Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking to add Satellite dome

We have stayed many places that either don't have cable, or the rate seems pricey. I like more than just the local channels recieved with the antenna, so thinking sattelite will be our answer. Our Adventure has a spot on the roof for the dome, then as I understand it I would need a reciever and a monthly subscription.
I am looking at the stationary dome camping world has for sale. I am hoping for some help finding the best fit, and suggestions Dish, direct Tv ??

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
We have stayed many places that either don't have cable, or the rate seems pricey. I like more than just the local channels recieved with the antenna, so thinking sattelite will be our answer. Our Adventure has a spot on the roof for the dome, then as I understand it I would need a reciever and a monthly subscription.
I am looking at the stationary dome camping world has for sale. I am hoping for some help finding the best fit, and suggestions Dish, direct Tv ??
Both services are good. I have DirecTv and prefer it. It appears that you may be new to satellite TV and if you are, remember that if you camp in the trees, you will be unable to get a signal (probably) with a fixed antenna. A portable antenna will give you a better chance to receiving a signal. Also, if you want HD, it's a whole other game and much more expensive, whether you go fixed (big bucks) or portable (big bucks - lite). I have a fixed HD antenna system and a portable SD antenna I can use in a pinch. Since I prefer to watch HD, I had to pay the piper to enjoy it.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

There is not a dome antenna that will give you HD with direct TV. None of the King Dome's will. They will give you HD with the Dish Network. There is one King Dome antenna that will give direct TV HD but it requires some additional box or converter.

The Winegard Traveler will give you HD for both systems, as will portable antenna's with two or 3 horns(LNB). A Dual LNB only means an LNB with two outputs, not two LNB's. The traveler has 3 LNB's.

The Winegard Carryout antenna will give you all Dish Satellites and you can get HD. That is my primary antenna for satellite. It will not give you HD for DirectTV.

Happy trials (er trails)!

Edited: If you want to watch different channels on different TV's you will need an antenna with multiple LNB's.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with Wayne's assessment - Domes are limited in current capability and usually cannot be modified to take advantage of changing technology. In addition, the smaller dome antenna means poorer performance during rain, and even a heavy dew can cause problems. Ideally, the best set up is an automatic open dish like the Traveler along with a portable dish in case you're in the trees.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So the traveler is installed on the roof ? When we snowbird during the winter, storage is at a premium. That's why I was thinking of installing on the roof. HD is not that important, it is nice we have it with cable service at home . My main objective is to have channel selection when cable is not available . As you can tell we are new to satellite reception .

Equinox Toad
Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Another vote for the Winegard Travler. We have DISH at home so we went with DISH for the RV. We started with a crank up dish, then a dome, and now the Travler. The Travler is easy to use and always finds the satellites except when under the trees.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have an in-motion Trac-King dome antenna from King Controls and our provider is Direct TV. As far as convenience goes, roof mounted antennas are hard to beat, but trees can interfere with reception. If you want HD reception, the Trav'ler from Winegard is probably the antenna I would buy. If you are not interested in an HD capable antenna, Winegard's RoadTrip MiniMax (stationary or in-motion) antennas are more economical (relatively speaking because none are really inexpensive), and people who own them give them really high reviews.

We are full-timers, so I travel with a portable dish and tripod that I carry for the times that the roof antenna is obstructed or if there is a problem with the roof antenna. Acquiring the single Direct TV satellite at 101° with a portable dish is usually very easy, much easier than tuning in the 2 satellites at 119° and 110° if you have the Dish Network.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This is what the Winegard Trav'ler looks like:

It is roof mounted. There is a single push button to tell it to aim itself, or put itself away for travel. It is very simple to use. The Trav'ler is like a dish one would use at home, so it can feed multiple receivers or the dual tuner receivers that Dish has.

We got the Dish version last year and couldn't be happier. When you get to the campground, just level the RV and push the button for the Trav'ler...done! We use a Dish 722 receiver that feeds HD to the primary TV and SD to the secondary TV. It comes with two remotes. My wife can watch her shows on one and I can watch my sports on the other.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Things to consider
Domes. Can see one satallite at a time, no more. Thus a dome works well with Dish Network, HD or not, and a SINGLE receiver, but not with a DVR or multiple receivers as the programming is scattered over 2 or 3 different satallites and if you want one and spouse wants another...No joy there.

They also work well with DirecTV but will not work with DirecHDTV (different band used for HD.. But they work well for standard which is nearly all on satallite 101W)

Second, Domes can be "Single"or"Dual" type LNB's (NOTE this has to do with the number of outputs. Duals are needed if you have more than one receiver or if you have a dual input DVR)

Some Domes are capable of working while you drive, (Use with DVR)

NOTE: You need to pick your service (DirecTV or Dish, SD or HD BEFORE you choose your dome as.. Some of them cost more,some of them do more

(Cost factors: Dual cost more than single, Dish costs more than Direct, and DishHD still more)

Now, if you only want to use TV when parked........

Consider a roof top automatic DISH instead: Again you choose a dish to match the service you subscribe to.. but save for that statement you forget ALL the above... A DISH, depending on the dish, will work 100% with the service it's designed for (Dish or DirecTV, HD or not, you get the right dish, you have no problems)

Whatever you get, get the proper GROUND mount dish and some kind of tripod as well... This is very important.. IN the LNB line to the receiver put a low cost (if you pay more than 10 bucks each it's too expensive) A/B switch.. I like the slide switches.. "High Isolation" not needed, about 2-3 bucks each at the GOOGLE store.

The 3 connecitons: A: goes to the antenna on the roof up ABOVE

B,goes to a connector either in the Basement or a Bulkhead (Through wall) Mine goes to a ground Block under the "hood" on the Brake master cylinder Bracket.

(Notice how those are all "B" words) Use RG-6 cable to connect it.

That way when you park in the shade of the signal blocking buiding or under the evil signal eating tree........

You hook up the ground dish, slide the switch(es) to "B", reset the receiver (Direc) or check switch (Dish, after pointing) and.... You are good to show.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all your help, and information.

Equinox Toad
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

DirectTV HD cannot be received from a DOME antenna. If you have HD on DirectTV satellite 101 you will most likely be getting the audio in a foreign language. The King DOME web site states that there is no DirecTV HD using their antennas.

Stick with the traveler or portable with two or more LNB's.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
We have a Winegard Roadtrip Dome Antenna and have little complaints about it. We also have DISH service with HD at the house and use the same receiver both at home and on the road. The only difference is that we have to re-run the "Check Switch" option on the receiver each time we move the receiver between the Wingard and the home DISH antenna. I believe the Roadtrip has a single LNB that re-positions (aims) itself when we go from satellite 110 to 119 to 129(HD) and there is always a couple of seconds delay during channel change. Not a big deal. We upgraded our "front" TV to a 32" LCD and enjoy the HD option when watching the travel and history channels. Oh, yes, there is the usual problem with rain, ice, and trees, but that gives us a break from watching the boob-tube.
Camping World installed it and they had to also install a 12 volt power supply to run the antenna. The power supply has to be turned on and off when the receiver is turned on or off, or the antenna will continuously run (searching for satellites). I think CW could have done a better job, but, it works.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote