Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Purchased a new Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop computer and would like to add a gps system for use in the RV. Have been looking at two, the CoPilot Live Laptop 8 and the Delorme Earthmate. Any information anyone has on either of these systems would be appreciated. Also not sure about the terms "Bluetooh" & Blue Logger" other than its a wireless system. Are these as good as have a hard wire connection?

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Purchased a new Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop computer and would like to add a gps system for use in the RV. Have been looking at two, the CoPilot Live Laptop 8 and the Delorme Earthmate. Any information anyone has on either of these systems would be appreciated. Also not sure about the terms "Bluetooh" & Blue Logger" other than its a wireless system. Are these as good as have a hard wire connection?

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I use Delorme like the features very much, tho I find the laptop cumbersome near the driver. Can't speak to the other one you mentioned.
If I had to do it over again would probably do the Garmin (1020?). Tho this would not give you the use of the internet as the laptop does. Good MIles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Like Jim we use the DeLorme GPS with 2004 Street Atlas Software. The Laptop is a bit cumberson in the MH - but the screen size and direction and voice activation is great.

We use the GPS more in the toad, as many of our miles are business related and we use the GPS/Mapping Software to find our customer locations, esspecially helpful in larger cities.

This is a good system, but a bit cumbersome because of the laptop size - probably no worse than a folded up map.

Can anyone really refold a map ?

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

J Stemler
If you want to use the mapping software to plan your trip to anywhere in the US and Canada you can't beat Delorme 2005. I see you have a Adventurer 35c. The desk in front of the passanger makes a great navigation station. I don't think you will find the laptop cumbersome at all. Its the guys with the DP's that have no place to put the laptop when going down the road. I even added a second 15inch monitor right below the the flip up console next to the driver so that I could watch what was happening and where my co-pilot is takeing me. The data base that comes with the Delorme is great for finding Walmarts and other overnight stops too. To bad you already bought your Dell. There is a banner at the top of this forum that has the laptop and software bundled, installed and ready to go called the RV Traveler. Web site is www.starpcs.net

If you don't get the standard earthmate you could opt for the logger. My son as on that he wears on his belt. It communicates with a laptop or a PDA that has blue tooth and works great. It comes with rechargeable batteries that you need to keep charged.
If you wanted to, the GPS could be on the dash and the laptop and navigator could be sitting at the dinette. It works great.
Pick the Delorme, you won't regret it.
Bill

Toad - GMC Envoy
bsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

J, you might want to check out the stand alone Garmin mobile GPS. My Street Pilot attaches nicely to the top of the dash and can be easily moved to the toad for side trips. check out the 320c and 330c.
Dick, former U-2 navigator
Old 02-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When we get our coach I'm going with CoPilot Live 8 because of the RV-Friendly routing (no U-turns, no propane-restricted tunnels, no low bridges, avoids small roads.)

I just bought a cheapie Dell Inspiron 1000 to use for GPS and Silverleaf engine info display. I will mount the laptop on a stand (articulated mount) by the dash on the floor for use by either the driver or co-pilot.

Cheers,

John
www.janeandjohn.org

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I have a Garmin Street Pilot III. It mounts on the top of the dash of my 2003 Winnebago Brave, has a large enough screen, and gives me all of the directions, voice, etc. for navigating. I also use itin my toad - easily unplugging it from its stand and moving to the car. I can make navigation decisions without having to bother my wife.

Today, you can get a Garmin 2610 or 2620 which is the upgraded unit from my Street Pilot III. I've seen other threads where people have bought the 2610 and high capacity storage card less expensively than the 2620 which has its own hard drive.

Good Luck.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I got the 2620 for Xmas. We love it. The Walmart web site has them for under $900 now - a very good buy. I have no desire to have a laptop open in the toad or our Van. The 2620 moves very nicely and there is never any uploading (other than whenever we decide to upgrade the software - probably every two years). The remote control is excellent and the screen is beyond laptop computers for quality and color.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the DeLorme Streets and also Microsoft Street & Trips. Both companies sell their software and GPS units for about the same price. The differences between these programs are primarily in their interfaces and personal preferences. I suggest you goto their web sites to get better explanations than those given here. The sites give information on what you asked and not personal preferences.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #11
rg
Winnebago Camper

I had a lap top gps system but switched to the Garmin 1020. That is the best thing I have bought in long time.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have the delorme 2004 on our laptop and like it fine. ecost.com has good prices on stuff like this.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Dick, former U-2 navigator <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the U-2 was a single seat aircraft?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote