Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just got my new 24" HDTV with built in DVD player. Need Install Opinions

OK so our new 24" LCD with built in DVD arrived today and the celiing mount TV bracket arrived yesterday so now the fun begins!

I'm installing it under a cabinet on the passenger side (it's never had a TV). I need to reimforce the cabinet - I don't anticipate a problem . The challenge is this. There is NO 110 outlet near where I'm mounting the TV. There is a 12v light in the same cabinet but I am almost certain it cannot be used to run 110 but I do see several options.

I can drill through the floor straight into the storage compartment, run the wires to the drivers side (storage compartment goes all the way through)and then either go to the control panel and wire it into it or go up behind the couch to an outlet labeled as TV.

The other option is to run the wire along the ceiling on the passenger side (inside the MH), drill into the upper corner of a cabinet and wire it to an existing outlet in the cabinet.

Pages 1 and 2 of the attached wiring diagram show both locations.

I will use small conduit with all options to hide and protect the wires.

Which options sounds like the best one and/or is there an even better option I haven't thought of (other than go without a TV or install it someplace else)?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Wiring Diagram.pdf (1.44 MB, 101 views)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a cigarette lighter close by? If so you would able to use a small, 350 amp inverter to power the TV. Just a thought.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Do you have a cigarette lighter close by? If so you would able to use a small, 350 amp inverter to power the TV. Just a thought.
You probably meant to say "350 watt inverter" not "350 amp inverter"..... just picking nits, good idea
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
You probably meant to say "350 watt inverter" not "350 amp inverter"..... just picking nits, good idea
I knew something did not sound right. Yep, I meant 350 watts. Thank you for the correction.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don't you also need to think about how to get an antenna/cable to the TV as well or are you just interested in watching DVDs?

I really like OneRVer's suggestion of the inverter. This will also give your passengers the ability to watch TV (DVD) as you are going down the road!
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response. I started the install yesterday and have the cabinet modification almost completed.

Here's a new question. There is a 12v light nearby with the wiring going right through the cabinet so it's very easy access. Can I splice into the wiring and add a cigarette lighter port or is it more complicated than that?

Obviously I'm more comfortable sawing, drilling and hammering than I am with electrical! But I'm sure I can figure it out without too much of a problem. So as to not kill myself, I will disconnect all power sources before touching the wiring part.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
Here's a new question. There is a 12v light nearby with the wiring going right through the cabinet so it's very easy access. Can I splice into the wiring and add a cigarette lighter port or is it more complicated than that?
Probably not, because the wiring for the light is probably not large enough to handle the amount of current that is needed to drive the inverter and TV.

To determine this:
a. What is the 120 vac current requirement for the TV? This will be expressed as watts or amps on the back of the TV.

b. What size wire is going to the light and what sized fuse or breaker protects the light?

Soapbox item: Why do they put cigarette lighters on a 350 watt inverter? Most cigarette circuits support a maximum of 10 amps, this translates to 120 watts (10 amps x 12 vdc = 120 watts). To provide 350 watts the inverter will draw another 230 watts or another 19.2 amps. This just won't work. How do they expect to get 29.2 amps from a circuit that can only supply 10??? End of Soapbox.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Soapbox item: Why do they put cigarette lighters on a 350 watt inverter? Most cigarette circuits support a maximum of 10 amps, this translates to 120 watts (10 amps x 12 vdc = 120 watts). To provide 350 watts the inverter will draw another 230 watts or another 19.2 amps. This just won't work. How do they expect to get 29.2 amps from a circuit that can only supply 10??? End of Soapbox.
I don't know your answer but I run my flatscreen TV and a Directv box on my 350 inverter while plug in to my cigarette lighter with no problems. I also run a DVD player at the same time so the kids can watch a movie on the tv in the bedroom. The max amperage on the flatscreen is 3 amps and that is at power up.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I found a few 400W Inverters online for $25+. I'm considering one with the wires with alligator clips that connect directly to the battery.

I'm wondering if I can direct wire to the battery with some thick gauge wire and an in-line fuse plus a toggle on/off switch. One of the inverters has an on line manual that says "Do not attempt to extend or otherwise modify the supplied 12-volt power cord, battery cables or battery clips."

(http://www.aimscorp.net/documents/PWRINV400W.pdf - top of page 3)

But if the wire is thick enough and I have an in-line fuse and toggle switch, Shouldn't I be OK?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yes, if the wire is large enough and you use a fuse (close to the battery) you will be fine. Make sure you prurchase a pure sine wave inverter. Some TV's and DVD players won't work on the really cheap inverters.
BUT...before you spend a lot of time and money adding the wires, try the light that you were talking about. Even though it is a 400W inverter, it is only going to draw as much power as it needs to run the TV. Worse thing that will happen is that you will pop the breaker for that light if the circuit can't deliver the wattage needed.
jdefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
I found a few 400W Inverters online for $25+. I'm considering one with the wires with alligator clips that connect directly to the battery.

I'm wondering if I can direct wire to the battery with some thick gauge wire and an in-line fuse plus a toggle on/off switch. One of the inverters has an on line manual that says "Do not attempt to extend or otherwise modify the supplied 12-volt power cord, battery cables or battery clips."

(http://www.aimscorp.net/documents/PWRINV400W.pdf - top of page 3)

But if the wire is thick enough and I have an in-line fuse and toggle switch, Shouldn't I be OK?
The cigarette lighter is pre wired with a 12 gauge wire and 15 amp fuse. 12 gauge wire is rated for 20 amps. That is why I used this method. This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anywher...684395&sr=8-28

The price has really dropped from the time I bought.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I don't know your answer but I run my flatscreen TV and a Directv box on my 350 inverter while plug in to my cigarette lighter with no problems. I also run a DVD player at the same time so the kids can watch a movie on the tv in the bedroom. The max amperage on the flatscreen is 3 amps and that is at power up.
That is because you stay under the maximum capability of your cigarette lighter. The problem is that there is no way to use all of the capability of the inverter.

There is an assumption when people buy an inverter that they can use its full capabilities. That it would be able to power 350 watts of 120 vac appliances. What they may find, is that the fuse blows or the inverter shuts down because the input voltage drops so far to be below 10.5 vdc. This happens a few times and they become frustrated with the whole mess.

Bottom line, in my opinion, no inverter should be equipped with a cigarette lighter unless it is less than 150 watts. This would prevent customer dis-satisfaction.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The cigarette lighter is pre wired with a 12 gauge wire and 15 amp fuse. 12 gauge wire is rated for 20 amps. That is why I used this method. This is the one I use.

Amazon.com: Belkin AC Anywhere - DC to AC power inverter - 12 V - 300 Watt - 2 output connector(s) - Canada, United States Manufacturer Part Number F5C400-300W: Camera & Photo

The price has really dropped from the time I bought.
He doesn't have a cigarette lighter and is considering slaving off of a light circuit.

Not all cigarette lighters are wired as well as yours is. At least half of the cigarette lighters I have been involved with use 16 gauge wire, it works for a cigarette lighter because it doesn't care if there is a 15% voltage drop. Doesn't work so well for inverters.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

sounds like he want to tie in to a circuit that may have many lights tied in
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
sounds like he want to tie in to a circuit that may have many lights tied in
Yes, that is my plan. If I pop a breaker, I will hard wire it to the battery.

Thanks to everyone for your posts. I will let you know in the next few days the results and outcomes.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

From the look of your fuse panel it looks like you have room to add a 12v circuit. Then you could run appropriate wire and use the proper fuse and have an install that looks like it is stock. Just a thought.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
From the look of your fuse panel it looks like you have room to add a 12v circuit. Then you could run appropriate wire and use the proper fuse and have an install that looks like it is stock. Just a thought.
Hmmm - I hadn't even though about that! I will look at the panel tonight to make sure there's room.

As a side note, I completed the TV install last night and ended up removing the 12V light because it was in the way of the TV bracket. After I cut the wire I measured it and it's 12 gauge - heavier than I thought it would be. I am waiting for my 400w Inverter to arrive and will hook it up to the light wire to see if I works or if I pop a fuse. If the fuse blows, I will hard wire it to a new circuit in the fuse panel.

THANKS for the great idea!

Tags
install