Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Front TV Inop

Fwd TV is inop. Worked OK this morning, (then went on a test drive to check out my CRV wiring harness---checked OK). Then discovered hydraulic leak near RV chassis radiator. But that's for another thread.

TV is an old analog dinosaur. Will not turn On, manually or w/remotes (2). I've tried every fuze; inverter OK; CBs are In (AC & DC); GFCI not tripped; Aft TV works OK; SAT rcvr works OK (on aft TV). Thoughts/ideas?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, I'll start with the most basic... obviously it's either the TV is dead or there is no power to the TV. You seem to have made sure you have power everywhere else in the front (other outlets, DVD/VCR etc) otherwise I'd recheck the GFCIs.

The TV probably plugs into an outlet in one of the two side cabinets, should be easy to find the plug. I'd first try plugging the TV into an extension cord from a known-good outlet to see if the TV is ok. I'd also try whipping out either the good ol' test meter or just plug a table lamp or other item into the TV's power outlet to see if that has power. That should eliminate half the possibilities there and let you know if it's the TV or the power supply.

Now, assuming the tv worked on a different power source...

The TV outlet plug up front has a cutoff to prevent watching TV while the RV is running. I wonder if that might have failed. Since you said it worked before you went for a drive I'm wondering if it didn't recognize that you had parked and turned off the engine.

You could try starting the engine and then shutting it off again and removing the keys to see if the cutoff resets properly. If still no power to the outlet then I'd suspect the cutoff relay isn't working properly.

Anyways, a starting point for your testing... I'm sure others will have ideas too.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our old CRT TV did that. I found that if I bounced it hard it might trun on. After a few times that didn't work either so I bought a new Samsung LED unit and modified the cabinet to fit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our old CRT TV did that. I found that if I bounced it hard it might trun on. After a few times that didn't work either so I bought a new Samsung LED unit and modified the cabinet to fit.
Maybe bounce the 0ld CRT TV right on out the door and go for a new LED unit.

IMHO
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks guys. The dinosaur expired. Plugged it in to a known operating outlet, and no workee. Off to the store.............

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 04-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Bought a new Sansui (never heard of it) LED/LCD 19" TV to replace the GE 19" CRT in the bedroom. Right now the new TV resides in front, taking up where the dinosaur died. Funny thing: I like the picture better on the old 19" GE CRT than the new one. Oh well. Plan is, to buy a 25" like DriVer, or go for the 32" & modify the cabinetry. Either way the mods have to be done. But for now the new Sansui looks like an inexpensive ($130 @ Wally World) alternative to the RCA.

Is the LED superior to the LCD for RV operations? What about the Sansui (and others) which is LCD & LED?

Thudman

Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Before you do anything else get a test lamp.. This can be a simple trouble light (120 volt light on the end of a cord) or a psss-through light (This is a neon light inside a plastic or man-made clear/translucent rubber plug with outlet all in one) or even a common C-7 type night light.

plug it in where the TV is plugged in No light means "Not a TV problem".

light means "Get a new modern ATST/NTSC TV with Line and HDMI in for your fancy disc spinners (DVD/BLue Ray) and high def Sat receiver.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

To All, almost the same thing happened to me today. TV worked fine this morning. came in this evening, no TV (although the power light lights up on the TV but nothing else works, no pic, no sound) and may by coincidense, the porch light went out at the same time). Think they are connected or just happenstance? Think the TV just died?
PapaD is offline   Reply With Quote