Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have been doing a bit of research on buying software for our Dell laptop and would like to hear of any good or bad reports other readers have had. For the record, I have been impressed with what I read about CoPilot Live Laptop 10 Navigation System - USB currently selling for $199.00.

Oldbanker
Oldbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been doing a bit of research on buying software for our Dell laptop and would like to hear of any good or bad reports other readers have had. For the record, I have been impressed with what I read about CoPilot Live Laptop 10 Navigation System - USB currently selling for $199.00.

Oldbanker
Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I use Co-Pilot laptop 9 and am very pleased with it. I have only had one problem so far. We were trying to get to KOA in Cascade Locks, OR last year. The directions were completely in error. Not sure why, or if that is a common problem with certain areas.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have used MS Streets and Trips 2007 and Trailer Life Campground Navigator 2007 and numerous online (internet} mapping software and found them all woefully inadequate. They will all mislead you. The root problems are that almost all of them use a database supplied by NAVTEQ. The software relies on information that they buy from NAVTEQ, which is continually being updated. But the software company only buys updates periodically, and supplies updates to us, the end users, once or twice a year. I don't know how the database suppliers such as NAVTEQ gather their data. But I do know that there are several different "Datums" (ie, points of reference from which all other measurements are made). In addition to various different datums, there are different formats for expressing the data (degree, minute, second: decimal degrees; degrees, decimal minutes).Any error in recording the correct parameters in the correct format by either a field surveyor or a data entry person can result in huge errors on a map. I have personally found errors of 60 miles in some of these maps. My bottom line is that these toys are fun to play with. BUT DON'T TRUST ANY OF THEM. Furthermore most are severely limited in their ability to understand what type of rig you're driving. They have no way for you to tell them that your rig is 8.5' wide or 14'tall. They will route you over the shortest, or quickest(you can usually choose one of these) route without regard to size restrictions.
Having said that, I do hear that CO-Pilot does have provisions for accommodating size restrictions. I haven't tried it yet. But I still would not trust it because all of the databases contain errors. On the other hand I can count on one finger the errors I have found on paper maps. Aint technology wonderful.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I was going to get the Co-Pilot live when they offered a competive version upgrade but when they did away with that I figured I'd wait.

I've been using Delorme Street Atlas and very happy with it. MS Streets looks prettier but I prefer the displace and customization I get with Delorme.

I built my own laptop stand for our rig, and take the unit on each trip. The family gets a kick out of the Voice announcements and we've nicknamed him Morty I've been able to import major company locations like Costco, Camping World and others and I can quick make route stop adjustments if needed.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Y-Guy

Do you have any pictures of your laptop stand?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Another question I have is - will it be necessary to buy a seperate antenna or will the GPS included in the purchase be adequate for my purposes?

Oldbanker
Old 11-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Delorme Street Atlas, Microsoft Streets & Trips, and Garmin all sell software for thr laptop that can include the antenna. I do believe that they all have an antenna that is powered from the laptop rather than needing a seperate source for power. I dont know if the Delorme Street Atlas or Microsoft Streets & Trips have the additional feature that offer a google earth view. The Garmin Map Scource software offers a google earth view that allows you to view a satalite view of anywhere you want to go, or at least anwhere that the program has in its database(US, Canada, Mexico).
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
Do you have any pictures of your laptop stand? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You betcha. I made the mount using supplies from Lowes. The plate is just a steel sheet cut down and rounded corners. The lip is a square piece of wood cut down and glued and screwed to the plate. I used conduit and connectors from the electrical section and the mounting plates to the floor and the plate from the gas pipe section. I can get other photos if it would help. I wrapped the conduit with black flex electrical wrap so it would look better. I did find that I used the cheaper aluminum conduit connectors and one began to crack over the bad highways through Boise. I picked up a better one and its been working great.

Laptop Mount
Laptop Mount Close Up

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oldbanker:
Another question I have is - will it be necessary to buy a seperate antenna or will the GPS included in the purchase be adequate for my purposes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have two options with mine. Either the USB cable to the GPS antenna or I can hook the antenna up to a Bluetooth powerpack. I find the USB works a bit better and is less likely to have connection issues. I just lay the antenna across the dash and put it as close to the window as I can. I plan to either make or purchase a dash mat and then I won't see the cord laying across the dash.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have been using Garmin Nroute on an HP tablet with a GPS V left over from boat, but the wires got out of control and GPS lasted about 20 hrs on batteries, or use 12v/pc converter (more wires).

Recently purchased DeLorme Earthmate 2008, stopped into outlet store in Maine while on vacation.

The package included a Bluetooth (wireless) GPS receiver. It can be charged by conecting to 120v or USB laptop port. There have been no connectivity issues and receiver maintains location flawlessly.

The DeLorme software is quite powerful with many features not found on the Garmin. I have been using for 2 months now and preparing for winter vacation in Florida. Creating routes finding locations, making waypoints, planning stops.

I recommend the Delorme highly.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

As XBoater and others say the Delorme unit is great. Once you become acquainted with all of its capabilities it really does a great job of getting you there. If you already have the laptop it is a very inexpensive way to go.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

We have tried Delorme, S&T, Garmin and CoPilot. What we settled on is CoPilot for real-time navigation and S&T for pre-trip planning.

CoPilot has a wonderful interface, simple, uncluttered, and extremely intuitive. Its generated routes are excellent and logical for the attributes I chose (favor/disfavor), however its mapping database is sometimes lacking content and sometimes the POIs are off by maybe a block or much more.

I NEVER follow a CoPilot generated route without a complete review of it beforehand.

S&T has by far the most complete and accurate street and POI database, but it is sometimes wrong as well. It is extremely weak for real-time navigation and I see absolutely no reason to prefer it over other nav programs.

Delorme is.. how should I say this.. is interesting. People either hate it or love it. If you started using an early version of Delorme and grew with it, you will think it's wonderful. If you are a new user, you will find it convoluted, unecessairly complex, and just plain bizzare in some cases. It is very powerful, but more complex than necessary in my opinion.

I have a little hand-held Garmin 60CS we use for geocaching and I sometimes use it for nav in my truck. It works well for its size.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I do have to agree with John.

The Delorme software does have a bit more of a learning curve to it than others I tried. Spend some time learning about more than the just the basic features too.

IMHO it is about as full featured as they come. Not sure about the others, but the wireless GPS receiver is the Cat's Meow...

John, how do you like the Garmin 60 ? I have an older GPS V and can only load so much detail on it. When in the country I can get 500 mile radius or more, but in the urban areas could be 50 miles or less.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XBoater:
--snip--
John, how do you like the Garmin 60 ? I have an older GPS V and can only load so much detail on it. When in the country I can get 500 mile radius or more, but in the urban areas could be 50 miles or less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is a great handheld and one of the best that was on the market about five years ago when we bought ours.

It is now showing its age since it doesn't have provisions for external memory and internal memory is only 64 Mb. It will hold about one or two states worth of maps and POIs which isn't great if you are going cross-country. It is wonderful for Geocaching though.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have used Iguidance for about three years. It is one of the better one for driving instructions, although route planning leaves a something to be desired. Latest version has 6 million POIs. It can be installed on either a Laptop or a PPC. I run my on an Dell Axim 50V, which I can easily move from Toad to MH.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #16
B K
Winnebago Camper

I have used the Delorme for many years. And it is a love/hate relationship. It's very powerfull, but I don't trust it. I always go thru the route to double check. It will send you on some strange routes if you let it. I think the program has actually gotten worse over the years. I still have my old version 7.0 on my computer and use it first for quick things. It loads really quick and has much better info than the new versions. On the newer versions you really have to zoom way in before you get a lot of useful info. On 7.0 the info is way better when zoomed out. I doubt I'll go with Delorme again when I need to update.

B K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I use to use GPS software on my laptop extensively, but have given up on this for real time navigation. A product like MS Streets and Trips is great for doing long trip planning since it will allow for many multiple stops, helps plan where you will need to stop for rest break and nightly camping, and even help with your gas budget, but is poor for GPS navigation. The old Delorme Map-N-Go product offered the best real time navigation, but this product was discontinued years ago and is useless now because it is so outdated. The newer Delorme products do not do well with an external GPS receiver, tending to wander off road, not doing quick recalculations, and on long trips sometimes the current map display may not even be in the same part of the country as where you are. Streets and Trips (as well as MapPoint) has similar problems with an external GPS receiver.
My recommendation would be to use your laptop only for long trip planning and get something line a Garmin or Magellan GPS portable unit for real time navigation. These devices can be moved from RV to car easily. Once you get use to using one of these, you will forget about trying to do turn by turn navigation with a laptop.
swyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swyates:
The newer Delorme products do not do well with an external GPS receiver, tending to wander off road, not doing quick recalculations, and on long trips sometimes the current map display may not even be in the same part of the country as where you are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can honestly stay that I've never experienced any of these problems with the 2008 or any version back to 2004. Which GPS module are you using with it?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I use the Garmin V hand held. It works for me. I take it in the Jeep, motorhome, and ATV. Doesn't show all the routes, but I can tell where I am in relationship to where I am going.

I don't need another device talking to me like the wife and it, while I am trying to figure things out.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Touche on the DW talking, while everything she says is most certainly important and I listen to every word !! , it can be a bit distracting when lost.

The GPS V has indeed worked well. When I used it on the water the mem was large enough to upload charts for anywhere I would be all at once. Now that I am a world traveler, HAHA, the mem is quite limiting and I need to upload the street level detail for almost each new destination.

May be time for an upgrade.