Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
If you pull the cover on any of the 'dome' type dishes you'll find the actual antenna/dish to be extremely small.. overall surface smaller than a dinner plate. It doesn't take much of an obstruction to cause signal loss. I'm with smlranger, unless you need in-motion satellite, Trav'ler wins, hands down - even through moderate tree and cloud obstructions.

Meanwhile, a dealer can plug into your dish and ensure it's calibrated properly.
We were looking at a new Dutch Star over the last week. No satellite dish installed. The salesman said he'd just get one of the portable units and forget the rooftop one. Kind of makes sense. No holes to drill, no installation, cheaper and you can move it around to miss the trees etc.
Our old Winegard, installed OEM in 2002 still works fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

MR__D,
Well Sir, I don't blame you for not wanting to install a dome or any other satellite mechanism up there on your new coach. While most of them have a fair reputation for working correctly, as you can see, there still are some issues with some of them. It's a preference thing. I too like the little Stand-a-lone tri-pod dish. You can move it all over the place and the one I had in service for a short while, worked flawless. I got mine brand new off ebay for $75.00 which included 50' of new cable, a compass, nice tri-pod, the dish and, a nice signal meter.

But, if and when the ones (no matter which ones) are working correctly, it's sure nice to push a button and it does all the work for you. Like I stated earlier, our King Dome is a automatic/manual unit so, until it quits completely, I'll use it for the time being.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Replacing the dome with the Winegard Travler is one of the best upgrades I made. If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy!

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

we had a Kingdome on our first motorhome, will never have another one, had to play around with it for hours to set up
listen to the radio, much easier,
good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
One of my happiest days with our previous coach was the day I pushed the Kingdome off the roof and installed the Winegard Trav'ler.

The coach we just got has a TracVision dome and while it works as advertised, it does not provide HD with Direct and last evening in a steady rain we lost all signal. So, the first project when we get back home with this coach is to jettison the TracVision and install a Trav'ler.
They should call it the "Cubs" dome, as nobody ever won there. We had a King dome on our first Winnebago and it was awful. Had it taken off and replaced with the Traveler. Best move since corn cobs.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We were looking at a new Dutch Star over the last week. No satellite dish installed. The salesman said he'd just get one of the portable units and forget the rooftop one. Kind of makes sense. No holes to drill, no installation, cheaper and you can move it around to miss the trees etc.
Our old Winegard, installed OEM in 2002 still works fine.
We just bought the same model with a King Dome on it. Have not checked it out just yet to see if it will work with my DISH network HD DVR but I suspect it will not. Sounds like the Wineguard Trav'ler maybe the way to go if this unit does not function as needed.
cptngym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

cptngym...I did check with KingDome on working with a HD receiver. Unit will work with HD. Only 1 LNB and it will switch/move between the different sat 110/119/129 when you change channels to different shows using different sats.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

I give up. If it doesn't work when I get back to home base, it's going to the dump!!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

Another thing to check: Open up the king dome receiver box (near the receiver, where the power cord, control cable, and the signal cables to the roof and to your sat receiver plug in) - Mine worked great for about 6 years before a connection inside the box vibrated loose - tightened it up and everything has worked great for another 4 years.

(The coax connectors on the cover of the box are female-female connectors with male connectors from the circuit board screwed into the inside ports - one of the inside connectors vibrated until it fell off - screwed it back in and perfect functionality again)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

2lb

You may want to consider a 2 pounder so as not to destroy your roof! Although it's a pita i use a portable antenae and an electronic finder to avoid just what you have described. Good luck
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

Mine was making a lot if noise and took a while to lock, turns out the gasket that seals the lid was too thin, so when the lid was tightened down, the lid was pushing on the top of the dish. This also caused the belt to wear a couple dead spots. I found the belts from one company for only $6 per, I ordered a couple extra belts at that price. Then added extra foam seal to the lid to raise 1/2 inch. Now lock up works very fast and does not make as much noise.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote