Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

No surround sound

We have a 2008 38J. That's the floor plan that has the 32 inch TV amidships. It has a multifunction DVD player and built-in surround sound speakers. The problem is the only sound I can get is from the TV speakers and nothing from the surrounds even when playing DVD movies with surround. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone had similar problems or ideas of things I can try? This is when we're plugged into shore power.

Thanks!
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Jim
Your problem definitely in thhe DVD/amp. Owners manual will tell you the settings you need to be on to get the surround sound to work. I used to have the same problem. I finally got it solved and then I wrote down the setting. Makes life simpler.
If you know the make of your DVD player that might help us help you.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Jim,
Check your owner's manual. That's where I found how to get my surround sound to work. If you don't have your owner's manual, you can download it from Winnebagoind.com.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You'll need to watch closely when going thru the instruction in the manual. In my case the pictures of the control did not correspond with the controller I had, 1 key button I needed to use was in a different location on the controler then in the instructions.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post
We have a 2008 38J. That's the floor plan that has the 32 inch TV amidships. It has a multifunction DVD player and built-in surround sound speakers. The problem is the only sound I can get is from the TV speakers and nothing from the surrounds even when playing DVD movies with surround. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone had similar problems or ideas of things I can try? This is when we're plugged into shore power.

Thanks!
check the tv menu and make sure that the "variable output to speakers'' is turned on. my radio/tv switch must be in the radio position also. the red yellow and white rca output plugs on the back of the tv must be hooked up.
mine were disconnected when i bought my moho about 7 years ago.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We've been working through the same issues on our 2013 Adventurer. It seems there's far more trial and error than necessary. We have a Sony Home Theater system, a CAT matrix system, and a Samsung TV.

Unfortunately the Sony Home Theater System (surround sound) manual makes the assumption it's hooked up to a Sony television and a Sony matrix system. There are significant enough differences between the brands that the instructions don't work as easily as they could. The manuals are written by people who already know how to setup and operate the systems and they gloss over steps that are critical to making the various brands interact seamlessly.

The setup and activation that should take 15 minutes or less, sometimes takes hours. Mainly because different manufacturers use different terminology to describe the same feature, and are so familiar with their own equipment they don't realize someone new to this arena doesn't have the same background and knowledge level
Old 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2006 Voyage 33V had a dead DVD player in the Sony DVD/VHS Surround Sound unit when we bought the MH. No replacement units are available anywhere that we could find. Adapted a Sony DAV-TZ140 to replace the old unit with minor mods to remove the speaker plugs from the Winnebago wiring. $128.00 at Wal-Mart.
jputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post

Thanks!
By some chance do you have a switch on the dash that says "House/Engine"? That may be your problem. Place it in the "House" battery position if you have this option. My '05 Vectra was that way.