Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just received the new DeLorme Street Atlas 2007 USA and would like to get the overlays for campgrounds, WalMarts, etc. I remember reading that another "Owners" club created a download that would install in the 2006 version. It would then show many more campgrounds, both private and public, than what comes standard with the DeLorme Program. Has anyone had any luck finding this information for the 2007 issue of DeLorme's?

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just received the new DeLorme Street Atlas 2007 USA and would like to get the overlays for campgrounds, WalMarts, etc. I remember reading that another "Owners" club created a download that would install in the 2006 version. It would then show many more campgrounds, both private and public, than what comes standard with the DeLorme Program. Has anyone had any luck finding this information for the 2007 issue of DeLorme's?

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would think that the overlays would work for the 2007 version. Try going to www.discoveryowners.com/cginfo.htm to download the campgrounds, etc.
Motorhome05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Delorme strikes again! you will have to buy the 'plus' edition to have import capability as I understand it. This is from their site:
"Data
Included
Street Atlas USA 2007 DVD contains the DeLorme produced and managed United States and now also Canadian street-level network. The included 4 million U.S. places of interest are updated annually based on phone book information and DeLorme's own research into exit services. Canadian POIs are also included, many with phone numbers.
Available for purchase separately
Street Atlas USA 2007 DVD does not allow customer or purchased supplementary data to be added. You might want to consider these higher-end products that allow differing degrees of interoperability. These include:
» Street Atlas USA 2007 Plus DVD, which includes an XData tab for importing common text file formats whose locations can then be displayed on the DeLorme maps.
» The XMap GIS software family, which allows our highest degree of interoperability, works with text file formats as well as industry-leading GIS file formats, including shapefiles and dxf files."

How I wish they had kept the simplicity of SA-9.
we_rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I downloaded the file from discoveryowners.com but it didn't work on the new 2007 edition of DeLorme. It does work on the 2006 edition so I'm not a happy camper with the new edition. I guess this will be the last edition of DeLorme for me.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have both 2005 and 2007 on my system and use the same draw files on both with no apparent problem. The only thing is I have the version on CD because they had it on sale at CC.

& Phooey
Jim & Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I just purchased SA 2007 also. We have a new 4 lane road (HY 10) in our area. After 3 years they have not added it yet. I don't think I will purchase again. They are not up to date

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hey Guys,

Delorme has, or at least had, a 'no risk' policy.

We were not happy with our first update of Street Atlas. We returned it. We were told that they kept track of things like that. (as any good business should)

Consider letting Delorme know you expect better from them.

Not buying the next update is a good way...returning the one you already bought is a better way.

(Letting us know of your experience on IRV2 impacts them also. We were considering updating this year. Decision has been made!)
Old 09-13-2006, 06:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

When I do my due diligence for route and campground planning, I routinely compare these products against each other for consensus:

-CoPilot Live 9
-DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2006 Plus
-Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006
-Trailer Life Campground Navigator 2006
-occasionally I use maps.google.com

CoPilot Live: This is my preferred product for active navigation due to it being extremely easy to use and I love the nav presentation. I can tell it to calculate routes with factoring in propane (tunnels) and height (>12'6") restrictions. Its primary weakness is the POI database - it is incomplete and sometimes just plain wrong. I always verify a POI and calculated route before I use it for navigation. It doesn't have many streets in Alaska or Canada in the database.

DeLorme: Not being a regular user of DeLorme, I find the user interface horribly complex, un-intuitive and difficult to use. The POI database is marginally better than CoPilot, not that's not saying much. This is my least favorite product - the only reason I have it is because it was given to me.

MS Streets/Trips: Really great user interface, amazing amount of detail and accuracy of detail (I used it yesterday for navigation here in British Columbia and it was spot-on), by far the most complete and accurate POI database by a huge margin over the other products. A MAJOR limitation of the product is that it will not do real-time routing, i.e., if you make a wrong turn it simply says "off route", it will not provide ETA either. This is the primary reason why I practically never use it for active navigation.

Trailer Life: Really great for campground planning but I have not used it for active navigation. The interface seems to be fairly crude.

Maps.google: Usually pretty accurate when I am cross-checking campground locations but it would have placed me several miles away in our present campground. First serious error I have seen with this.

It's a darn shame that CoPilot and S&T can't be melded somehow!

Just my experiences...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Saw something on TV a while back, I forget where though. It said there are only two compamies that provide the mapping data to all the navigation software/hardware companies out there. If that's the case, if a road is wrong in DeLorme, there's about a 50:50 chance it's wrong in another program.

Of course, the various packages out there may use one of those two companies as base data, adding their own database on top, but I think the basic road data would be untouched.

Good Google search for later, the two companies must have websites...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote