Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No Sound From Radio or Surround Sound

We started out on a short trip yesterday and when we turned the radio on, no sound came from the speakers. All the switches were positioned properly and other than having no sound the radio appeared to be operating properly. When we arrived at our destination I found that the surround sound system was not working either. I pulled the manual to confirm that the SS was configured correctly, which it was, and still no sound came from either the radio or surround sound system.

I couldn't find a fuse or circuit breaker that appeared to be for the surround sound system, amplifier (I don't know where that is located either) or radio speakers and I don"t have clue how to proceed.

We are full-timers and the radio was working properly a week ago and the surround sound system worked properly the last time we watched a movie, which was about 2 weeks ago.

Is there a fuse or breaker that I am missing? Also, if anyone knows where the amp is located I would appreciate that information too.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is your SPEAKER SOURCE switch.."Radio/TV". ( overhead compt, pass side) correctly positioned?... Its common to have the Speaker Selection left in the TV position. Thats why I moved mine to the dash, so wifey didnt have to unbucle and put it right. I'm betting its the Speaker Selection switch..., rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the switch to me..Lets hope so. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Also check the 2 wire connectors on the back of the radio/tv switch...One of mine fell off..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On our coach, the amp is located under the dash, passenger side. I can see it easily by removing the computer tray. It is vertical, in the corner behind the panel holding the dash A/C duct outlets.

I have not had the need to trace down a fuse yet. But schematic at riverparkinc.com, tech section, indicates a 3 and 7.5 amp fuse.

I would check the dash power switch to insure you have power leaving to amp.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The surround sound is working, but no sound from the radio. The power selector and the radio/TV speaker switches are in the correct position and the wires to the switches are connected. The radio works in every respect except that no sound comes from the speakers. Very frustrating. I did a visual inspection with the dash open but I didn't see any unconnected wires.

I keep thinking that the problem is something simple, like a setting or something, but I have looked at all the settings a dozen times.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

It sounds like maybe the source selector switch may be bad or connection bad.

Check out http://www.riverparkinc.com/techpdf/...leshooting.pdf

The selector switch actually switches the amp itself.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My coach radio will NOT work unless the Aux. Battery (house battery) switch, near the steps, is in the ON position. The house battery powers the amp for the dash radio.
Surround sound, if you do not use it a lot and I find I can kind of be forgetfull, has to have several steps done to work. Dash TV switch to TV, then the DVD player is on (amp for the surround sound is IN the DVD player) and finally the volume on the DVD player is pushed up so you can hear it.

Happy trails.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I don't have anything further to offer, but I'm interested as to how this turns out.. BTW, My 04 Adventurer is NOT wired like Stevegd007...Go figure...rgr...
Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried or checked them all and I still don't have sound from the radio. I removed it earlier today and everything in the rear was connected as it should be. I have not found any fuses that might be protecting the amp/speaker circuits yet, so that remains a slim possibility.

I think that this is isolated to the radio, though, but I can't figure where the problem might be, unless the rocker switch (TV/Radio) is bad. That is doubtful as it cuts the TV surround sound off when Radio is selected.

I am about to the point of just trashing the Magnadyne and replacing it with another radio. If anyone has a suggestion about a good replacement, by all means shoot it this way.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Dave, a shot in the dark.. Could your steering wheel mounted " Magic Button" control be giving trouble, ie. "volume stuck in the down position".. Easy to disconnect or disable...rgr...
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hey Jim. I don't have a "magic button" on the steering wheel, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm open to any suggestions on what to try next. Worked perfectly one day and not the next.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Dave - You've probably already tried this, but push the reset button on the radio face. It's a small recessed button that requires using a ball point pen or such to push it. It may be labeled "reset" or "enter". I know you've had it disconnected from power which would reset most stuff, but there may be something in non-volatile memory that needs to be cleared...worth a shot...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

First thing I tried Tom. But keep the suggestions coming, I need all I can get.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Update:

I decided to install a new radio and went to Best Buy for the radio and installation. I decided on a Kenwood satellite ready radio with Bluetooth and a ton of other features. The technician installed the radio and guess what? No sound. After checking each speaker wire he found that one of the speakers had shorted out which forced the radio into protect mode. Turns out that the Magnadyne radio was good after all (I have it in storage). Anyway, I like the Kenwood much better than the Magnadyne, and I really like being able to make and take phone calls with the Bluetooth feature when we are on the road.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #16

See if you have sound from the wires going into the amp. They should have a blue wire that goes from radio to amp that turns the amp on when radio is turned on.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote