Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have an Itasca Horizon 40AD. I recently replaced the Sony 27 inch CRT television with a Sony 32 inch LCD television. This project required I widen my cabinet by 5/8 inch on each side and install a mounting platform for the new LCD. In addition to the new television I also gained additional storage space behind the TV and the new TV will extend and swivel allowing viewing from the kitchen.

Components:
Sony 32XBR6 television
Sanus VM400 full motion wall mount
Plywood and 2x4's for the mounting platform
Trim ordered from Winnebago

You can see photos of my installation at the following web site:

Sony LCD Install

Comments:
1. The cabinet was widened 5/8 inch with a router. Half inch aluminum angle bar behind the cabinet trim was used to guide the router.
2. Inside platform needed reinforcement: I used ¾ inch plywood, it could have been 5/8 or possibly ½ inch plywood.
3. Upper floor needed reinforcement: also ¾ inch plywood
4. Mount: two 2x4s assembled in a tee

Lessons learned:
1. Don't router trim piece to bottom, recessed screws on backside hold the trim board in place
2. Best stain for honey cherry on cherry wood: Minwax natural
3. Best stain for honey cherry on plywood: 50/50 Minwax Gunstock and Early American

Weight Savings:
Old Sony CRT television: 99 lbs

New Sony LCD 27 lbs
Sanus wall mount 17 lbs
Wood for mount 15 lbs
Total 59 lbs

Weight Savings 40 lbs

Ironically, the HD picture with the batwing antennae is superb. My DirecTV feed is pathetic since it is less than HD quality. I am not certain if I can install a HD antennae since I only have one RG-6 cable running from the roof to the television cabinet. Possibly some of you can advise how I can improve the DirecTV reception.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have an Itasca Horizon 40AD. I recently replaced the Sony 27 inch CRT television with a Sony 32 inch LCD television. This project required I widen my cabinet by 5/8 inch on each side and install a mounting platform for the new LCD. In addition to the new television I also gained additional storage space behind the TV and the new TV will extend and swivel allowing viewing from the kitchen.

Components:
Sony 32XBR6 television
Sanus VM400 full motion wall mount
Plywood and 2x4's for the mounting platform
Trim ordered from Winnebago

You can see photos of my installation at the following web site:

Sony LCD Install

Comments:
1. The cabinet was widened 5/8 inch with a router. Half inch aluminum angle bar behind the cabinet trim was used to guide the router.
2. Inside platform needed reinforcement: I used ¾ inch plywood, it could have been 5/8 or possibly ½ inch plywood.
3. Upper floor needed reinforcement: also ¾ inch plywood
4. Mount: two 2x4s assembled in a tee

Lessons learned:
1. Don't router trim piece to bottom, recessed screws on backside hold the trim board in place
2. Best stain for honey cherry on cherry wood: Minwax natural
3. Best stain for honey cherry on plywood: 50/50 Minwax Gunstock and Early American

Weight Savings:
Old Sony CRT television: 99 lbs

New Sony LCD 27 lbs
Sanus wall mount 17 lbs
Wood for mount 15 lbs
Total 59 lbs

Weight Savings 40 lbs

Ironically, the HD picture with the batwing antennae is superb. My DirecTV feed is pathetic since it is less than HD quality. I am not certain if I can install a HD antennae since I only have one RG-6 cable running from the roof to the television cabinet. Possibly some of you can advise how I can improve the DirecTV reception.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the GREAT pictures. The install is very impressive!

I have a couple of questions.

1. Once you install the bottom trim, how will you "grasp" the tv to pull it out and swivel it?

2. How did you secure the 2x4's to the top and bottom plywood?

3. How secure is the swivel mount. Will the TV bounce a bit?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Very nice job. It looks as if it came from the factory that way.

I am still working on mine. I got delayed somewhat. It is also a bit more complicated on the KD model with the TV mounted overhead. The priciple is the same. I have to increase the wooden opening by 5/8" as well, but I also have to cut the metal casing back by 1.5", which I have just done.

Again nice job. By the way, how are you keeping the Sony LCD TV from swinging out while traveling?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

FrontRangeRVer,

Good Questions:

1. Once the bottom trim is installed, you simply push the right side of the TV in. You can then grasp the left side to pull it out.

2. The 2x4's were attached with screws at an angle on the sides.

3. The mount is very secure. The Sanus extension mount is locked to its attachment base with two screws. Yes, the extension arms allow a very little bit of wobble due to the nature of the design. I have tightened all the connecting bolts so the extension and swivel is somewhat stiff. It will probably ride well as it is. However, I will probably add something around the edge when traveling to limit vibration. Keep in mind that the Sanus VM-400 mount is designed for up to 100 lbs weight. It is very stout and handles the Sony LCD weight very easily.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for posting the photos.

Not certain if I'll do the LCD HD swap out. My 27" Sony has a superb picture but certainly not HD quality. We always use satellite so not worried about the off air digital changeover.

My Suncruiser 38R has the same 27" Sony TV and basically the same TV wood cabinet. Although, mine isn't in a slide. If I ever replace my Sony I'll mount the LCD permanently without the Sanus bracket. I'll access the rear of the TV and new storage area behind the LCD by placing doors on the right and left side of the TV cabinet.

My TV is at a different angle than the 40AD and is visible from the kitchen area.

I'm also thinking of removing the whole TV cabinet and cutting 8" or 10" from the back of the TV cabinet so the cabinet will not intrude into the living area quite so much. Note, the bottom TV cabinet is not attached to the top component cabinet as it is in the 40AD.

My thoughts have been to use a 42" LCD but from your install I may have to use a 32"er.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Fantastic looking job,you are a real craftsman. I also have the 40 AD and now I know what I need to do. Thank you for all of the detailed info. The trim that you said is missing on the bottom, is that something Winnebago has to make or is it stock. If it is stock do you mind sharing that info? Also how do you get the old TV out?
Thank you in advance
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bob,

The trim piece (actually two pieces) I am referring to is the exact same piece that Winnebago has installed above the TV. It will fit perfectly below the TV, so I ordered another through Lichtsinn in Forest City. Expensive but I felt worth it considering I didn't have to make the piece out of cherry wood and it will come pre-finished.

The old TV came out quite easily. There is a 6 inch square hole in the top of the bottom cabinets (below the TV). You can reach your hand into the hole to disconnect the wiring. There is also a security cable to disconnect.

Also on the top of the same cabinets are two smaller holes toward the front with bolts and black metal brackets to be removed.

Lastly, look behind the doors of this cabinet and you will find a large bolt head. This bolt attaches the strap that runs around the TV. Take out the two bolts. Now, before you attempt to move the TV, look around the top edge of the TV to see that strap. It is attached to the TV top with double stick tape. Take a knife or thin screwdriver to pry it away from the TV. Now, you can pull the TV out of the cabinet. Be sure to disconnect the AC cord in plugged into the top cabinet.

That sounds like a lot but after you take a look at your TV you will see each of the attachments.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

These projects are great and give lots of satisfaction. Well done! I wish that the manufacturers of flat panel TVs could come up with a connection module that is remote from the TV itself so that you could make all the antenna, audio, and video wire connections to the module and only have a single wire connect the module to the TV. Having to run four or more leads to the back of the set is sometimes a real hassle.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Rex you rascal! You beat me to it! You did a super job

We have the Honey Cherry finish as well. When we are in Forest City, I'll look for some finished cherry in the surplus store. I can always buy some in the rough and run it through my planer.

I need to buy that TV before it goes out of production so I can take advantage of your effort.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

John,

Thanks for the compliment. The Sony LCD is new. It was introduced in May 2008 and is full 1080p. I purchased the Sony and the Sanus mount at Best Buy. I negotiated Internet prices and saved 15% off retail.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am in the process of the TV swapout now and I have the same mount as you but a 32" Visio TV.
I would like to know where the 2X4's are set in the cabinet ie., how far in from the back and where left to right also? They seem to be offset to the front of the coach.
Thanks for any help you can give me. Very nice job BTW.
The Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

LK23, you did a great job. I did the samething in our coach. The entertainment center looks the same but ours came with a 33"CRT.

Well, we removed the entire entertainment center and mounted the 37" LCD on the wall where the entertainment center was. Now below the TV is a stand alone electric fireplace. Had a finish carpenter use pieces from the old entertainment center to frame the TV and add an extension to the cabinets over the dinette. Everything that was in the top of the ent. ctr. is now replaced there (1/4" of the space taken).

Removing the entertainment center sure added alot more rome in the coach, especially now when someone wants to sit in the passenger seat when turned around.

If you would like pictures PM me and I'll e-mail you some.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quince,

Yes the 2x4 mount is offset to the left. This was done to accommodate the Sanus swing-out bracket. Likewise the mount is set back to accommodate the bracket. The 2x4 mount is set back 7 5/8 inches from the front trim and approximately three inches left of center. Fortunately for me, I had a trim carpenter do the measurements based on the mount. As I recall, we mounted the bracket on the back of the TV and then measured the offsets.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho LK23: good job! I noticed that you were concerned about the antenna for HD. Actually any TV antenna is normally adequate in a high-signal area. In fact the problems associated with analog TV (ghosts) are not normally a problem with HD. When we put HD in here at home I thought I would give a bad antenna a try, so I just plugged in a piece of wire. We get all local HD channels with no problem.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

LK 23, Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner, but besides the TV replacement I am getting ready for a seven month summer trip three of which will be in Alaska. Just took my rig to the dealer yesterday to fix what I thought was a conpartment door alignment - it turned out to be the L/R-Kitchen slide needs adjustment, so it's still at the dealers being fixed.
I did manage to complete the TV swap. The only change I made was I had to put the center of the front 2X4 left 4" vs. 3". Believe that was the fault of it being a different TV (not the Sony). Mine looks almost as good as yours but we love it anyway and I'm not a very good carpenter. I also used a jigsaw and not a router - had to do some sanding but it really looks good. I also ordered the piece for the bottom from Forrest City, but will pick it up in PA as we leave Sunday for our trip. Thanks again for all your help. And if I can do this project anyone can do it.
Quince
Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

WOW! Nice job and thanks for the great photos.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quince,

Post some photos when you get the chance.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Luke23
I want to send a few photos of my install but not sure how I do that. I have uploaded them to my computer seven in all. I know how to send you an email with them if I can have your address. Or can you tell me how to post them here?
I forgot to mark where the support 1"x2"s were so have a few extra holes in the bottom plywood, but overall it came out well.
BTW how does the extra piece of cabinet on the bottom come off (it was for the old TV where it came out some on the bottom). I will need to get it off when the piece (like the top)I ordered for Forrest City comes in.
I'm new at posting photos so hope you can tell me how. My email is below if you need it.
Quince

[email protected]
Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Lk23,
Thanks for the email. Here goes my attempt to attach photos.

The bottom piece I was talking about but did not explain right is - The old TV had a piece of trim that stuck out on the bottom and there was a little piece of 1x that they had on the botom of the cabinet face to support it (or to protect someone from banging into the old TV). Looks like it was attached to the cabinet face when th cabinet was assembled, possibly with nails or glue as there are no screws thru the back inside of the cabinet. On your pix I can see where you took it off by the filled nail/screw holes that I see.
Here's my photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Flat Panel 002.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	242   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Flat Panel 003.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	243  

Click image for larger version