Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
To whoever started this chain, I agree with all those that say you need both. Something for plotting the course and something for monitoring the course. However, if I could only have the one, I think I'd go with the Co-Pilot. I visited a demo booth at a trucking convention two years ago and was really impressed. Pretty sure you are going to need some kind of external GPS antena, probably something like my garmin hand held or some other off the shelf unit that plugs into a thumb drive. Personally, I've been using a Garmin 2610 Street Pilot for about 5 years. Love / Hate for sure but I recently went ahead and bought the 2008 software update. What a huge difference. The 08 version even has my home address in the software; amazing. I just wish I could re-program the voice to something like James Earl Jones. I saw where one of the GPS manuf. does allow for voice and even language changes. I agree that whatever you are using, one should carefully review the electronic map for the day's journey and have at least an atlas with you. The thing I like about the 2610 is the ability to manually plot a course, uploading that specific course route. Like all others, it also has automatic routing too. What I don't like about it, besides the voice, is that it is now outdated and has a 2D picture rather than a 3D route. You know, always greener on the other side right! I also have a Garmin Summit HC hand held GPS for hiking. I can get lost 1000' from the RV. My nick name during Officer's basic was OTF for Out There Flapping. Kinda pricy and more than I needed but the color screen and ability to hold a 2Gbyte thumbnail size card which has more memory than my first desk top PC in 1989; pretty cool. What can I say, I got a great wife that gives great BD gifts. Oh, I also upgraded the card in the Street Pilot to a 2gbyte and it now holds the entire USA and Canada. That pretty much means I can take it on trips without having to lug a lap top with me. John: I hope to do some of that geocaching someday. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I use both Delorme Street Atlas 2008 and MS Streets & Trips 2006. I like the MS product better, but the Delorme allows me to make larger more detailed maps for my handheld than MS product. Also the MS product does not look as good on my 7 inch LCD Screen that I use for navigation.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

If you are willing to use version 9 you can get a great deal, CoPilot 9 Navigator w/GPS Antenna for $29. I've wanted to try CoPilot and figured at $29 for the software & GPS was a good price.

Link to Dell's CoPilot Deal
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

That's an outstanding deal - just the antenna/receiver is worth that much .

Be aware that version 9 is from 2006. Version 10 is the current version and they will have version 11 out probably this winter/early spring.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Full version 10 costs about $269. Buy version 9 for $29, you can then upgrade to V10 for $110. You will save about $130. Almost half price!

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I figured it was a great deal, better yet gives me a chance to see if I like it over the other two I have or if its just a third. They used to have a competitive upgrade, but they did away with that. Credit goes to an RV.net member that posted the deal the other day.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:08 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Thanks for posting this $29 offer. I ordered and mine has been shipped.

For those who would like to read the CoPilot Navigator 9 User Manual it is available online in PDF format. I like to keep manuals on my laptop for easy access when on the road.

CoPilot Navigator 9: User Manual

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

When I started this topic a few days ago, I had no idea that it would receive such a response to my question. To everyone that contributed their experiences and opinions I thank you. For the record, I ended up ordering The CoPilot Navigator 9 System and look forward to trying this soon as we will be leaving in mid-January for 2-3 months in the south.

Oldbanker
Oldbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Sometimes threads take on an amazing life.

For the soon-to-be CoPilot users - Don't trust an entered address to be accurate. If you enter 100 Main Street, that might be half a mile off. I think the block numbers are in many cases inaccurate - I just never know so I always double-check where CoPilot thinks the target is located.

The very best way to ensure consistent accuracy is to give it a lat/long for a destination. I get lat/longs from:

-Google Earth
-Trailer Life Campground Navigator
-Satellite Friendly Database
-Sometimes from the campground's web site

In the absence of lat/longs, I'll use Streets & Trips to double-check CoPilot and other sources if possible.

I think CoPilot is really outstanding in the real-time navigation department. The synthesized voice is extremely loud and easy to hear unlike S&T.

Good luck with it!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

ErWeGo,
I have the Garmin 2610 too. I was having a problem with the routing software when I did not pre program a route. When entering a destination an hitting go to it would come up with a route that would have me get off a freeway where no exit existed. I called Garmin and the sent me (free of charge) the latest software (mapsource ver 8) and now all works great. If I was going to use my laptop I think I would buy the garmin software that includes the GPS antenna. I have the Delorme program at home and the routing can sometimes be real goofy so I dont think I would use it in the MH.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

I started with CoPilot Laptop 9 and upgraded to laptop 10. 10 has many improvements.I use for planning and realtime nav. Very easy to use. Only experience about 2-5 % error on address entries. Agree with John on use of lat/longs for greatest accuracy. Planning mode of Copilot has the very accurate lat/long data by cursor overlay. Excessive speed warning very helpful.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Y-Guy, Do not understand Dell CoPilot 9 deal. Clicked on link, price quoted was 48.99, (starting price)?

What am I missing? Maybe the $29 price was a holiday deal.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Sorry NoMoreAZ it was probably a limited time offer, since I posted that back December 5 I am guessing they have stopped the deal. I got one, its ok hard to really judge until I use it though.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Y-Guy. As I edited above, I figured that it was a holiday, lower the stock, kinda price.

There seems to be some confusion here in this post re: version numbers. According to ALK Technologies web site, the current version of CoPilot NAVIGATOR = 9. CoPilot LIVE LAPTOP = 10. Price for Live Laptop varies depending on config. ALK sells Navigator 9 for $99.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or not but we have been using the DeLorme Earthmate receivers and Street Atlas software for several years in our motorhome. As we have been very happy with the product and upgrades, we decided to purchase the new PN-20 which came packaged with Topo 7 software.

We purchased this small handheld unit to use in our toad when we are traveling to attraction sites. I have loaded some state topo software on SD memory chips to use with the units but we plan to load the next upgrade of street atlas when it comes out in May.

Have any other forum members purchased this unit, and if so, has it been helpful in your travels?
Dick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Location: Columbia SC on our way to Sweet Home Oregon ETA 25 Sept 08
The 2008 Street Pilot Softare upgrade really is a fantastic imporvement. I wish I could have got it free in consideration of the initial expense of the 2610 Garmin. I wasn't having many navigation problems with my older version from 04 but the old version was just limited.
Didn't have many of the RV sites we stay at and didn't have my current residence address.

I have an external GPS receiver that came with the 2610 kit but I don't know how you connect it to the PC. The GPS receiver plugs into the 2610 directly. We got this external receiver cause we thought that the overhang of our old class C would prevent us from getting a signal... If I could find a way to run the lap top with external GPS receiver (running this City Navigator North Americal Version 2008) that would be great! I'm moving to Oregon this summer and will have our daughter drive one of the vehicles while I TOAD the other; thus two navigation systems would be neet especially if I want to ditch the kid for a bit :-). Least I know she'd know where to meet us at the next RV site. Take care folks and enjoy MLK day and don't forget to fly that Flag!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

DH and I ordered Co-pilot simply for the fact that you can put in height restrictions. But alas, we are so computer illiterate that we could not even get it loaded and were not at all impressed by their tech support. Needless to say we are sending it back.

Can anyone tell me if there is another system that will give you height restrictions? We are going to check Garmin and have been looking at MS Streets & trips.

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions.

Linda and Ed Lavin
The Lavin's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Garmin allows downloads for Points of Interest (POI's). I searched here and there is one that looks to be under construction.

Also check out the Garmin Nuvi models, to find out whether they carry height restrictions. My C330 does not, but POI's can be downloaded.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote