Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Issue for you stereo/radio experts.

Gents,
In our recently purchased '04 Itasca Horizon D/P with the 330 CAT, we've got a semi-strange stereo/radio issue. First off, let me say the radio is a Magnadyne unit. Many of you have the same radio. The radio for the most part, seems to function just fine with the exception of this issue. Here's the deal. The coach is manufactured with a factory "Surround Sound" system. The system consists of three small speakers embedded in the cabinetry above the dash and two small speakers in the rear part of the galley. It's also got two large base units, one right by the drivers left foot and the other, underneath the fridge.

Now here's the issue. As usual, you have adjustments on just about any radio/stereo pertaining to: volume, bass, treble, balance, and fade. Well, on ours, all of those adjustments work with the exception of the "fade". If you set the adjustment to fade, then rotate the dial to move the sound from front to rear, the sound disappears completely as you approach the max for the rear. But, rotate it to bring the music to the front speakers, it works just fine.

But, here's the weird part, if, you rotate it to the "0" position in the fade, that is, where the music is supposed to be dead center between the rear and front, then go back to the fridge area, they're playing just fine. Loud and clear. And that includes the base unit at the bottom of the fridge.

So, it appears, that all the sound, is channeled through the "front" adjustment. I cannot, separate that sound between the front and rear speakers like I can going from "left to right". If I set the adjustment to "Bal", and rotate the knob, I hear the sound go completely from one side to the other and back again. So that part works fine. But, go to "fade" and rotate the knob, and it disappears as you approach the higher numbers in the adjustment range.

Anyone have that problem? Or, does yours work the same. And by the way, it makes no difference if, I'm on ignition "Power" or "Park" power on that rocker switch. Thanks for any info you can send.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sounds as if all speakers are connected to the front speaker wire leads
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I found that the 'fade' didn't work on my 2005 Vectra either.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Sir:
We recently bought an 05 journey with the same sound system. I found a piece of paper on the radio and surround sound system that specifically states that the fade is not functional.
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The fade did not work on my Adventurer. When I replaced the front TV I found that the Sony TV speakers were hard-wired into a "black box wart" that went into the surround sound system. I called Winnebago tech support (actually I e-mailed them) and in a return phone call the system was explained. Best I can remember there isn't a fade, and hooking up to the surround sound system would require that I open the new TV and hard-wire the system to the speakers. Since the TV speakers work fine for my lousy hearing anyway I left well enough alone. The radio still works on all five speakers, but there still is no control of sound front to back.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The best suggestion is to replace that Magnedyne unit. It is garbage. I installed a newer Sony unit, fabbed a block-off plate to cover up the opening left from replacing a 2 din unit with a 1 din unit. The stock unit is very poorly made and lacks many features that are available even the cheaper AM/FM/CD player units on the market.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced both my stereos in our 2000 Winnebago (cab and outside entertainment units). I put Kenwood models in only because they were on sale and because they are a good brand. Both are digital CD players and are Ipod capable and work from a small remote. In cab, I picked the model with Bluetooth for handsfree cell while driving. I had a shop install the in-dash but I did the outside entertainment one. Plugs on the stereos don't match the Winnie model and I didn't want to wait or spend the extra cost. Either way, you would have to hardwire the new plugin adapter. Both units were under $100 each on sale.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I found the front/rear fader on my dash radio did not work either.

Then I investigated

Right front out===== Amplifier==== Speaker
Left front out ===== Amplifier ==== Speaker
Right rear out
Left rear out

You might notice a lack of cables connecting those outputs to ... anything.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

To all who've answered,
Thank you very much for your time here. So far, the Magnadyne radio unit in our '04 Horizon it working good. We have "XM" as an auxiliary input and use it almost 100 % of the time anyway so, the Magnadyne, used as the receiver, is almost non existent. We simply use it for the music control in terms of bass, treble, balance and fade. Oh yeah, there is no fade.

Well, it seems that this wiring situation with the "no fade" is fairly common. While it does work and, I get good sound at the rear speakers, I was just wondering why I couldn't "fade" it all to the rear ones. Well, you've basically answered my problem. It's all good. The system works and the TV is tied into it.

At this point in time, I really don't see a reason to change it out, at least until it gives me some form of trouble. In any case, thanks again for helping me here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If your surroundsound system is like mine ('01 model) it is "simulated" suround sound, not true 5.1. The unit that does the audio source selection, amplification, and distribution to the various speekers is set up to produce "suround like" qualities, but unfortunately, isn't tunable (fade). It does a pretty decent job, but, that's about it. Our left reaer speeker is located right above the dinette, when your having dinner, it seems really loud compared to the rest, but seated anywhere else in the coach, it's pretty good.
Kev
kevgofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

To simpllify the explanation... Top end automotive radios, and a good motor home needs a top end radio. Tend to be 4-channel RIGHT/LEFT and Front/Rear.

The RV makers put in these radios, but never hook up the rear. They simply don't do that.. Only hook up two speakers and those are poorly placed.

What I plan on doing about it.. (long term)

Is to buy another pair of speakers, put 'em where I think speakers should be for driving and run the "Rear" outs to them.