Thru FMCA we got their 25 Gig Verizon plan, for $50 a month--free Jet Pack. It has worked well, and we never seem to get over 25g--but did definitely go over the 5 G.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
I have 5 gig on an A T & T friends and family plan. We find many places--even in major cities where A T & T is not received well enough to do internet. Thru FMCA we got their 25 Gig Verizon plan, for $50 a month--free Jet Pack. It has worked well, and we never seem to get over 25g--but did definitely go over the 5 G.
Do you use a cell signal booster?
Touchdown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulooch1958 View Post
Even with throttling to 600kbps, I can stream video very reliably on my mobile Verison Hotspot (cell).
Streaming video in even 320p requires a minimum of 1 mbps or 3g service. 600kbps is 2g Service. So, not sure how this is possible.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I mostly watch streaming video on my PC from Netflix, I think they buffer a huge amt. It takes quite a while to start a movie, but works fine once started. I use the phone itself for HBO, so I expect the data rate can be less with a smaller screen.

Of course as soon as I wrote that I could stream reliably, I had issues with Youtube all night. I think it must come down to how much they buffer the stream.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You might consider Visible, it is a Verizon prepaid plan. You get unlimited and un-throttled voice, text, data on the smart phone you subscribe to it for an all-in price of $ 40 per month. It also includes un-limited but throttled to 5 megabits per second hotspot data thru the hot spot on the cell phone. I am using it and am very satisfied. Works everywhere there is Verizon coverage. Right now they are offering a $ 100 sign on bonus if you bring your own device, and $ 200 sign on bonus if you buy a new device when you sign on. You can get an additional bonus of $ 20 if you use my referral code of vBF6q.

I am using Visible thru my iPhone 7 Plus Hotspot with my Amazon Fire TV Stick with great results. 5 Megabits per second seems to be enough to stream HDTV with good quality to a large TV.

I also use WeBoost Drive Sleek Cradle Signal Booster to boost the Verizon signal to the iPhone 7 Plus that I am using for hot spot when areas I can get Verizon but the signal is weak. With the iPhone in the cradle and the signal booster antenna on the RV roof it improves the data quality and speed.

Here's a link to check Visible out that includes the code: Visible
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Smile TOGO Roadlink

We installed the TOGO Roadlink about 2 weeks ago, install was simple but the only service provider is AT&T via a pre paid unlimited service for $360/year. We have Verizon phones that we've been using as hot spots but the last two campgrounds had no Verizon service...our TOGO worked wonderfully. We now have a wireless network that our printer and Roku can connect to and we've already used 170GB of data without a hiccup. We've also been able to change our Verizon plan so that we will save over $700 per year. The unit is $399 plus the $360 for unlimited AT&T. We still have the option of using our Verizon hot spot if needed as well.

Gary & Marcia Rousseau
2005 Itasca Horizon
2016 Jeep Cherokee
VeloRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloRV View Post
We installed the TOGO Roadlink about 2 weeks ago, install was simple but the only service provider is AT&T via a pre paid unlimited service for $360/year. We have Verizon phones that we've been using as hot spots but the last two campgrounds had no Verizon service...our TOGO worked wonderfully. We now have a wireless network that our printer and Roku can connect to and we've already used 170GB of data without a hiccup. We've also been able to change our Verizon plan so that we will save over $700 per year. The unit is $399 plus the $360 for unlimited AT&T. We still have the option of using our Verizon hot spot if needed as well.

Gary & Marcia Rousseau
2005 Itasca Horizon
2016 Jeep Cherokee
You might consider Verizon's prepaid brand , Visible , for your back up Verizon data service. $ 40 per month for unlimited everything including hot spot data, but hot spot is rate limited to 5 megabits per second. $ 200 sign up bonus, and they sell the ZTE R2 Android smartphone to run the hotspot on for only $ 19. As a bonus, you'll have a backup phone on the Verizon network if your phone on a different network does not have coverage.

You can use the link and code in post # 11 above to save an additional $ 20.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchdown2 View Post
Do you use a cell signal booster?
Yes, I have a Wilson antenna and pre amp. You have to have a cell signal--there are many places where A T & T have none.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Have you found any help with your OTR queries? As it turns out, at the end of August we became disgusted with Verizon and their so called "unlimited" plans, all of them. My wife did extensive research and found them all to be limited in some form or another.
She found OTR Mobile to be true to their word. The value is excellent for what we need. The equipment is somewhat inexpensive and available at any Best Buy store. A word of advice: purchase the 40 dollar Protection Plan. It comes in handy if your equipment fails and you need to get back online in a pinch. The customer service is the only complaint we have about them. It's not a "Verizon Customer Service" kind of problem where their only interest seems to be the bottom line. We think OTR tries to handle too much customer with too little help. It's like the "Mom & Pop" of wireless. They assured me a couple weeks ago that they are working to add additional support.
By the way, we both work from our rig. She's a medical coder working remotely which requires seamless network reliability to maintain productivity. I'm a graphic designer that uses the internet to network with my remaining clients.
OTR Mobile is 4 out of 5 stars in our opinion. So long as they are interested in helping full-time RV-ers to stay connected and not just absorbed in the profitability.

https://thefinchnest.wixsite.com/rollthroughourlives
thefinchnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #16
Site Team

Notice for the people that have the Togo / Weingard year plan for $360. It looks like at renewal time (and after Jan 15, 2020) this plan will not be renewed by AT&T. Supposedly the unit will be unlocked but they will no longer be giving the unlimited data as originally intended.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ale...ary-16th-2020/

I'm on one of the Mobley plans and hoping that this plan is not sunsetted too as I rely on it 100% for work. We're going off the road in April 2020 (from fulltiming) and I hope what I have can get me that far at least. I may be asking thefinchnest some further questions if my service is interupted.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I may be asking thefinchnest some further questions if my service is interupted.
Ask away! We'll try to give you as much info as we know. To date, four months now, we have enjoyed the service overall. It has its imperfections, but even when our Netgear Nighthawk had a minor meltdown, it was reliable.

I'm also hoping that AT&T is not putting the screws to all the third party vendors, as OTR uses their network towers as well.

https://thefinchnest.wixsite.com/rollthroughourlives
thefinchnest is offline   Reply With Quote