Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well, we did it!! WOW!!
When the big 32" TUBE TV fell out of the cabinet while on vacation, we decided to upgrade to a 32" LCD Sharp flat panel TV, and at the same time, add alot more room to the living room. (Removed entire entertainment center) It was nice, but sure took up alot of space. These are Pic's of the before and after, and there are additional Pic's in the Photo's section. It really came out nice, and as you can see, in our case, it added alot more room.
Also added an extension to the overhead cabinet over the dinette to relocate the distribution box, switches, boost switch and all the other stuff. The frame around the new TV is the upper part of the original Ent. center, just cut and modified to work.
Also did the same for the bedroom TV, pictures upon request.

Enjoy.

David

2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well, we did it!! WOW!!
When the big 32" TUBE TV fell out of the cabinet while on vacation, we decided to upgrade to a 32" LCD Sharp flat panel TV, and at the same time, add alot more room to the living room. (Removed entire entertainment center) It was nice, but sure took up alot of space. These are Pic's of the before and after, and there are additional Pic's in the Photo's section. It really came out nice, and as you can see, in our case, it added alot more room.
Also added an extension to the overhead cabinet over the dinette to relocate the distribution box, switches, boost switch and all the other stuff. The frame around the new TV is the upper part of the original Ent. center, just cut and modified to work.
Also did the same for the bedroom TV, pictures upon request.

Enjoy.

David

2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #3

All I can say is WOW! Good ridance to that big cabinet.

Was the cabinet connected to the ceiling somehow? Where did you run the cables?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Nice job. Real professional and opens up your space.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the rest of the comments. Nice job! Looks like it makes for a more functional area. Did you do all the work yourself?

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ya all, it was a very satisfying project.

The cabinet was attached to the wall only, (8 screws) due to the ceiling being curved. There are steel plates in the wall that anchors the Ent. Center. The Ent. center sat on a base NOT attached to floor, the carpet under the center still had plastic on it and, once vacuumed, totally matched the rest of the carpet. The Ent. center had to be completely taken apart to get out the door. Actually the frame for the TV was made from the upper part of the center that had the glass doors. The upper cabinet addition door (with glass) was a bottom door of the center for storage.

The cabinet on the end with the glass was added due to 2 reasons; one, that is where the cables and wires came out of the ceiling, (all had to be shorten by 4 feet) and two, this space is used for the electronics with remotes, since remotes don't work very good thru wood.

All cables from TV are run thru a hole in the upper right TV frame and cabinet side to electronics. Also, a false back was installed to hide all the wires, cables, etc.

I did all the work myself except for the TV frame and cabinet extension. Those were done by a friend who is a finished carpenter. Note, TV frame and additional cabinet wood was used from the old entertainment center. One thing I found, amoung others, LOL, is the video hookups are very different between the CRT and LCD TVs.
Also, installed a new DVD player, half the size of the old DVD/VHS player.

As noted, I did the TV in the bedroom to, 19" CRT to a 20" Toshiba LCD. That was easy, only took one evening to complete. Took a week to find the right TV. LOL

If your planning on doing a job like this let me know, I may have some tips.

David
Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Let me add my own WOW!!! to the comments. Removal of that cabinet sure opened up your floor space and gave you a much improved TV to boot.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I would like to see the additional photos as I have almost the same TV cabinetry.

I'd like to get a 42"er in there.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tom, looks like you have various options; Put LCD in cabinet, remove cabinet only and attach LCD to wall, or remove cabinet and overhead cabinet and put LCD on wall.

These are the things you need to find out BEFORE you tackle this project.
1. Is there carpet under the cabinet?
2. Is the upper cabinet attached to ceiling?
3. Where do all the component wires and cables come from going to your entertainment center?
4. What does the walls interior structure consist of.
5. Most importantly, can you do this yourself or do you have to pay to get it done.

Having the answers to these questions will determine if you want to actually try this modification.

Send me an e-mail and I will forward all the details and pictures in a slide show.

David