Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Got the exteror radio set to a station that plays Christmas Music - good thing since it starts up whenever it wants to! Hope my neighbors were able to forgive the trespasses. I finally pulled out the right speaker and was able to access the plug - right now I just pulled it apart - I plan to get a switch - will install it in the panel between the 12V plug and the 110 box. Question: I know this is not normal and have seen posts about the problem - is there any real problem with the radio other than the gremlin part? Of course I am out of warranty(only a 12 month on the radio anyway) and we don't use it that often - anyone else tried my potential fix or some other fix?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Got the exteror radio set to a station that plays Christmas Music - good thing since it starts up whenever it wants to! Hope my neighbors were able to forgive the trespasses. I finally pulled out the right speaker and was able to access the plug - right now I just pulled it apart - I plan to get a switch - will install it in the panel between the 12V plug and the 110 box. Question: I know this is not normal and have seen posts about the problem - is there any real problem with the radio other than the gremlin part? Of course I am out of warranty(only a 12 month on the radio anyway) and we don't use it that often - anyone else tried my potential fix or some other fix?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
ymi
Winnebago Camper

the radio is the CD3010X by the way.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had exactly the sameproblem. It was really annoying to have the radio turn on in the middle of the night. As you suggested, a switch solved the problem.
NASAGuy in rainy Florida
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Is this problem isolated to just the Jensen units or is this a general Winnebago issue?
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the same situation, however I had left the remote in the compartment. When I moved the remote to the inside of the coach the situation went away, has not returned for at least 4 months.
I had thought of a switch also. On the 33V I access the rear of the radio from the lower drawer below the refrigerator
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A switch may solve the problem short term but my radio started out by turning itself on whenever it wanted to and escalated to where we could not turn it off or control the volume at all. Luckily it was still in the warranty period (problem # 89) and the dealer actually replaced it and got that one right.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
ymi
Winnebago Camper

Well...I know it isn't my remote - left that in PA and we're in Florida. I accessed the wire loom and connector plug behind the right speaker. I plan to cut the red wire and install a switch - that way the power will still be applied to retain radio presets but the power will be cut to the radio & speakers. The warranty is only 12 months on the radio and since the rig is 3 I guess it has lasted as long as I can expect - that is why a company only puts a limited warranty on an item - right?
If my repair doesn't work I guess I'll just pull the connector apart and forget the radio.
Anyway - Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & CAMP ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

ymi, been there done that. I finally installed a switch as per your thoughts. I was able to access the wiring from a drawer beneath the fridge. Good luck.
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

A few weeks ago I went to check on the Brave and found the batteries at about the half charge level. Still had enough juice to start the generator, so I proceeded to charge them back to full charge. Today I went back and the batteries were almost completely depleted. Not enough juice remaining to start the gen. I remembered reading this thread and went outside to check the radio. Yep, it was on!! Pressed the power switch and it went off. Run the engine long enough to reach fully warm and then shut it down. Went back outside and guess what, the radio was once again on. Seems like a long time ago I remember hearing a strange noise one night and finding it was static from the radio. At the time I just figured my wife or must have left it on by mistake. Waranty or no warranty, this seems like a problem Winnebago should address. Has anyone contacted them directly regarding this obvious design defect?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote