Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Memorex STS2891-R DVD/Surround Sound

Hi all,

Just got my 2008 Journey and am going through the paces to see what works, what doesn't and what needs to be upgraded. I've only taken it out on one trip so far, but it drives and rides like a champ.

The Journey has the Memorex STS2891-R DVD player with surround sound. I see all the speaker wires going to the back of the device, and I get sound when I put a CD or DVD in, but no picture on the TV. I suspect a bad or loose cable, but have not had a chance to check it out. Also the Jensen radio on the front dash with Sirius goes through the surround sound system.

Two questions though - first how does the DVD/Surround sound work with the Quest Video Select System? It didn't seem to make any difference what the Quest was selected to play a CD. The manual seems vague about it.

Second - since the Memorex is DVD, I am thinking about upgrading it to Blu Ray - or at least hooking up a Blu Ray to the TV. But I would like it to work with the Surround Sound system. The TV works with the antenna, but I forgot to check if the sound was through the TV or the surround sound. Has anyone upgraded the STS2891? If so, what did you select and why.

Also, if anyone has any troubleshooting hints other than basic cable stuff I would appreciate it. Unfortunately I can't park the RV at the house for any extended time, so I have to either do my troubleshooting at the storage facility or while camping. Either way, any help to get me pointed in the right direction would be great!

BTW, the last owner upgraded the TV, so it's not the original RCA but a newer HD TV. The dealer I bought it from also volunteered to do some troubleshooting when my replacement bedroom window comes in, but I would like to get it figured out for my next trip.

Off to read more of the manuals during the ball game...

Thanks in advance,

Jengle
jengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

jengle, here is a link to the wiring diagrams these should help.
Wiring Diagrams
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Try the switch on the dash that says TV-RADIO mine has Speakers above it
Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Try turning DVD on and then cycle through the inputs on the TV.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a 09 journey 34y and I could not believe with 3 LCD hdmi hi def flat screen in the rv they had used only composite cables throughout the coach. I removed my original dvr/ home theater and installed a blue ray. Now you have to find a unit that is surround without needing an additional home theater to connect to the original speakers. I found a nice all in one box at best buy. And then followed a link on here to reconnect using a 4x4 matrix and two hdmi wireless systems. So no long run connecting bedroom or outside to blue ray or Satelite. Works fantastic so much better surround sound from original speakers. And I take the blue ray or Satelite remote outside or to the bedroom to controll the units in the main salon.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

jengle

I have an 09 meridian with the set up you have (I think). It's possible I can help you. Could you call me when you are at the RV? Are you sure that the original TV was not a Sharp as is in mine? I know that on mine the TV has to be set to the component (not composite) input in order to go thru the master switch (which switches the red/green/blue video and sound to the three inputs. You can call at 719-487-7392

nick dienes
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give some of these a try. I did try the TV/Radio switch and that got the Audio working, but not the video. I did cycle through all the inputs and got nada. I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Jengle
jengle is offline   Reply With Quote