Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trying to figure out which is the best GPS system to get. Intended to use my own lap top. There are a few out there. Any suggestions??
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Trying to figure out which is the best GPS system to get. Intended to use my own lap top. There are a few out there. Any suggestions??
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have a GPS 18 by Gamin. It does have a few warts (like all of them have) but all in all it works for me. The part I like is it talks to me and I don't have to watch for the turns.

Pros - Voice directions
Price - $100 + if you look around
Easy to install - Good Updates
Has day and Night mode

Cons - Proprietary interface - USB version does not meet NEMA standards.
Find function can be tricky... as it does not do rd = road or cr = country road very good.

I have MS Streets and Trips running via Franson's GPS Gate that creates virtual serial ports for my USB GPS. Easier than a converter cable (USB to Serial) as my laptop does not have a 9 pin serial port.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I like CoPilot Live. It is RV friendly. Do a search on CoPilot over at the rv.net forums.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have Delorme for my laptop. While I like this program, unlike others,I didn't want to have to deal with a laptop at the drivers/copilots position.

I bought the Lowrance Iway 500c. They have a 700 and 800C (larger screenif you want it) coming out soon if not out already.

The 5" screen is large enough for me, It talks to you and shows how many miles till the next turn and in which direction. I am sure others have these features but all in all I really like my Lowrance. Check it out at http://www.Lowrance.com. You might like it.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Check out the new Garmin Street Pilot 2720 at http://www.garmin.com/mobile/products.html#automotive
I have an earlier model than sits on the dash just to the right of my line of sight. No fumbling with a laptop. Easy to use and very reliable. Be sure to order a remote antenna, that suctions to the windshield. Comes with DC plug and speaker.
Dick
Old 09-27-2005, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the DeLorme for my laptop. I haven't traveled with it much but it does what it claims. My only issue at this point is I can't hear the voice well so plan to add an external speaker.

I'm also in the process of being able to duplicate the laptop display on my color BU monitor. However, not sure what I will be able to see, how much detail, etc. Haven't made all the connections yet.

Co pilot diddles with the thing..not the driver
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 and love it.
The 2620 is also a good unit with the whole county loaded on an internal hard drive for more
$. What ever you buy you won't be sorry you have one. Good Luck!
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've used DeLorme w/my laptop for many years and like it lots.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We thoroughly enjoy our 2620. The remote control is something I wouldn't be without. We can place it in the center of the dash so DW and I can both see it.

We can quickly move it from vehicle to vehicle (use it in our MH, van and truck) and it is simple to use. Enjoy the voice reports - almost like she is a part of our group.

Nice not to have to upload maps and it is a convenient size. We will only be uploading every few years when we purchase the maps upgrades.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have the Garmin IQ3600..no need to attempt to mount a laptop upfront... this unit is 4" by 6" and is more than just a GPS. It also has the Palm Pilot software to hold all your address information and scheduling etc. Easily down load info back and forth between your laptop and IQ thru a hot sync command...the unit is easily read and talks to you like any GPS unit would but it is portable to move from the r/v to the tow vehicle while out in it..it uses the cigarette lighter for its 12v power and has a built in speaker.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hi RR,
I've had the GPS 18 for quite a while now and can't praise it enough for RV use. Then again, I'm not using a Laptop while driving. I have the factory installed ˜computer desk' with a Gateway 554GE under it and the S-Video output run to the front TV. With 40 Gbytes of MapTech topos loaded up (trying to afford the other 40 GB to have the entire U.S.) and the latest version of nRoute, we can find just about any place in the U.S. and see real time moving topo map displays as we drive to it. It's too cool to turn the brightness and contrast way down at night and know what's around you when its pitch dark out the windshield. I've connected the GPS 18 to three other laptops as well using USB 2.0 and have had no problems interfacing to either MapTech's Terrain Navigator or Garmin's nRoute.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:11 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

This may be a stupid question. I am computer literate but know nothing about GPS units. Are any of them available that can accommodate earphones for the audio? I listen to my engine so intently that I would never hear a message on ancillary equipment.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hi Homer,
One of these days I will rewire my S-Video out to TV connection to pick up left and right audio so the computer can play through the Surround Sound system. I've got a 30 Meter SVGA cable that was left over and just need to run it and terminate the 5 coax cables with the right connectors. At that point, you could connect the headphones to the headphone output on the front of the TV. Getting on down the road listening to your favorite MP3's with nRoute cutting in with ˜Keep Left in point six miles' sounds like cruising to me.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I know you are looking for something for your computer but I use Destinator II GPS Software on a Dell Axim PDA. Verbal instructions are not loud enough so I use external speakers with AAA batteries to amplify and it works very well. I have used it from coast to coast. One problem is the maps are broken up into about 5 pieces so moving from one map to another takes a little thought but usually I'm on one map. On the plus side I can drive with the PDA in my lap and glance at the screen as needed.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Save a lot of work and get a wireless FM transmitter and pick it up on any radio in your coach. $14.95

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=RFG400FM&cat=GDT
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I also like the CoPilot Live. Bought it from Camping World. Used it last week and was well satisfied. Easy to install, easy to use.
It routes you away from propane restrictions, and minimum 12' 6" clearances. RV friendly.
I am not one of those computer whizs, so when I say its easy, it is.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #18
Cat
Winnebago Camper

I also have the Copilot Live (laptop 8). Just finished going through LA and San Francisco. Really made traveling much easier. It is very easy to use. And it it is fairly inexpensive $299.00.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
hi all

i have had the delorme gps running mapquest on my PC and i now have the garmin 2620.. for me, there is no comparison..

the 2620 is MUCH easier to use while driving (although i suppose you should not attempt this with either approch - but the remote control with the 2620 makes it a breeze)

the user interface is much more intuitive on the 2620 than on the delorme/PC approach..

the pc's larger screen is sweet, but the much smaller screen on the garmin is surprisingly readable, and i dont have great eyes...

the rerouting and verbal ques from the garmin i find very helpful..

and we can take it to the wrangler when we unhook... great help in new places.. and easily fits on the dash there too...

bob casale

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

RR: I bought Microsoft Streets & Trips with the included Pharos GPS to run on my 9300 Dell laptop. I later purchased the Trailer Life (Good Sam) program which said it worked with any GPS...not true. It does not work with this one anyway! I've come to the conclusion it's more trouble than it's worth to try and run anything on a laptop...just too hard to keep the 102" wide between the lines and my copilot just isn't interested (that's what you get with on-the-go track vision satellite ;&lt, so think the stand alone GPS's are probably the way to go. Lots of good info in these posts before me, but here's a link comparing some of the units I found interesting:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4540-3490_7-...l?rid=20314997

happy trails

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote