Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need help tv replacement

Okay I have seen many replacements for front tv but everyone I saw the tv sat between two cabinets, Our coach had a plastic bezel on the right side over passenger , Problem is there is no cabinet to the right side by window. So not sure how to make cabinet and attach a swing arm for the LCD tv.
Our coach is a 94 winnebago vectra.
We have completed the following step. removed Tv and plastic bezel.
Have purchased a 27' Samung.
We do not want to reuse the plastic bezel.
Sure could use some help with attaching a cabinet.
Anyone replace one of these and built a cabinet when there is no frame work on one side
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 95 Luxor and in the pictures I've seen it looks like your setup is virtually identical to what I had. I installed a 26" Sony using an articulating mount and we're very happy with the result. The tv actually sits in front of or should I say on the outside of the existing plastic bezel. You literally have to think "outside the box". It looks good and works well. I'll dig up my pictures of the install and get them to you if you like.

Raceguy
raceguy549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceguy549 View Post
I have a 95 Luxor and in the pictures I've seen it looks like your setup is virtually identical to what I had. I installed a 26" Sony using an articulating mount and we're very happy with the result. The tv actually sits in front of or should I say on the outside of the existing plastic bezel. You literally have to think "outside the box". It looks good and works well. I'll dig up my pictures of the install and get them to you if you like.

Raceguy
Raceguy, how do you secure your tv for traveling?
mikf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Bungees of course! Those things are almost as indispensable as duct tape. :-) I'll go take pictures and post em next time I visit the storage barn. I have two eye hooks in the plywood that the mount is bolted to that I hook on to. Then I loop the cords around the mount arm to keep the tv pulled back for travel. A little foam weatherstripping caused the squeaking from jiggles to cease. All of the mounting, bungees, etc are hidden behind the tv in the original enclosure so the whole thing has a neat and clean appearance. When parked, we can remove the bungees if we want to angle the tv a bit differently. We seldom do.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Adventurer with mid overhead TV. I'm replacing it with a 37" Flat screen and leaving the old plastc bezel in place. I'm just in the process of putting in the braceing and mounting plate for the articulating arm. The TV sits slightly above what was the old plastic bezel and overlaps the two doors slightly on either side, however, with the articulating arm, I can move the TV side to side to easily access cabinets on either side. Ya 37" is big but I like a big TV. We watch a 52" at home. What I found was that when you watch a widescreen movie and they have that black band across the top and bottom, the picture seems too small. I'm changing out the bedroom TV as well to a 26" for this reason. I got tired of watching TV with a set of binoculars!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceguy549 View Post

Raceguy
Raceguy
Please send the pictures of your TV install. We are still our heads , As we have spent many days going over all the tv install posts but found none like what we have with the tv over dash directly over the passenger side of the coach. We do not have a cabinet on the sidewall of the coach.
we hope yours is like our set up.
thank you very much.
sniggles
Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey.

I want to replace both TVs. Do you need to do any rewiring or is the wiring for the analog TVs compatible with HD
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Jim....We have an '03 Journey DL and TV replacement was "plug and play". Vizio in the front and $249 Wally World special in the back. You just need to do some trim work on the cabinetry (fill in, no cutting). Go for it....
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sniggles:
Will do. I'll go take some pictures and get em posted soon along with some description.
Raceguy
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I'd like to post some of my photos of our 2000 Winnebago TV replacement but can't figure out how to get them on the page here. I've done the front TV while leaving the plastic Bezel and bottom plastic frame in. I put a 37" flat screen in there. I'm just doing the 26" one for the bedroom now.

I don't have a "URL" as far as I know.

Till I figure this out, If anybody want's to see photos they can email me or send me a private message.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to take so long but here it is.
First the before and after shots:
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-13-10 127.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	8942

Name:	luxor tv install 032311 001.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	8943
Old 03-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Ok, had to see if I understood posting pictures.
First remove the old tv and hang on to the original plastic frame to put back a bit later. You can see the mounting bolts that hold the tv up in place are backed off in the picture. You will want to tighten everything back up as everything but the old tv is re-used. The existing framework is nice and sturdy which will prove helpful. The passenger side sun visor also must be temporarily removed to get the old tv out. Attachment 8948

I used 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood sandwiched (glued and screwed) together cut to fit. The plywood is attached to the existing old tv mount with 6 angle brackets that came from Lowe's. I cut 4 round openings to allow reaching in behind for routing cables etc. There are 2 eye fasteners that I added later to hook bungees on for added stability on the road. I loop the bungees around the mount which keeps things in place on the road but still allows repositioning when camped or for access when desired. The mount has tension adjustment but I found that bouncing down the road the tv would creep away for the enclosure. I also installed a strip of foam weatherstrip to the front of the old frame to quiet things down over the bumps. It works like a champ. The mount articulates, tilts and swivels thick allows for lots of adjustment when camped. The mount is a Premier Mount AM2-B and I'm very satisfied with it. Attention must be paid to clearance for the adjacent cabinet door but that was almost no problem at all. The old plastic picture frame is reinstalled before hanging the tv which give a more finished look.
All my original thinking was about how to mount a tv inside the old enclosure or how to build a new enclosure and I couldn't figure a satisfactory way to do this. I finally borrowed a friends TV and physically held it in front of the old tv when the lightbulb in my head finally went off. This install is simple, strong, quite satisfactory and looks almost like it was always that way since new.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Raceguy

Name:	luxor tv install 032311 010.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	8949

Name:	luxor tv install 032311 014.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	8950

Name:	luxor tv install 032311 016.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	8951

Name:	luxor tv install 032311 017.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	8952
Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Nice job Raceguy!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have finished the install of the tv's in our 94 Winnebago Vectra coach.

I need to post some pictures. Thank you raceguy549 , dogpatch and all who have helped with my prodject.

So this is what we did,
after removing the old tv. big heavy monster of a thing. Yeah and a whopping 19 inch screen. joke hey.
We removed the plastic bezel completely as our new 27" samung would not fit in front with out stick over passengers head.
We saved the steel support framework and attached a 2x4 frame inside stopping 6 inches from bottom so we could cut holes for the wiring. We bolted the 2x4 frame to the steel framework. . Removed the bottom metal of the support frame and attached 3/4 stock there so it looked more finished. This is where we reattached the sunvisor, when we finished.
To Make the Face for the cabinet. we cut 3/4 birch cabinet grade plywood to cover the opening between the cabinet and the sidewall of coach. Cutting the top to match the arch of the roof line (ceiling). We then Attached this board with srews to the 2x4 frame. Cut the holes for the plug wires and attached the tv bracket to plywood. The bracket is a slider type that also tilts. Hung the tv. We then just connect the antenna and power. Easy plug and play on the TV. The Cabinet, Just needs some stain and it is good to go.
Thanks again..
Sniggles

Great tv. Less than 15 pounds.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

There are more ways to mount a television than have been thought of in your philosophy Horatio. to somewhat mngel a famous quote.

My suggestion is to find a good cabinet maker.. Where I'm parked just now (Thousand Trails (membership park) Carolina landing, there is one on the corner, (Seriously, they bought the land and buliding from the park) But there are dozens of others scattered about the country. They can find a way to mount it for you...

Eyes on I can come up with a few ideas too.. but alas, that's eyes on. Again many others are if nothing even better at it than I am.

Just remember (Different topic) if you smell propane, look at the stove, IF the knobs re set to OFF OFF LOW OFF.. YOu might have a clue as to the problem.
(I checked out a gas leak in a neighbor's rig a couple of days ago, that's what I found)
Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I don't trust bungees with my wife sitting below. I use a 1" nylon strap, doubled up right across the face of the TV when travelling. Remove it when I get to my destination.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggles View Post
We have finished the install of the tv's in our 94 Winnebago Vectra coach.

I need to post some pictures. Thank you raceguy549 , dogpatch and all who have helped with my prodject.

So this is what we did,
after removing the old tv. big heavy monster of a thing. Yeah and a whopping 19 inch screen. joke hey.
We removed the plastic bezel completely as our new 27" samung would not fit in front with out stick over passengers head.
We saved the steel support framework and attached a 2x4 frame inside stopping 6 inches from bottom so we could cut holes for the wiring. We bolted the 2x4 frame to the steel framework. . Removed the bottom metal of the support frame and attached 3/4 stock there so it looked more finished. This is where we reattached the sunvisor, when we finished.
To Make the Face for the cabinet. we cut 3/4 birch cabinet grade plywood to cover the opening between the cabinet and the sidewall of coach. Cutting the top to match the arch of the roof line (ceiling). We then Attached this board with srews to the 2x4 frame. Cut the holes for the plug wires and attached the tv bracket to plywood. The bracket is a slider type that also tilts. Hung the tv. We then just connect the antenna and power. Easy plug and play on the TV. The Cabinet, Just needs some stain and it is good to go.
Thanks again..
Sniggles

Great tv. Less than 15 pounds.
Here are the pictures of the tv's that we installed.
tv infront room 27" Samsung LCD HDMI
Tv in rear cabinet bedroom is 19 " Samsung LCD HDMI

sniggles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frontroom with old tv.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	9368   Click image for larger version

Name:	steel frame after old tv removed.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	9369  

Name:	back side of tv  showing 2x4 framework.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	9370   Click image for larger version

Name:	new tv installed.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	9371  

Name:	rear cabinet bedroom.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	9372   Click image for larger version

Name:	new tv - travel mode installed in rear cabinet.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	9373  

Name:	new tv  viewing from bed.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	9374  
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I don't trust bungees with my wife sitting below. I use a 1" nylon strap, doubled up right across the face of the TV when travelling. Remove it when I get to my destination.
Sounds like a plan. My question is how did you attach 1" nylon strap to cabinet and what do you mean by double up? Also wouldn't the strap damage the front or screen on a LCD. Do you have any pictures of the set up.
I still would like to secure the front tv and rear tv when traveling.

Any help/Photo

Thanks sniggles
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are more ways to mount a television than have been thought of in your philosophy Horatio. to somewhat mngel a famous quote.

My suggestion is to find a good cabinet maker.. Where I'm parked just now (Thousand Trails (membership park) Carolina landing, there is one on the corner, (Seriously, they bought the land and buliding from the park) But there are dozens of others scattered about the country. They can find a way to mount it for you...

Eyes on I can come up with a few ideas too.. but alas, that's eyes on. Again many others are if nothing even better at it than I am.

Just remember (Different topic) if you smell propane, look at the stove, IF the knobs re set to OFF OFF LOW OFF.. YOu might have a clue as to the problem.
(I checked out a gas leak in a neighbor's rig a couple of days ago, that's what I found)
We talked to a cabinet maker first and he wanted to remove all the supporting frame work. Yes the cabinet may look more professional but with out any support for the cabinet or the TV. WELL..... I sure didn't want the whole pretty looking thing to come crashing down on my head as we traveled down the roads of America.

Thanks for rhe suggestion though.
sniggles
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My question is how did you attach 1" nylon strap to cabinet and what do you mean by double up? Also wouldn't the strap damage the front or screen on a LCD. Do you have any pictures of the set up.
The LCD screen is inset a bit from the frame so the strap doesn't touch it. Here is a pic. Strap and snap from ACE Hardware, the black mini handle screwed to the cabinet frame was from the HD cabinet hardware section.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7605.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	9415  
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote