Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Have a small leak at front cap marker light, just above the driver's windshield fan. Water runs down w/s on inside. I unscrewed the marker light to remove it, but am hesitant to pull too hard to disconnect the wire. Is this a pull-type connection? Not enuf wire to get hold of it w/fingers (only about 1/2 inch of wire play).

My intent was to R&R the seal behind the light, since it is worn & crumbly. Next best action is to apply a sealant, but then it's a bear to rmv if required.

Where to buy new seals?

Your thoughts/recommendations (before it rains again) pls. Many thx.

BTW, all screws on all marker lights were quite loose.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have a small leak at front cap marker light, just above the driver's windshield fan. Water runs down w/s on inside. I unscrewed the marker light to remove it, but am hesitant to pull too hard to disconnect the wire. Is this a pull-type connection? Not enuf wire to get hold of it w/fingers (only about 1/2 inch of wire play).

My intent was to R&R the seal behind the light, since it is worn & crumbly. Next best action is to apply a sealant, but then it's a bear to rmv if required.

Where to buy new seals?

Your thoughts/recommendations (before it rains again) pls. Many thx.

BTW, all screws on all marker lights were quite loose.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Just had the overhead TV out of our 2003 Journey and noticed the front marker lights have some sort of thin insulation around the interior housing and all around the inside of the front cap. The wires are also imbedded in this 'insulation'. If yours is the same, I wouldn't try to pull to hard on the wires.

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The marker lights on our 01 Adventurer have a pigtail about a foot long that goes through the roof cap. The pigtail has a pair of connectors to the wiring harness. The hole through the cap is sealed by white RTV applied from the inside.

I would assume yours is similar (ours is on a Ford chassis). The only caution is that there's not a lot of extra slack wire between the light pigtail and the securely fastened harness. If you pull too hard you might just disconnect the wires.

I know it's a pain, but you can get to the backside of the lights by removing the front television. I had to remove our TV a couple times. Once to find a rattle that turned out to be ta loose compass sending unit, and a second time to add a DVD player and wire in a satellite box.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thx for the replies. I'm just going to rmv the marker light screws and apply some RTV-like sealant to the existing black seal, & hope it works. We're expecting rain tonite/tomorrow, so should get an ops check.

I'm not into removing the TV. With my expertise, I'd likely re-install it upside down :-/

Thudman

Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Silicon caulk made a horrible bedding compound when we had our various boats. Various through the deck fittings would be leak free for a year and I suppose the caulk would then shrink and then leaks happen . We then switched to Life Caulk which is a polysulfide caulk and never had another leak. Alternatively, you could make a gasket from silicon caulk by making a ring of the caulk, let it set up for an hour or so and then tighten the marker light into the silicon.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had a similar leak recently. Removed the suspect light and found no gasket behind any of them. There was some caulk.

Called the company that makes the lights (Bargman) but they only sell the gaskets by the case. So, I went to a local rubber supply house, bought a 2' x 2' sheet of scrap 1/8" thick rubber for $5, and made some nice gaskets for all the lights.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

smlranger:
Thx for the input. How did you get the marker lights out of the cap? I have very little slack wire, and am afraid of pulling too hard on the light assy. Cannot get my fingers behind the light to undo whatever kind of connection is there.

John:
Thx for the link on Life Caulk. Do you think ProFlexRV, by Geocel, is an equivalent??

Thudman

Old 10-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

For now I MAY have fixed my marker lite leak. I put some RTV-like sealant in the marker lite screw wells, let it set up a bit, then installed screws. Did not mess w/the seal (yet) behind the lite lens.

Worked ok during heavy rain this morning. Am still interested in persuing a better fix.

But I also have a MASSIVE leak at the driver's side eyebrow window. Resealed outside many, many times, but leak gets worse. Now it's not dripping in, but RUNNING in.

Next effort is to rmv screws along entire window frame on inside & take a look. Any thoughts/help on what I'm looking for?? I'm at a loss to explain the source of water ingress, other than a bad integral window seal.

Any help much appreciated (as usual).

Thudman

Old 10-22-2006, 06:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Thudman:

I just removed the two screws and there was enough slack to remove the bulb/socket assembly from the light base (half turn and it comes out), put the gasket behind and re-attach. I also considered using Pro Flex or 3M Marine sealant, but I thought the gaskets would look and work better. I thought it interesting that Bargman provides a gasket for those lights but Winnebago elected not to use them. From what I could tell, there was really no attempt by Winnebago to seal around the lights...not from the outside, at least.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From what I could tell, there was really no attempt by Winnebago to seal around the lights...not from the outside, at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. There were no seals/rubber washers where the screws go into and meet the marker light lens. Not good. Easy source of water ingress.

I'll look for a source of rubber to make the lens/cap seal. Thx for the info.

Thudman

Old 10-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But I also have a MASSIVE leak at the driver's side eyebrow window. Resealed outside many, many times, but leak gets worse. Now it's not dripping in, but RUNNING in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I think I found the cause of the window leak. The roof seal....badly separated for about 4 to 5 feet, in the area above the left eyebrow window. The Eternabond I received about three months ago is still in the box. Amazing how a little incentive can get one off dead center!! The Eternabond goes on tomorrow.

BTW, I did rmv the inner eyebrow window frame, so I'll let that area dry out overnite. There's evidence of water ingress along the foam roof insulation, above the window. Still cannot figure how to reseal that window. Guess it has to be removed, but don't know how. Hopefully, it's irrelevant. Didn't want to go that far anyway.

Thudman