Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Have You Changed out your 1.5 Din Radio?

Before we set out for Yellowstone next summer, I want to change out the absolutely terrible, somewhat crippled Magnadyne 1.5 Din radio.

I am interested in what you used for a replacement and how pleased you are with your new unit.

Many thanks,

Don
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Magnadyne makes a 1.5 DIN to 1 DIN conversion kit. You can then use any single DIN radio. I installed SONY.

Magnadyne Class A 1.5 DIN to 1 DIN Conversion Kit
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I bought a pioneer stereo with aux port, conversion insert and wiring harness. I got everything on Amazon for a great price. Be sure to spend the extra few bucks for the removal tools. Only have to ever use them once but only way to remove it without hassle - under 60 seconds!

The longest part was wiring the new harness to the stereo wiring harness. I did that on my kitchen table. After that I snapped in the conversion insert, hooked up the wiring harness to the car harness and snapped the stereo in place. That part happened so quick and easy my wife said "I thought you were installing the new radio". It was super easy.

Now we pump the TV sound through the car audio system using the aux port. The kids can hear the movies now as we drive on down the highway.

Very easy upgrade!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses. It looks like my real choices are using the Magnadyne conversion kit or cutting the dash to fit in a 2 Din unit. I know I have dash space, but I have to look behind the dash as well.

I may also put in new speakers as the sound from this unit is terrible (or maybe its just old ears).
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Magnadyne makes a 1.5 DIN to 1 DIN conversion kit. You can then use any single DIN radio. I installed SONY.

Magnadyne Class A 1.5 DIN to 1 DIN Conversion Kit
If I had to do over, this is the way to go.

I bought a Pioneer FH-X700BT 2 din and it was a big pain in the butt to cut away the metal bracket in the back. When I got it to slide in, I then found the new radio is 5/8 in deeper and so now it sticks out that much and looks like a sore thumb. I need to get black plastic to cover up the metal and make a frame around the bezel.

I sure do like the bluetooth ability. And the external mic included does well on speaker phone calls with my noisy engine pulling hills.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Best Buy stocks the 1.5 to 1.0 filler ... you may have to ask

We had a Sony installed
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I installed a Pioneer AVH4000 2 din radio. Did not have issue with the depth of the unit.
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio