Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ok all you HAMs! I finally got my new radio on it's way...

Bought a Yaesu FT857D along with the ATAS120 Ant. System.

Looking for advice and opinions on installation of both units.

I am thinking rear ladder, but am curious to what anyone else has done with thier installs on similar radios.

Thanks!

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ok all you HAMs! I finally got my new radio on it's way...

Bought a Yaesu FT857D along with the ATAS120 Ant. System.

Looking for advice and opinions on installation of both units.

I am thinking rear ladder, but am curious to what anyone else has done with thier installs on similar radios.

Thanks!

John

Old 12-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Nice pick, John. Are you planning to operate while driving, or only while set up in the CG? I have an older Yaesu HF rig, and use it, along with a few Ham Stiks which screw on to a ladder mount. Of course this is strictly for stationary op, but if that works for you, it's a simple install. I worked some great DX with this setup, which sort of curbs any ambition I might have for a better antenna setup.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well, thats a tough question.

I would like to have the ability, mostly since when we move from place to place, my partner follows in the 2nd car. I can not however see going down the road working an HF station, however, I could see on short trips while Derek is with me, him playing with the radio while I am driving, since we both have tickets.

So, I am hoping to have it "Somewhat possible" even if that means a tip over mount, which I think I am going to use one from Diamond.

I am most concerned about running the 50+ feet of coax, and if the ladder will be adequatly grounded or not.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My ladder isn't grounded, but the antenna loads up ok, with the auto-tuner doing it's job. I'm obviously getting out, judging by the contacts I'm making in Europe and South America, as well as Chicago and New England states (all from Florida).

The tilt-over mount sounds like it might work, or do a search of this forum for 'ham' and see what you find. I think I remember someone else using a screwdriver ant that could be raised while under way. You just need to be aware of your antenna height, as those highway overpasses will not be forgiving!
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
moder2,

I run an FT100 with an ATAS100 antenna. I have 50 feet of coax to the driver's seat. I ran it under the motorhome inside plastic flexible conduit - like Winnebago uses for bundling wires. I have it on the ladder so that the top of the ATAS100 is just below the air conditioner body. The whip extends above it, but that's not any worry. I ran a piece of braided ground down the ladder and to the frame.

Everything works well, and I can get Europe and all of North America. I haven't made any contacts in South America, but I haven't tried either.

My only problem is that I can't tune 20 meters. I can tune either side of 20 meters - 30 meters and 17 meters - but not 20 meters. So far, I haven't figured it out yet.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

I'd be careful about putting the ATAS at the top of the ladder. The body of the antenna will be well above the air conditioners, and you may hit it on trees in the campground or an especially low bridge. If you do, mount the antenna on a spring, or use one of the fold over, motorized mounts. Check the rating of the mount. I believe that Comet does not recommend the ATAS on their fold over mount. That doesn't mean that it won't work. Maybe that is old information. By the way, I tried moving my antenna to the top of the ladder, but it didn't solve my 20 meter problem.

Hope that helps. I believe that the FT857 with an ATAS 120 antenna (I have one in my car) makes and excellent mobile setup, and I wouldn't hesitate to try it on HF while traveling. I did it while I was working, and made many contacts.

Good Luck

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I got it up and running yesterday!

I decided agaisnt the ladder. For one the thought of running 50 ft of coax was not what call fun for a day off. Secondly the idea that it might not work after running all that was even furthermore intimidating.

The night before the install I was poking around up by the drivers seat (My new HAM Shack) and found that the seat belt is connected to a steel tube (1x2) that runs floor to ceiling. I checked that it was grounded and also had no resistence when checked agaisnt a known 12vlt ground source. This made the decsion pretty easy.

I didn't like the idea of drilling through the side, but either way I would have had to drill something, and I guess the sidewall is just as bad as the rear cap. I used a standard 4 bolt Mirror mount bracket, and the "Top" of a SO239 magmmount base. Drilled the mirror mount to mount the SO239 base, and soldered on a piece of RG8.

I Drilled the 4 holes for the mount, and one hole next to the steel beam to run the coax in.

I mounted the ATAS 120 just high enough that when it was fully retracted the top of the coil was at the roof line.

I wanted to use stainless bolts, however I couldn't find them 31/2 inches, so I had to jsut use Zinc plated ones. After getting the mount up I slobbered it full of dicor, then got a Radio Shack project box. Cut the cover about half way, and bored a hole the size of the SO239, and dicored that to cover the "Sin" and to help further ensure no water will get at my connections, or in my holes...

The coax was fairly easy to be concealed down the seat belt frame (I guess it would be called the "B" pilar) and run along the floor to the console on the let side of the drivers seat. I ran the power cable to the House batt relay, and the ground to the ground lug next to the relay.

So far I LOVE the 857, though I am not a big fam of the menu system. I have gotten all good reports on 2m and 70cm. Derek made a 10m contact in Utah this AM. The ATAS tunes awesome!

Overall I am really happy with it. Derek should have a few pics on the blog soon.

Thanks for all your advice!

John N9MXX