Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I found one thread on this subject awhile ago but it did not address what I am looking for. Does anyone know how to get the surround sound to come through the TV? I have an 06 Meridian 36G. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I believe 'tis the other way around ...the TV goes through the surround sound system rather than surround sound going through TV. Our coach has a switch on the wall in the right front overhead compartment to switch the TV onto surround sound. You kind of have to know where it is to find it. You may have to do some study of your manuals to determine where it is on your Meridian. ...and if you forget to switch it back to "normal" before you hit the road, you will find the radio puts out no sound at all.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
...and if you forget to switch it back to "normal" before you hit the road, you will find the radio puts out no sound at all.
This is why I moved the switch down onto the dash on my 04 Adventurer. Seems like it was always in the wrong position.It was an easy move..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Don't know if they are the same but on my 2004 Itasca Meridian there is a switch in the same cabinet as the VCR and above it that says TV on one side and Radio on the other . If its set on Radio you don't get surround sound out of the TV. Hope this helps.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The switch on my '05 Meridian 36G is the same as wagonmaster2's location.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Unless they've changed in the last couple of years, the "Radio Power Switch" must be in the AUX position for the surround sound to work with the TV. On my Journey that's the top switch on the right hand bank of switches on the dash.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

After the switch is in TV position then you have to turn on the DVD player which is also the suround sound amplifier and you will need the remote. After it checks for a DVD then hit function button on remote once to AV-IN with TV on turn up volume on DVD unit with remote to near max. Next the TV remote is needed to get into the TV menus under sound options and select different ones till you hear the surround sound speakers. Surround sound volume setting up to 50 and TV sound just so you can hear it from the TV speakers. Ours the sound setting on TV is Sound = Simulated and MTS = Stero. The third function on the Surround sound unit DVD player is a FM radio and the remote controls the stations and volume. Hope this helps.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. I can get the surround sound to work from the DVD disk and from the dash radio. The problem is the TV. The sound volume on the DVD amplifier must be turned all the way up to 50 and you can still barely hear the cound come through the other speakers. This tells me that the cable must be connected from the TV or I wouldn't have any sound through the external speakers but why is it so low? I have set the TV menu to (I forget) something like external speaker per the instruction manual. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

KennethM,
Do you know if I can watch Direct TV through my surround sound system using your directions?
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sammie, I am watching Direct TV at the present using the above instructions. Remember to turn the volume on the surround sound up to 50 and then raise the volume on the tv to raise the surround sound volume to your liking.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

KennethM and all respondents: Thanks to all of you for your help. KennethM-Yours was the right fix for my system and it works great. I just left a 2005 Journey in my campground with the same problem however his sytem is slightly different and looks as though one of the other rememdies might do the trick for him.I will let you know what we find out in another post. Thanks to all.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

After reading all of the posts on this subject this is just another reason not to get a new coach. To make a customer jump through the hoops that KennethM states is ridiculous. This makes setting up a computer simple by comparison.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Update: I just returned from the Tampa RV show and met a service tech from Itasca/Winny. I will not give his name as I am sure many of you on this thread know this person and he really is a great help to all us. When I asked him about how to get surround sound through the TV he said well, I am not sure but I think you do this and that. He then said it is different on some coaches depending on the year and the equipment used on that model. I told him about the various responses that had been posted on this thread and he shook his head and said something like it does not surprise me. I said that is crazy to have to go through all that just for this feature. He took notes and said he will take a good look at this whole mess. Just an FYI.....I sincerely believe these people really try hard and want to do their best to satisfy us. There are some items such as this that has slipped by far to many people over the years.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 Journet 32T and did not purchase surround or DVD. We have a switch to route the sound from either the radio or the TV to the speakers in the lounge, but hardly any sound at all comes out when switched to the TV. The volume pots near the speakers are up all the way.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Here is how I do it on my 2006 Adventurer 38J. Switch the dash speaker switch to TV. Turn on the DVD/VCR and set the Main TV switch to VCR. On the Sony AV System 3 remote turn up the volume to about 30 and then press the Sound Field button on the Sony AV System 3 remote until the VCR display indicates Surround Sound. Adjust the volume to your desire.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Isn't it so nice that the engineers got together and set one simple standard for this feature?

If only we could get the same people together to make all remote controls have the same layouts and button. (I won't hold my breath.)

Have you ever noticed that on a TV remote or telephone the numbers 1 to 9 start at the top left, but on a calculator they start at the bottom left?

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to survive, but maybe it would help.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Navy Flier:
After reading all of the posts on this subject this is just another reason not to get a new coach. To make a customer jump through the hoops that KennethM states is ridiculous. This makes setting up a computer simple by comparison.
I don't believe that it is the coach but the large variety of configurations of TVs and Surround Sound systems on the market. Some have it built into the TV, some have a DVD player built into the AMP, some use Fiber Optics others don't. The remotes are all different as are the menu systems.

My old coach had a Panasonic Convection Microwave which could be used by just about anyone without ever glancing at the manual while my current coach has a Sharp which leaves everyone in a quandry even with the owners manual in hand.

It would be nice if they did a better job of auditioning the appliences etc for useability before putting them in our Rv's. I've seen many that I would have passed over.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, everyone, for your input about the surround sound. I made a couple of changes tot he TV menu setup and it now works okay. I had made one change but turning the TV sound off and setting it to "SRS" was what was needed.

Thanks again!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by KennethM:
After the switch is in TV position then you have to turn on the DVD player which is also the suround sound amplifier and you will need the remote. After it checks for a DVD then hit function button on remote once to AV-IN with TV on turn up volume on DVD unit with remote to near max. Next the TV remote is needed to get into the TV menus under sound options and select different ones till you hear the surround sound speakers. Surround sound volume setting up to 50 and TV sound just so you can hear it from the TV speakers. Ours the sound setting on TV is Sound = Simulated and MTS = Stero. The third function on the Surround sound unit DVD player is a FM radio and the remote controls the stations and volume. Hope this helps.
I hate to resurrect an old thread with the recurring problem of no surrond sound from the TV...BUT, we're another victim. We have a "new" 2007 Itasca Horizon with a Sony Aquos 37" mid-coach TV.

We followed the instructions in the Winnie booklet which duplicates most of what Kenneth posted back in 2007. (We did not see a setting that referenced "MTS".)
-- We have the DVD player set on "TV/VCR" with sound on MAX.
-- On the Sony Aquos TV we have set the AUDIO menu for Surround = "on"
-- On the Sony OPTIONS menu we can toggle between FIXED and VARIABLE sound source. When on "fixed" we get sound through the TV, but when we switch to "variable" (per the instruction book) we loose ALL sound.
-- We DO get surround sound from a DVD movie.
-- We DO get surround sound from dash radio.
-- We DO have the dash switch on TV.
-- We DO have the radio in AUX mode.

We are on the coach's maiden voyage, so this is just one of the few bugs we are working out. Obviously, this is not critical, but has certainly become a challenge.

Any other suggestions? We do have a follow-up appointment with a dealer in a couple of weeks. Would love to not have to pay a tech $125/hr to show us how to use the equipment. Having read the other postings, it may take the tech 24 hours to figure it out.
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

MN GOLFER:
you do not say what brand your components are.
my moho has an rca 27" crt tv in front. in order to get any sound out of the tv speakers, i had to use the tv menu and select enhanced stereo.
then i use the tv-radio switch to the right of the tv in the passenger overhead to select tv: tv speakers only or radio: sound over the 7 speaker system. (the sony radio must be turned on with the radio volume down low) there are a number of sound controls built into the radio. sometimes the front fluor ceiling light messes up the sound. usually, turning the light off fixes it.
i recently installed a new magnavox digital tuner-dvd recorder-vcr in place of the original vcr. it works well for the front tv, but i cannot get the vcr or dvd to play on the rear tv. the rear g.e. tv was analog only. it does not seem to make any difference which source button is pushed for the rear tv system.
i installed a magnavox digital converter box with analog passthrough on the rear g.e. tv today and the tv works ok now in analog and digital. i still cannot get the dvd or vcr signal to the rear tv.
i am confused and frustrated.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote