Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am torn between a Garmin 250W and the 260. One is a wide screen with bright resolution but no text to speech. It says turn in 50 metres but does not announce the street name. It is $299.00 The 260 announces the street name but has a smaller screen and not as bright. It is $399.00 Is announcing the actual name of the street worth giving up the wider screen and paying $100.00 more for. I have never used one so I don't know whether you look at them or listen to them. Any suggestions?

Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Windsurferlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am torn between a Garmin 250W and the 260. One is a wide screen with bright resolution but no text to speech. It says turn in 50 metres but does not announce the street name. It is $299.00 The 260 announces the street name but has a smaller screen and not as bright. It is $399.00 Is announcing the actual name of the street worth giving up the wider screen and paying $100.00 more for. I have never used one so I don't know whether you look at them or listen to them. Any suggestions?

Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes I like a GPS that talks to me. I have a Garmin 2610 and now trying out a Garmin Nuvi 350. Haveing one that talsk to you. Will help you keep your eyes on the road. My GPS's also set right in front of me on the dash. Worked fine on our Adventurer 2001 and the Aspect.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Get one that has a bright large screen and that also talks to you. Garmin has a large selection go to their web site. They are also very accurate.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the model C330 that announces distance only. The DW does the navigation to help me know how far to the next turn. We agree that the model that announces street names is not worth the extra cost as the distance to turn and left/right works fine. I find that often I can't find the name of the street anyway.

Cheers!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I tried a couple of the small screen units (both Garmin and TomTom) and was very dissatified with the size of the screen While in my motorhome. In the car it was fine as it was half the distance to me. So I purchased the monster screen sized Garmin StreetPilot 7200. The HUGE 7 inch screen can be seen both day and night from the center position on the dash. It was pricey at almost $700 but in my book well worth it.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
RJK
Winnebago Camper

I have spent some time looking into Garmin GPS units. I narrowed it down to and purchased a Garmin Nuvi650. The 650 has the larger 4.3 screen like the 250W but gives the name of the street (TTS) which I highly recommend. You can spend more to get more if you need it, blue tooth ect. I found the250W and the Nuvi650 on line at costco.com for $299.00. Two thinks I like about the Garmin is (1)They have a chip in them to give you better sat. reception. I can rec'v sat.and use it sitting in my living room. They also say it work better in the city next to high builds.(2)Per the GPSmagazine review Garmin uses the better of the two map programs that are in a gps. (NAVTEQ vs_ TELEATLAS) You can go to garmin.com and compare all there unit (Nuvi's and Street pilots) side by side. I have two web sites you can check out (1)gpsmagazine.com you can get very good reviews along with Pros and Cons of most units. It also has a buyers guide. (2)gpspassions.com this is a forum with very good info on Garmin Nuvi units. (Note) make sure it has the new 2008 (v9) map program in which ever Garmin you buy. I have also talked to Garmin @ 1-800-800-1020 with questions. At times it's a long wait to get through but it was very good service. The newes ones out out are the 7xx. Check on line don't rush there is alot to look/check into.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I bought a Garmin with the "text to speech" capability. I like to know the name of the street I am being directed to turn onto instead of just turn right or left. When you compare it to a larger and brighter screen, however, the "text to speech" function becomes less important. I was only deciding between units that were about the same price, not a $100 difference.
Another item that I wanted was a plug for an outside antenna. I have used GPS units for more than 15 years and considered that item important. I put an antenna on the roof for the gps thinking that I wouldn't have to keep the unit near the front window. I have found that the antennas used in new gps's are more sensitive than in the past, there apparently isn't much metal in the roof to block the signal (fiberglass doesn't block gps signals) and I really don't have to use the outside antenna.
You will enjoy using anything you buy especially when in strange territory off the interstate.

2000 Adventurer 35U (Ford V10)
herbhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I bought a Roadmax & I am happy with it. Tells the distance to the turn & to tell the truth I mute it. I just watch the display. Cost-$250
Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I agree with RayRice. I have the Garmin 7200 and it's well worth the extra $s. We use it in the tow car and at times use it in the coach along with the built in Alpine, each has their advantages.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just a thought,if you happen to have a laptop computer.Microsoft makes a program to use GPS called streets and trips.I have a tom-tom,and it works fine in the car, but I put my 15 inch screen laptop on the dash of the MH,'04 sightseer 30B,and I don't need glasses to see it.Program costs about $70-90 with a antenna.I bought a 12 volt power supply for the 'puter for a total investment of less than $200.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well guys, thanks for all the imput. I ended up with a 750 Garmin. They just came out in Nov. so I'm assuming they would have the 2008 maps in them. It has the 4.3 bright screen and it has the text-to-speech. It also has an FM transmitter in it which is a great feature. The only difference from the 650 and 660 I think is that it can do up to 10 trips. It only has 5 hrs. of battery life versus 7 hrs. in the other two. It doesn't have a bluetooth but I wouldn't use that feature anyway. We tried it to go to Walmart and stopped for gas first. It was really neat how it recalculated and got us back on track right away. So far I love it. Thanks again for all the info. It is great to learn from other people. I'm going to go and look up those reviews. I guess it's too late now if this unit isn't right but I don't think you can go wrong with Garmin and like you said the 700 series is the latest out so it should be good.

Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
35U Adventurer 2001
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have a Garmin C550 and love it. I have it mounted on the disk that came with it, on the dash right in front of the steering wheel. The C550 has a screen that makes it easy to see in bright daylight. We are headed to Europe shortly for a little break and I purchased a Nuvi 370. It seems to have the same quality as my 550, but also has Canada and all of Europe built in as well as the US. It does not have Mexico, but you can purchase a chip for that country also. I got the best price on line at www.bwayphoto.com. Hope this helps.

8.1 liter Vortec
movinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The DW surprised me with the Garmin C330 for Christmas. Happy happy!! I did order the friction mount for the base so I could place the unit on the dash of my Journey. I think it will work well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Just a point of interest, when you register online you can check for any updates and if i remember right you get one free update to your maps. check it out.
tom
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I bought the Nuvi 650 when I had my class C. I was worried that the bunk overhanging the cab would be an issue. The sales person said, "if you want to buy one GPS and be done with it this is the one." He was right. I get a signal anywhere. I can be sitting in the middle of my house trying to plan the weekend trip and the signal is crystal clear. Nice small unit with a big screen that is easy to detach from its holder. We love it. I haven't logged onto Mapquest since I made my purchase

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to disup
In case you haven't purchased your GPS yet the 650 is on sale at Amazon for $306 which has all features of 250w. As always in electronics wait and the price usually comes down
disup is offline   Reply With Quote