Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HDMI 4X4 Matrix

Well... It looks like my matrix system took a dump. At first a, "pull the plug and wait a minute" reset worked. Then I could not watch more than one TV at a time and now, the switch lights on the front only flash blue for all 4 zones.

I read previous posts about heat issues, power supply issues, etc.

I hope someone out there can provide me with contact information and a name that I can call. I have an appointment with Winnie in Forest City September 12, 2016; however, I am on a roadtrip for 4 more months and I do not want to go without DirecTV that long.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rick
Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

While waiting for a matrix solution have you plugged the DirecTV recieiver directly in to a TV to continue to use DirecTV?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post
Well... It looks like my matrix system took a dump. At first a, "pull the plug and wait a minute" reset worked. Then I could not watch more than one TV at a time and now, the switch lights on the front only flash blue for all 4 zones.

I hope someone out there can provide me with contact information and a name that I can call. I have an appointment with Winnie in Forest City September 12, 2016; however, I am on a roadtrip for 4 more months and I do not want to go without DirecTV that long.

Rick
Call Pace International in MN....they were very helpful
800 444-PACE
Let us know how you make out.
Good Luck!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mine took a dump also. I was unwilling to wait for Winnebago warranty. One trip in to see that it was broken and another trip to get it replaced. The Winnebago dealers here in Austin TX quoted me 6 weeks for an appointment. So I called Pace and for $200.00 they sold me a new unit. It would have cost me much more in time a fuel. The new unit is working perfectly. I tried to get Pace to replace it under warranty but they can't without Winnebagos authorizing it. I called Winnebago and they would not without going to a dealer.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine has went bad two times. Both times it was the power supply. The last one I ordered was $10 plus shipping. Works fine again.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
While waiting for a matrix solution have you plugged the DirecTV recieiver directly in to a TV to continue to use DirecTV?
How do I do that? It is like a spaghetti of wires behind the matrix and in the compartment next to it.
-Grumpy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Mine has went bad two times. Both times it was the power supply. The last one I ordered was $10 plus shipping. Works fine again.
Jesse
I want to make sure it is 100% the matrix system. If I put the switch to 1 (Blu Ray), I can hear but not see. If I put to 2, no DirecTV, which is where it was always set. This also includes 3 for the bedroom (mini DirecTV).
-Grumpy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Jesse
Jesse (and others),
What were the symptoms when your system failed? Last time out I kept having to reset (off/on) because while watching a DVD in the bedroom, the signal would go off frequently... mostly just after I lay down after resetting Very frustrating.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Jesse (and others),

What were the symptoms when your system failed? Last time out I kept having to reset (off/on) because while watching a DVD in the bedroom, the signal would go off frequently... mostly just after I lay down after resetting Very frustrating.

cheers,

Joopy

The first time l had to turn it off then back on often to get it to work.

This last time I turned the power switch on and all blue lights and the red power light would come on and then all lights would fade off.

When I removed the old power supply it was very hot.

Jesse

Jesse
Old 05-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Jesse. That sounds similar to my experience. I take it the power supply is internal to the device?

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Thanks, Jesse. That sounds similar to my experience. I take it the power supply is internal to the device?

cheers,

Joopy
Yes. Looks like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1464663660.616693.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	128684
Jesse
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Unhappy

Quote:

Rick
I emailed Winnebago when mine recently died (out of warranty) and they recommended a replacement unit on Amazon. It's carries the Monoprice label on it for about $260 and was the exact replacement for my old one. I did not have to change out the Baluns or anything.

I guess I should mention my unit seem to be switching ok, but the TVs weren't seeing a signal.

It's currently "burning in". So far, so good.

I would buy the extended Amazon warranty - these things have a lot of bad comments associated with them (as most of us can probably testify)

I don't suppose anyone has looked at the 2017s yet to see what they are using - I couldn't find this unit on the PACE website anymore and I wonder if Winnebago has moved on to something else.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
I want to make sure it is 100% the matrix system. If I put the switch to 1 (Blu Ray), I can hear but not see. If I put to 2, no DirecTV, which is where it was always set. This also includes 3 for the bedroom (mini DirecTV).
Similar issue - but found the Blue Ray audio is direct to the speakers so it wasn't impacted by the 4X4 unit at all. My problem ended up a broken HDMI. Two of them in fact. I was breaking them while bending down the 4X4 to wire it in the back. I noticed the blue light for Dish going blue and red intermittently and wiggled the HDMI cable and found the problem. Blue Ray video went out all together. Replaced both HDMI and voila!

I also noticed on the infrared jacks in the back, the prior owner taped the small wire to the respective HDMI cable and left a little slack, using the tape as a means to relieve tension on the jack. Excellent idea, because I kept pulling out the small jacks when pushing the unit back in place.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As a manual interium fix, I bought a 12 foot HDMI cable and HDMI cable connector and ran the cable from the disconnected input to the Matrix to the HDMI2 port on the main tv.

It was ugly, but it worked and we didn't miss a single episode of Game of Thrones
Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I'm a little confused. The picture looks like an EXTERNAL power supply. It is as someone said a real rats nest of wires and I have not pulled mine out to look. I added a small power strip in the bay and plugged both of my Directv boxes into it so I can turn them truly off while in transit. One box is a DVR and the hard drive spins even when "off".
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Sounds do-able... The problem I have is that the TV in the living room (above the fireplace) does not seem to come out and to find the HDMI slot might be a little hard. Any recommendations?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Can you give me the model, etc., for the Monoprice. I went to Amazon. It looks like something that will work. I have the system that uses HDMI and Cat 5? Cables. It seems to have the correct number of HDMI and CAT connections. Did you just plug in and all was well?

I called Pace International 2 times. Left messages. No call back yet. Tomorrow I might ask for a supervisor.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sounds do-able... The problem I have is that the TV in the living room (above the fireplace) does not seem to come out and to find the HDMI slot might be a little hard. Any recommendations?
You can do it very easily with a F/F HDMI Coupler, just remove the HDMI cable from the satellite receiver at the Matrix Input and the Matrix Output to the Living Room TV and connect them together with the coupler.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Can you give me the model, etc., for the Monoprice. I went to Amazon. It looks like something that will work. I have the system that uses HDMI and Cat 5? Cables. It seems to have the correct number of HDMI and CAT connections. Did you just plug in and all was well?

I called Pace International 2 times. Left messages. No call back yet. Tomorrow I might ask for a supervisor.
This is what we got: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Mat...hdmi+monoprice
Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Call Pace International in MN....they were very helpful
800 444-PACE
Let us know how you make out.
Good Luck!
OK... I called Pace International as suggested by MutinyGuy. There are two guys that work tech support: Jeff and Matt. I spoke to Matt today.

Matt is very confident that my issue stems from a bad power plug. I described the current power plug that I have and he said I have an old one that is known to malfunction. He is sending me a new power adapter at no cost. I do have to pay for the expedited shipping costs only because for the next 4 months I am not in one place long enough that ground shipment can catch up to me. I should get the power adapter June 3.

I will make a post as to whether I can see DirecTV / DVD or not. I really do hope the new power adapter works... I know from reading previous posts from jbmsr that his situation was resolved with a new power supply.

Fingers crossed...

Thanks to everyone that added their comments to this thread...

Rick