Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

A GPS is good at doing one thing. Getting you to your destination. How it does that had room for discussion.

We also use "fastest" route. However, many years ago up in New England the fastest route put me on some hair pin turn roads that we should have avoided. We made it, but it was a little stressful.

After arriving I looked at a map and re-plotted the trip. If I ha gone the nice highway route, which was considerably longer, it would have taken 10 minutes longer to get to our destination.

Another thing one can run into is a road that goes for several miles and then comes to a wooded grassy area and the highway is on the other side of that area. A friend went 4 miles, no turn-around, had to jackknife the RV, unhook, drive down through the ditch gladly having 4 wheel drive, hook back up and go the way he came.

I always look at a mapping program and determine if I want to follow GPS or not. Plus DW uses WAZE from the co-pilot seat and she is always happy to tell me where to go.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I would never just trust the GPS. I always verify on a map or even on Google maps. I also look at the overall map for the day(we ony do one day at a time) that the GPS plans to go and verify it is the way I prefer.

People putting their ful trust in the GPS are just asking for trouble.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #17
Veteran RV Owner

GPS is a navigation "tool"! Beware, it was probably programmed by someone who doesn't drive an RV.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here’s how I deal with my Rand McNally GPS in a situation like that. Once I’m on a bypass that the GPS doesn’t want to recognize I cancel my original route on the GPS and then immediately reselect the the route to my destination from my current location. This always adjusts the GPS’s routing to include the alternate route.
I have a Magellan (exact model escapes me) and when I go off route it too redirects me back to where I left. To counter this, The only solution is to turn it off quit the route and re-entering the route. Sometimes for fun, I will route myself home from a well known spot and then see how many miles it says I have to go to reach my destination when I near my home. Sometimes it will say I have 50 or more miles left to go when in fact I only have a couple of miles to go.

My GPS will redirect me around construction zones or accidents with stop and go traffic. As long as I keep to the reroute route, I have had no issues with the GPS, other than this, so somehow it can get live updates while enroute.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

When we go off the route with our Garmin it just recalculates and changes the routing by itself..

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

My Rand McNally "Good Sam" GPS finally wore out and I replaced with the RVND-7 GPS, $ 180.

When in RV mode it takes into account your height and weight that you program into the unit's settings. It defaults to routing based on shortest time, not shortest distance. You can also program if toll roads are allowed or not , and compare best toll free route to best route with tolls.

All that said , it still can choose a direct route vs. an available bypass around a metro if its routing data base thinks the direct route same time or faster time. On the RVND-7 you can force it to use a specific segment by programming a multi-stop trip and putting a intermediate stop (I use an intersection or fuel stop location) somewhere on the segment you want to force it to.

So the answer is yes, they are still "stupid" in that they may not pick the route you would pick yourself if you consulted maps and others who have driven something before.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

After reading all this, I'm glad we have a copy of Street Atlas 2104 that still works on the computer in our Sunstar.

I lay out the trip before we leave on paper maps from AAA, and then before we leave on Street Atlas. Or I lay out the next day's leg the night before, dropping in vias to run the route where I want us to go. The next day, the navigator (the one not driving) monitors the computer on the kitchen TV out of view of the driver, and calls out distances and turns as needed.

Garmin sure screwed up when they bought Delorme and dropped Street Atlas...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

One of the pieces of gadgetry I'm currently looking for the best way to install is an iPad 1. We never got rid of it, kept it charged up, but apple stopped updating its software and most apps left it behind. I cranked it up yesterday and found that Copilot still allows a previous version of their app to download. It's a nifty turn by turn navy that lets you input the dimensions of your vehicle. So now, we get to resurrect some 'old' tech into our new coach! I'll have a 9 inch navi-computer dedicated to the Willenium Falcon! Just need to find the best base to install it with.
bdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I use Strenco self adhesive hook and loop (like Velcro but better) to mount lots of things. I have a loop patch on the back of my phone and hook pieces on the dash of our coarc and my truck and Kawasaki Mule.

More to the point, I mounted an old Nexus 7 tablet with it to the moho dash and then connected it to the Bluetooth OBDII reader. I run the cool dashboard app on it when we travel, I am considering mounting 2 more tablets in the same way.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I use Strenco self adhesive hook and loop (like Velcro but better) to mount lots of things. I have a loop patch on the back of my phone and hook pieces on the dash of our coarc and my truck and Kawasaki Mule.

More to the point, I mounted an old Nexus 7 tablet with it to the moho dash and then connected it to the Bluetooth OBDII reader. I run the cool dashboard app on it when we travel, I am considering mounting 2 more tablets in the same way.
Dang great suggestion. I think I have some of that around here! Gonna look for the right place to put it.
bdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Dang great suggestion. I think I have some of that around here! Gonna look for the right place to put it.

About the only comment I have is to be aware of the hook to loop grip strength when removing whatever you mount with it. The Strenco is so strong, if I'm not careful, it will pull the back off the Nexus 7.

It's also handy for sticking remote controls to a convenient wall or back splash, I use it to stick the Pioneer dash entertainment center and rear view camera remotes to the center of the steering wheel. (Don't do this if your steering wheel has an airbag in it, lest you wind up with a face full of remote control at a bad time.) I stuck the GPS down with it, and mounted a remote amateur radio head. I use it on mikes for hanging up too.

Velcro doesn't have enough stick or grip for me. I was a fan of 3M for years, until they wouldn't stand behind an entire defective 15' roll. And the Strenco is less expensive and stronger.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I discovered the hard way that Velcro has different grades of hook and loop. The most common is of course the regular strength. Next is heavy duty which I used to attach a couple weather station sensors under the overhand on our Class C - neither of which survived the Alaska Highway. Then I found the industrial strength version which has worked well for now. The acid test will be on our next trip down the AK Hwy.

Tags
gps