Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question IR Blaster

2009 Winnebago Tour. My motorhome came equipped with an IR Blaster, I think it is supposed to take the IR signals from the TV and DVD remote controls and feed them into the components that are located in the overhead compartments. So far, the IR Blaster doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know where the IR control module is located? I have looked in the owners manuals and nothing is mentioned about the IR Blaster. Also, does anyone know how to remove the front TV, I suspect the IR module may be mounted behind the TV.

Bill Barton
ouraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The i.r. sensor should be either under your overhead where the tv is, or back where you have a second tv in the mid-coach area, if that's the type of floorplan you have. I don't think there is a centralized reciever if you have more than one set in the living area. I assume you're pointing the remote at the sensor and nothing is happening-right?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The "Blaster" system consists of 2 or 3 components.

Somewhere there is a box. it will have an LED on it and if you look closely you may spot the sensor,,, This is the control unit and power supply for the system, it will have a power cord, either 12vdc or 120vac depending on who made it.

Now... Off the back of this will be either a pair of thin wires, like speaker wires, or coax cables (2 of those) if it's coax cables then back at video swith central there will be what looks like a standard Coax Splitter,,, only it will only have two coax-fittings and a 1/8 inch phone jack or two (looks like a headpone jack. same jack in fact)

The IR-blasters plug into this module

THe blaster is a very simple device.

you have an IR-LED diode ====wire=== 1/8" phone plug

I'm not sure which way the Diode goes in but I built my own for one piece of hardware I use that needs one.. Thing works too. Every day... Even if I'm not at home (there is a story here but trust me. that is what it is supposed to do)
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have an 09 Tour, also, and have just solved our mystery of the IR blaster in our coach. Not sure it's the same issue as yours, but it might help.

We weren't sure how the IR receiver was supposed to connect to the components. We looked up the entertainment center wiring diagram on the Winnie web site (under "Resources") and identified two IR transmitters that were connected to the IR receiver. We dug around in the cabinet with all of the cables and wires and extracted two IR transmitters from the mess. (They looked just like the diagram!) The transmitters are designed to stick on top of each component near the IR receiver in the component. After placing the transmitters in their rightful spots, our remotes work great with the doors closed.

Congrats on your new coach! Hope you enjoy many happy and trouble free miles.

Hope this is of some help.
Mary
Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My IR tranmitters are properly positioned on the DVD and satellite receiver. It seems like the whole system is dead. Perhaps it was never hooked up to begin with, or the power connector has become disconnected. Looking at the wiring diagrams, it seems the AV1-20 is located behind the front overhead TV. Now I have to figure out how to remove the TV so I can check the connections.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Receiver does need power and the IR-Blasters must be plugged into something. (the receiver)

Of course, On my coach the doors had smoked plastic windows in them, This was great save that I need air in those compartments cause electronics generate heat

For 25 bucks my hardware store made up some window screens.. Look good, fit like a glove and let in both Infra Red light and AIR even with the doors closed.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I got an answer from Winnebago today, they said the IR Blaster module is behind the TV switch panel, so I don't need to remove a TV to get to it. I will report back on what I find behind the panel.

Bill
Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

That's what I love about these forums- you learn things all the time.

Merry Christmas!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote