Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have the 750 nav plus which was a built in unit when I bought the coach. I would like to up grade the mapping software but was told that the unit is no longer made so software is not available. Has anyone come up with a way to do this. Talking with other Winne owners, I am not the only one with this problem.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Bigdog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the 750 nav plus which was a built in unit when I bought the coach. I would like to up grade the mapping software but was told that the unit is no longer made so software is not available. Has anyone come up with a way to do this. Talking with other Winne owners, I am not the only one with this problem.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a 760 Roadmate and just tried to upgrade the mapping software. The CD was about $80.00 from Megellan and it locked up my GPS tighter than a drum. It is in a box on it;s way to Megellan to see why it would not take the load.

Call Megellan and see if they have an update service.

Ken
Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Another thing to remember about Magellan--they have no support for Mac computers so you are outta luck for upgrades unless you have a late model Mac that can run windows.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had one lock up while downloading and it was kaput. Long story short, trying to talk to the "Tech Support" people at Magellen is an exercise in futility. They are worthless. I think the best thing to do is just throw it away and get a new one from another company
Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I've had my Nav 750 since 2000. I liked the idea of docking stations in the different vehicles and just transfer it over as needed. I originally bought it for a 2000 Excursion I used for towing a TT.

About a year ago just before I went to Alaska I took it to the dealer that installed it for updating. He sent it to Magellan and for about $100.00 or so they updated it. It works great.

The model Nav 750 I have is like the ones they use on the rent a cars. It has a portable hard drive brain and a portable handset screen; they are transferable from car to car.

Your best bet is to call them directly or find a dealer. Good luck.

Just for the heck of it I did a search on the Nav 750 and found one on E-bay starting bid at $9.99. Nav 750

Maybe your better off buying a new one.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have called magellan several times and could only talk to someone in a land far far away. They were of no help. I have also writen to them. no responce from them. Thier customer stinks.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I talked to someone in the states and no problem. They got my unit back and called to tell me it was not repairable and they would be sending me a me upgraded Roadmate 800 for no charge. The old unit was over 2 years old.

Can't complain about the service
ken
Old 08-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have two of the 760 Roadmates. I also had the "lockup" problem described above and I thought that I had ruined the unit. I have quite a "bulldog" attitude when it comes to computers so, I started the updating softward again and walked away for a few hours -- believe it or not, when I came back, the update had happened. It seems that when the unit is updating, it appears that it has frozen and stopped but, that is not the case -- it is just doing something internal and does not give any external signal that something is happening. Walk away and give it time to "do its thing" without "watching the pot" to see if the water boils.

JMHO
Old 08-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The GPS that I was asking about is the 750 nav plus which is a built in unit that I can't get software for. It is hooked in with the back up screen. Is there anyone that has figured how to update the software of this unit?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I inquired to Magellan about this about 18 months ago and the answer was "there is no software update". I recently replaced my 750 NAV built-in with a Garmin GVN53, which also drives the Sony color display in my dashboard. I'm not a big Garmin fan, but at least they update their software and maps from time to time.
Magellan left me high and dry with a very expensive but obsolete piece of gear after it was barely a year old. They won't be seeing any of my money again.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I want to thank you all for your replys. I will check on the Garmin GVN53