Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
F-53 In-Dash Radio Auxiliary Connector

We have a 2016 Sightseer with the standard in-dash entertainment/back-up camera system monitor. We have a portable XM Radio and docking stations in our other vehicles and home. I bought another docking station for the MH. However, I see no pin type plug port to plug the radio’s pin connector to as we have in our other vehicles. The in-dash unit shows that there is a pin connector icon for auxiliary devices. Anybody else come across this situation, and if so, how did you resolve it? Any ideas? I did try the FM transmitter and it really worked lousy.
Ed
Old 05-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
We have a 2016 Sightseer with the standard in-dash entertainment/back-up camera system monitor. We have a portable XM Radio and docking stations in our other vehicles and home. I bought another docking station for the MH. However, I see no pin type plug port to plug the radio’s pin connector to as we have in our other vehicles. The in-dash unit shows that there is a pin connector icon for auxiliary devices. Anybody else come across this situation, and if so, how did you resolve it? Any ideas? I did try the FM transmitter and it really worked lousy.
Ed
Just wondering,
I assuming there is no "trap door" of any type on the front your radio that doesn't appear to look like it will open but, in fact, will open to expose the 3.5mm port you're seeking? And, if not, is it possible that the 3.5mm port is on the back side of the radio?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Just wondering,
I assuming there is no "trap door" of any type on the front your radio that doesn't appear to look like it will open but, in fact, will open to expose the 3.5mm port you're seeking? And, if not, is it possible that the 3.5mm port is on the back side of the radio?
Scott
Thanks. I did look for a "trap door" and also if there was a "punch out". I came up with nothing. It seems to me I either read and heard someone talking about a port on the back of the radio (maybe I imagined). What I do have coming out of the fascia that houses the radio and A/C and heater controls is a wire with a USB port. I thought that maybe that is where you plug the XM in. I went to Radio Shack and was told there is not converter plug with a male end USB and a 3.5 mm port. The USB is for a thumb drive that had music on it. I'm no techno geek!
I also thought of pulling the radio out but things are not what they were in the olden' days, so unless I have some sort of manual or guide, I probably won't do that.

Ed
Old 05-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I found it, the AUX is on the back of the unit. Now I have to figure out how to remove the unit without damaging anything.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ed.

On my 2016 Sightseer, to access the back of the radio, I remove the heater vents. My backup camera was blinking on and off as I drove down the road. I was able to access the 3 inch long black box where the XM antenna plugs in and zip tie the antenna plug solidly in place.

I don't know how you would locate the plug by feel.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Ed.

On my 2016 Sightseer, to access the back of the radio, I remove the heater vents. My backup camera was blinking on and off as I drove down the road. I was able to access the 3 inch long black box where the XM antenna plugs in and zip tie the antenna plug solidly in place.

I don't know how you would locate the plug by feel.

Safe travels. JD
JD

After I found out that the AUX plug was in the rear of the unit, I started a new posting called "Removal of Pioneer In-Dash Radio/Back Up Camera Unit". There I discussed how I found to remove the fascia panel holding the receiver/monitor. Its pretty easy.

By the way, Clermont had to replace an A/C wiring harness that was damaged during the chassis built. That caused a short and damaged a relay. A/C works great now. I also had the computer re-flashed for the P0300 CEL and brake warning lights. It took almost two weeks. I leave for out west Sunday for four months. This should be a good test of the re-flashes.

thanks
ed
Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ed, We were not able to get a flash in Florida. We are currently in SC on our way to Virginia where we will stay till we leave for the GNR.

I ordered the XM radio when I ordered our Sightseer. I had a portable XM radio in our previous Sightseer.

Where are you headed out west?

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem and you just remove the screws on the front of the covers and the covers come out and radio pulls out so you can plug in the mini stereo pin in the aux in the back, I researched the radio online and found a diagram that shows there is a pin port on the back, works great.

I was confused by having only a USB port which can only be used for a digital source such as a cell phone or newer type Ipod. I had an old iPone 4s I used as an iPod and that worked until I figured out how to hook up my Sirius portable.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Ed, We were not able to get a flash in Florida. We are currently in SC on our way to Virginia where we will stay till we leave for the GNR.

I ordered the XM radio when I ordered our Sightseer. I had a portable XM radio in our previous Sightseer.

Where are you headed out west?

Safe travels. JD
JD

Right now, western Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming. & Idaho are on our agenda. Maybe northern New Mexico and northern Arizona. We have visited these states in the past, but have not seen everything we want to see. For now, we are focusing on National Parks & Monuments. There are also a number of other things (state parks, museums, historical stuff) we will visit/see in between. Though in the past 13 years we have had 5th wheels we towed with 1-ton duallies, the duallies are not very good off road vehicles. We feel we have missed things we would have like to have seen. Hence the Jeep tow. If we accomplish what we want to see in these states and depending on time, we may go further west the costal states.

We are/were planning to take about 2-3 weeks to get across the U.S., but if the weather of the past few weeks in the Midwest is any indicator, we may have to sling-shot across to the west to avoid heavy weather.

ed
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM251ss View Post
I had the same problem and you just remove the screws on the front of the covers and the covers come out and radio pulls out so you can plug in the mini stereo pin in the aux in the back, I researched the radio online and found a diagram that shows there is a pin port on the back, works great.

I was confused by having only a USB port which can only be used for a digital source such as a cell phone or newer type Ipod. I had an old iPone 4s I used as an iPod and that worked until I figured out how to hook up my Sirius portable.
I'm not a techie, so the USB threw me also. I thought maybe there was a USB/3.5mm conversion plug for the portable XM so I went to Radio Shack. Sure enough, someone a third my age educated me. Was I embarrassed? No, I'm to old for that.

ed

Tags
dash, radio