Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Looking for advice about radio headphones

I have a problem when I drive with my wife. (imagine that) The problem is: I like to listen to the satellite radio, sports, news, etc. My wife likes to take a nap, read a book, play on her ipad. When the radio is on, she has a hard time concentrating because it plays all over the coach.
Is there a radio made, or some other way of attaching headphones to the radio, so that she won't have to hear what I'm hearing?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Personally, I would not drive with ear phones or ear buds. I want to be able to hear traffic noises such as horns or emergency vehicles.

As an alternate solution, look for some of the noise cancelling ear phones for the wife.

Safety first.

Ken
Old 12-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ditto on not wearing headphones or ear buds. Washington state has a law against such practice (RCW 46.37.480). Other states may have similar laws. Personally, I want to hear what's going on around me, particularly outside the coach.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Any car stereo installer should be able to easily modify your current installation to add a switch to go from all coach sound to just speakers near the driver.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Why don't you buy the DW a set of ear plugs?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Personally, I would not drive with ear phones or ear buds. I want to be able to hear traffic noises such as horns or emergency vehicles.

As an alternate solution, look for some of the noise cancelling ear phones for the wife.

Safety first.

Ken

Purchased the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (now superseded by a newer model) noise canceling headphones for DW. She can listed to the music loaded on her iPad while reading a book on her iPad. She is not bothered by the stuff that I listen to on Sirus. Everybody wins !

I wouldn't use ear buds or headphones while driving. To many noises that I would be missing. Some of them really important.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I appreciate the replies but I have two questions: 1. What if my wife does not want to listen to anything and does not like wearing earphones?
2. What if I were a deaf person? I'm still allowed to drive, aren't I?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Looking for advice about radio headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I appreciate the replies but I have two questions: 1. What if my wife does not want to listen to anything and does not like wearing earphones?
2. What if I were a deaf person? I'm still allowed to drive, aren't I?

To satisfy the requirement that you (driver) be able to hear outside sounds, just wear one of the ear buds....leave the other ear unconnected. Your wife shouldn't be able to hear a thing unless you play your music REALLY loud.

There are even some hearing aids now that will connect to a Bluetooth sound source...this way you don't even have wires.....and no LEO in the country can fault you for wearing a hearing aid !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have a speaker placed near the driver, with ability to disable all others.

I think you will find the wearing of headphones while driving varies by state for those with normal hearing. With many requiring just one earphone.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you decide to drive with headphones, just don't turn the volume up so loud that you can't hear what is happening around you. I ride a motorcycle with built in headphones in my helmet and I can still hear what is happening around me. If the volume is too loud in your ear, then it will disturb your wife because she too will be able to hear what you are listening to.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

To answer your question as written: YES

However.. I have had a police officer yell at me for wearing headphones when driving.. (And I've yelled at a police officer (Well State Trooper and I did not yell but spoke normally) for the same thing.

For some reason the cops think the headphones will prevent you from hearing their sirens.. The ones I was wearing at the time would not.. the ones I have now... WILL. big time. (Active noise canceling) but that's another thread.

My solution (which made the cop happy) was to install speakers so that they directed the sound toward the driver, and not the passenger. Actually worked better than I expected on that vehicle.. May or may not work for you.

That said. I was not listening to music via the headsets.. One side was on the Ham bands and the other on CB.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

You know guys, I really appreciate everyone worrying about my well being and whether or not I get a ticket while driving, but my question is: Do they make a radio that you can plug earphones into and who makes it...?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
You know guys, I really appreciate everyone worrying about my well being and whether or not I get a ticket while driving, but my question is: Do they make a radio that you can plug earphones into and who makes it...?

Actually, I think they were MORE worried that you might not hear a horn or someone trying to warn you of a problem and then you running into THEM!

However, to address your dilemma google "installing headphone jack in car stereo". It will give you several video's explaining how to add one to your existing stereo if you are handy.

On finding an existing car stereo with a headphone jack (not an input jack such as would be used by an IPOD or Iphone or whatever, I wasn't able to find one in a casual search on the internet. That leads me to believe that there may some Federal law, or guidelines that restrict that.

Best bet, go to a local Car Stereo Specialty shop, or to a Best Buy and ask their techs . . .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Here you go... It has headphone jack.
SiriusXM Lynx™ Portable Radio with Vehicle Kit (Reconditioned) - Shop - SiriusXM Radio
Old 12-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdebarmore View Post
Thank youWdebarmore. That looks like it will work.
Steve

Tags
advice, radio