Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Lost the TV Tub over the Dash

2 Years ago I pulled out the 80 lb brick of a Sony TV over the Dash in my Journey. Mounted a Samsung 32" flat screen LCD TV in its place, essentially mounting the new TV on top of the existing molding and plastic tub which held the old Brick Sony TV.

This winter I decided to lose the tub over the dash which covered up the underpinnings of the old tube TV. Winnie uses a steel cage to hold all the weight of the tube TV's. We cut the steel out flush with the overhead ceiling under the TV cabinets. Re-mounted the LCD TV between the 2 existing cabinets, which fit perfectly (luck), and lost the old wooden TV surround, not to mention the plastic molded TV tub.

The ceiling under the overhead cabinets is flat and flush, allowing for a future installation of a 1-piece MCD day/night roller shade. We cut a new header panel for under the cabinets out of luan, and covered it with new matching vinyl, just like the OEM.

The end result looks outstanding. I had a lot of help, as I have really good techs in my shop.

First picture is the old Sony TV.
Second pic is the new 32" LCD flat screen installed 2 years ago over the existing wooden surround.
Third pic is showing the tub with the LCD TV.
Fourth pic is the steel cut out.
Fifth picture is face-on with the LCD TV installed, now higher on the ceiling, and providing a better view out the windshield.
Sixth pic is from the under-side, showing the tub gone and the new flush header panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon Camera Backup 08-11 164.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	34843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canon Camera Backup 08-11 175.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	34844  

Name:	SAM_0116.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	34845   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0121.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	34846  

Name:	SAM_0214.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	34847   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0207.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	34848  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Don, that's the cleanest headliner I've ever seen! We've both bumped our heads on the old TV surround a few times already coming up those steps...

Very nice looking job!
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Great job Don. Looks really clean and nice. The one piece MCD shade will be an easy install.

Now you got me pondering......
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That's how I did mine. Took out a 77 pound TV and 40 pounds of steel. Put in a 32" LCD, some thin plywood and vinyl from a fabric store, done. Adding some power visors while I was at it too.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Looks really nice Don. Nice clean install Jim
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Don;

I am impressed. What a great job. It looks like it came from the factory that way. Now I have it in my mind I want to get out to your shop and get mine done. My goal will be 2014.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Great work, nice and clean
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Don,
OUTSTANDING!! Without a doubt, severely better than the original setup. And, while the original setup looked good, it was, heavy and it protruded into a "Safety Zone" while entering and exiting the coach. Now, incredibly safer and aesthetically superior. D@mn it, now I've got ANOTHER project I have to put into the drawing board. But, that one will be phenomenally worth the effort. I love it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Another advantage of this project is added visibility out the front windshield, both from within the coach, and from the driver's seat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Now if there was actually something worth watching .... But the mod looks awesome !!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Awesome job Don! Several years ago I installed a 32 inch LCD in my overhead wood frame but left the dumb old plastic tub. What the heck was I thinking? Oh well maybe some day I'll feel the need to start another project. Just wondering, how well do your TV speakers work? I didn't care for the sound that the TV speakers put out so I ran some remote speakers closer to the seating area. Now I don't have to crank it up high enough for the neighbors to hear.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Sammie, with the new install, the TV speakers are actually less obstructed, and I expect the sound to be better than it was.

My next project (next year) is to replace my current OEM surround sound DVD player with a new model with a digital optical connection between the TV and the new surround sound. I installed the digital optical cable to the TV and ran it to the right side upper compartment where the current DVD system resides. This way, when I install the new DVD Blue Ray surround sound home theater system, I just plug in the digital optical cable, and it should work.

But that's next winter's project.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Don Great looking job. Very clean and neat
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Replaced the TV and new sound system a couple of years ago. I made everything fit the old box. I am glad you did this, now I will tackle this next winter. TV are changing so fast that I will be able to get the latest, what ever is out then. Within a couple of days it will be out dated.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Don,

Did you install an off-the-shelf (home) flat screen or did you buy an AC/DC model? I need to replace my two sets and I'm not sure if I should spend four times the money on AC/DC LED sets.
Yorktown BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown BB View Post
Don,

Did you install an off-the-shelf (home) flat screen or did you buy an AC/DC model? I need to replace my two sets and I'm not sure if I should spend four times the money on AC/DC LED sets.
Save your hard earned $$'s and put in a home TV - no 12V. I put in a Samsung purchased at Walmart. Works great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Save your hard earned $$'s and put in a home TV - no 12V. I put in a Samsung purchased at Walmart. Works great.
And then pick up a cheap inverter on Amazon to run the TV from the batteries. In my first RV I had an inverter that plugged into a 12v socket next to the TV. In my current rig I bought an inverter that puts out more watts that's connected directly to the house batteries.

Just make sure the inverter puts out enough continuous (not peak) watts to run your TV and DVD player.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Did you save the 2 wires from the old Sony with the RCA plugs on them so your surround sound will still work?
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Did you save the 2 wires from the old Sony with the RCA plugs on them so your surround sound will still work?
Winnebago installed this for me at the factory at Forest City. They used a Visio TV because it has a variable controlled analog audio output and the existing wires for the sound system plug right into the TV. It works just like the old Sony did.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

River Park Electronics was the original supplier to Winnebago for the 'warts' which they soldered onto the TV speakers inside the TV with the noise suppressor. Kits are still available for those who upgrade to a flat panel TV. They still attach to the speaker leads of the new TV to retrofit to your old surround sound system.

I am leaning towards an upgrade to a new surround sound system which uses digital optical connections between the TV and a new DVD/Home Theater surround sound system. I haven't done this upgrade on my coach yet, but have done several on customer coaches, and it works well. New technology for new installs.

Options are available for either path you choose.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
dash