Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question GPS Locator Device

Howdy,

Is anyone using a GPS locator device on their rig? With the many stolen RV reports I’ve seen lately, I’m considering getting one. I’ve noticed the cheaper ones use the 2G network which is about obsolete and the seemingly better ones have a monthly service fee.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Unless there are things locked inside it that are irreplaceable, or you get an insurance discount equal to, or better than the cost of the service, I wouldn't bother.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you are that concerned abut security, look at Viper alarms. Our preowned Sunstar came with a Viper alarm, which included remote start and the vehicle tracking you are looking for. Unfortunately, with only the side dorr, the door unlock feature was not implemented. I removed the Viper (it was a crappy installation, too.)

Or, get your amateur radio Technician license, and install an APRS tracker.

In either case, keep in mind that nothing has 100% coverage. Even satellite based units have trouble under trees.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

An alarm is always an option I suppose, but it’s only effective if someone who cares is around to hear it. I am mainly curious about the gps trackers currently on the market since they are not that expensive and some of the service fees I’ve seen are somewhat affordable. Was interested if anyone had any personal experience with them.

I’m really not interested in getting another radio license. I obtained my FCC General Class Radiotelephone license in 1983 (Edit: correction 1987). I do believe they are no longer good for a “lifetime” as stated on my license, and are now called Commercial Radiotelephone Operators License. Never really needed it and it’s obviously not good for APRS/ham. The test was intense though, took mine in Buffalo.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you own an IPAD or planning to buy one.. I have one with CELL service on it, I have a sim in the IPAD which stays in the RV while we're on the road, I can see location of the trailer accurately on my iPhone, of course you need cell service for this to work but it's a no charge feature since the data is shared of my normal plan. the IPAD stays powered up for few days no problem.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team

What about one of the “Tile” type trackers that will pick up wifi when it gets close? I’m not really sure how they really work but you could hide one of those someplace in the rv?

Tags
cat, gps