Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

After reading all this, I'm glad we have a copy of Street Atlas 2104 that still works on the computer in our Sunstar.

I lay out the trip before we leave on paper maps from AAA, and then before we leave on Street Atlas. Or I lay out the next day's leg the night before, dropping in vias to run the route where I want us to go. The next day, the navigator (the one not driving) monitors the computer on the kitchen TV out of view of the driver, and calls out distances and turns as needed.

Garmin sure screwed up when they bought Delorme and dropped Street Atlas...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

One of the pieces of gadgetry I'm currently looking for the best way to install is an iPad 1. We never got rid of it, kept it charged up, but apple stopped updating its software and most apps left it behind. I cranked it up yesterday and found that Copilot still allows a previous version of their app to download. It's a nifty turn by turn navy that lets you input the dimensions of your vehicle. So now, we get to resurrect some 'old' tech into our new coach! I'll have a 9 inch navi-computer dedicated to the Willenium Falcon! Just need to find the best base to install it with.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

I use Strenco self adhesive hook and loop (like Velcro but better) to mount lots of things. I have a loop patch on the back of my phone and hook pieces on the dash of our coarc and my truck and Kawasaki Mule.

More to the point, I mounted an old Nexus 7 tablet with it to the moho dash and then connected it to the Bluetooth OBDII reader. I run the cool dashboard app on it when we travel, I am considering mounting 2 more tablets in the same way.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I use Strenco self adhesive hook and loop (like Velcro but better) to mount lots of things. I have a loop patch on the back of my phone and hook pieces on the dash of our coarc and my truck and Kawasaki Mule.

More to the point, I mounted an old Nexus 7 tablet with it to the moho dash and then connected it to the Bluetooth OBDII reader. I run the cool dashboard app on it when we travel, I am considering mounting 2 more tablets in the same way.
Dang great suggestion. I think I have some of that around here! Gonna look for the right place to put it.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Dang great suggestion. I think I have some of that around here! Gonna look for the right place to put it.

About the only comment I have is to be aware of the hook to loop grip strength when removing whatever you mount with it. The Strenco is so strong, if I'm not careful, it will pull the back off the Nexus 7.

It's also handy for sticking remote controls to a convenient wall or back splash, I use it to stick the Pioneer dash entertainment center and rear view camera remotes to the center of the steering wheel. (Don't do this if your steering wheel has an airbag in it, lest you wind up with a face full of remote control at a bad time.) I stuck the GPS down with it, and mounted a remote amateur radio head. I use it on mikes for hanging up too.

Velcro doesn't have enough stick or grip for me. I was a fan of 3M for years, until they wouldn't stand behind an entire defective 15' roll. And the Strenco is less expensive and stronger.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

I discovered the hard way that Velcro has different grades of hook and loop. The most common is of course the regular strength. Next is heavy duty which I used to attach a couple weather station sensors under the overhand on our Class C - neither of which survived the Alaska Highway. Then I found the industrial strength version which has worked well for now. The acid test will be on our next trip down the AK Hwy.

Tags
gps