Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Dish vs: Directv from a Driectv guy.

I regularly get accosted in Costco (maybe that makes it AcCostco?) by the Directv guys. I finally stopped last week when he asked what I had for TV.

"Dish..."

"Oh, we can beat that. What are you paying?"

"Look... We have a Hopper. It's 3/4 full of stuff my wife wants to watch. You'd also have to replace the 77 timers we have scheduled. We have a Joey, and a whole house HD Flow wireless HDMI system.,"

All along he's nodding his head...

"And, we have a Wally in the motorhome.."

"Never mind. I had you up to the wally. But we can't compete with that. Keep what you have."
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Ha ha! I tell them that the dome antenna on the MH can't get HD on DirecTV. Then I have to explain it to them.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dish vs: Directv from a Driectv guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
I regularly get accosted in Costco (maybe that makes it AcCostco?) by the Directv guys. I finally stopped last week when he asked what I had for TV.

"Dish..."

"Oh, we can beat that. What are you paying?"

"Look... We have a Hopper. It's 3/4 full of stuff my wife wants to watch. You'd also have to replace the 77 timers we have scheduled. We have a Joey, and a whole house HD Flow wireless HDMI system.,"

All along he's nodding his head...

"And, we have a Wally in the motorhome.."

"Never mind. I had you up to the wally. But we can't compete with that. Keep what you have."

OK, so I'm a Directv user, have been since 2009. I got Directv when I moved from Ft. Laduerdale to the mountains of North Carolina. My choices were DISH or Directv. At that time all my neighbors had had bad experiences with DISH and had switched to Directv. So, I don't know anything about DISH, however I am beginning to get worried over the rumors of changes at Directv. I am really a pretty simple guy so no complicated intricate tech. My Directv stuff is 4 SD receivers original SD models from 2009, no Genie, no HD - I am not a sports guy -, no DVR....so when we go out in the motorhome I take 2 receivers from home and my Winegard carryout dish.....all works well and have never had a major problem.

So heres my issue, the Winegard will not do HD so that means a new dish of some sort, a new dish at home and new HD type receivers...I still will not do DVR, Genie , On Demand etc. Is there a DISH solution that would emulate what I'm doing now with Directv.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When I get accosted in Costco from the Direct TV people I tell them I don't have a TV. I've been thinking of dropping Comcast and going with Dish TV, but when and if I do there's a local company run by one guy with his assistant and I'll go with him. He advertises HE'S the one who will install, HE'S the one who will show you how it works, HE's the one you can call if you have further questions or issues. I like the idea of not dealing with some national call center B.S.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Dish vs Directv

My Carryout receives HD from Dish so you don’t need new antenna except at home. I have the older Dish receiver, plain Jane not this Wally Joey stuff. Works great in the house or in the RV. You do have to change the dip switches on the carry out to Dish value (refer to your manual ) and do the test procedure when using back and forth between house and RV. Follow the manual instructions and you will be fine. Enjoy HD on Dish. BTW. Just a Dish customer not an employee.
johnevans3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Dish vs Direct

First, there has been a lot of talk about ditching satellite by AT&T after the acquisition of DTV as they complete their fiber network. Aside from that, I have been with Dish a long time and am happy. I have HD at home and in the RV. At home installation is free and you can choose a dvr or not. We have DVR hopper and Joey. My wife loves to record a lot of shows and watch the average 30 minute show in 15 min because of ads that are skipped. In the RV we have a plain old 722 receiver that does well in that environment. This is our second RV with the Winegard 1000. I love this dish because it can capture even a weak signal. It worked well on our 2 month trip through BC into Alaska last summer. It is a joy to reach up and push a button and have TV ready to watch after I make my AB when setting up camp.
marcusf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
DAB
Winnebago Camper

I have a Hopper 3 at home and a Wally. The Wally and antenna were a 1 time purchase, then only $7.00/month added on to my home Dish bill. Inside the OTA antenna amp box I added a second RF connector and hooked it up to the external cable input with a diplexor. The second connector is for the Wally and allows DC signals to pass through the diplexor to control the Playmaker antenna attached to the outside cable in connector. Works great.
The neat thing I also did was to buy a cheap $40.00 300W Bestek true sine wave inverter that I just plug into a 12v dash plug.
Then I plug both the TV and the Wally into the inverter. Works fine because the Wally and TV together only draw about 150W. Don't have to run the generator to watch TV when boondocking.
Also, if you plug in an external hard drive to the Wally, you get DVR functions. The Wally actually contains 2 receivers and can simultaneously record while watching another channel.

I have a Minnie Winnie 26A.
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you have Dish residential service at home then you can disconnect your Hopper and Wallys (if you have them) and use them in your RV at no additional cost if you replicate your home Sat Dish antenna and distribution system using either a portable tripod dish and the proper hub/switch OR by using a RV roof top Winegard Trav'ler (Dish Sat Version) or a competitor's similar roof top system and distribution system. There are multiple threads on IRV2.com that give all the details. (I forget the name of the competitor system).

I use the Winegard Trav'ler and the rooftop equipment and the distribution system hardware cost is about $ 1,300 With installation tends to be $ 1,600 to $ 2,000 depending on the dealer you use.

PROS:

1. No incremental cost , you just pay the same residential bill home or on the road.
2. Your recordings travel with you when you move your Hopper 3.
3. You continue to get local channels in HD by contacting Dish by Phone or Chat on your PC to update your service address to where your RV is parked.
4. Prime Time Anytime still works. You can record many shows at once while watching another even if the feeds are not on one satellite. A huge advantage over the Dish Playmaker which is not compatible with the Hopper 3 and only can connect to one satellite at a time.
5. Signal picks up in northern Mexico and southern Canada.
6. There are web sites that show the exact areas that local channel "spot beams" cover so you can give Dish an address that gives you the market you prefer even if you are RVing in a different more rural TV market with less stations or without a particular broadcast network due to a local affiliate not allowing Dish to rebroadcast due to a pricing dispute. For example Orlando Florida spot beam covers almost the entire state of Florida. Phoenix AZ covers almost the entire state of Arizona, etc.

CON:

The full rooftop dish functionality only works on the Dish "Western Arc" sat feed. If you are RVing in the eastern time zone part of the USA the signal angle is fairly low and you can have more problems with obstructions. You can manually tune to one "Eastern Arc" sat feed (61) and get locals and prime time anytime but some of the other channels won't receive because they are on a 2nd Eastern Arc sat feed.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have the Winegard Traveller on the RV roof. Have been to every corner of the country, and I mean corners (Key West, most northeastern tip of Maine, San Diego, and most northwestern tip of Washington) My DISH Hopper w/sling has worked in all locations when given a clear view of the sky, although it was leaning at some interesting angles on the East coast.

They do keep creeping the price up every two years, like everything else, but I could go the select your own packages if I really wanted to fine tune the cost. And every month or so, I get a group of previews on various premium channels, which I heavily record.

I vote for Dish, and have with my dollars for the last 9 years.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
DirecTV is bailing!

DirecTV is now starting to refuse to change servicing zip codes to enable acquisition of local channels. I guess you can still get the coasts' if that appeals.
I asked the Dish tech, and was put on hold while he checked up the chain, Nope, not any plan to do that!
Dish rocks!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #11
Winnie Driver

Good info here, but what is a Hopper, and what is a Wally? Sounds like some Aussie slang!
I would like the capability of using our home Directv stuff on the road
gravityimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hopper version 3 aka Hopper 3 is what Dish installs in a residence if you sign a 2 year contract for Dish Sat TV. It is a HD DVR that can record up to 16 shows at once with a 1 Terabyte Storage Drive this holds many hundreds of hours of TV shows in HD. It also records Prime Time TV every day and saves for 7 nights (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC). Dish calls this Prime Time Anytime.

Wally is a box for other HD TVs in the residence it can access all live TV channels and it can also control recordings and access the recorded programming stored on the Hopper 3.

Note if you don't set up a residential account and sign a 2 year contract then Hopper 3 is not an option. If you just want month to month Dish TV with no contract then you have to buy different equipment. A Playmaker Portable Sat Dish and a one of several specific Dish Set Top Boxes. The cheap version of Playmaker supports 1 TV and the more expensive version supports 2 Boxes and 2 TVs. You can add a Hard Drive to them and record TV. The draw back is that the Playmaker can only view 1 Sat at a time and the Dish TV channels are spread across 2 or 3 Sats depending on if you are using Eastern Sats or Western Sats.

There are also different TV channel lineups and different pricing for Dish Residental TV packages and the Dish for my RV packages that work with the Playmaker. You get more channels on the basic Dish Residential packages but it is also slightly more cost per month.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #13
2010 Itasca Ellipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
...I am beginning to get worried over the rumors of changes at Directv. ... I take 2 receivers from home and my Winegard carryout dish.....all works well and have never had a major problem.

So heres my issue, the Winegard will not do HD so that means a new dish of some sort, a new dish at home and new HD type receivers...Is there a DISH solution that would emulate what I'm doing now with Directv.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.
Here's the deal (as I understand it) with the DirecTV service rumors:
Currently DirecTV bounces signals off of multiple (three I think) satellites: one carries HD signals and a different one carries SD signals. Supposedly, sometime this summer they are going to stop using the one that carries SD and broadcast everything off of the HD satellite...hence the dilemma for those of us who use portable dishes that only receive SD.

You are using a Winegard; I use the King Quest dish for my RV, but the problem is the same. I contacted King and asked them if the rumors are true and if there is there a solution or am I about to own a plastic boat anchor (i.e. useless dish.) They responded that there is truth to the rumors, but that when that satellite switch-over occurs, DirecTV will be providing a solution for folks in our situation. I'm not sure if that is a hardware solution (i.e. replacing a component on the dish) or a software solution, but there will be a solution. (I think it is a software solution where DirecTV will reprogram their proprietary programming to allow SD receivers to read their HD signal, but don't quote me on that.)

My recommendation is that you contact Winegard and explain your concerns and ask them if they are aware of a solution. Hopefully they will tell you the same thing that King told me.

Hope this helps with the concerns.
My-Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Directv vs Dish

Directv probably still uses a combination of circular polarizing pickup and linear (vertical/horizontal)in the feedhorn(s) for some satellites (up to 5 they use) and that’s why no HD for the Carryout Dish. Most, if not all portable dishes don’t have the circular polarization feedhorn.
Dish network uses an alternating linear vertical/horizontal polarizing pickup for its satellites. I believe that Directv uses the circular polarization for its HD channels. So no HD for Directv with portable dishes.
Why do satellite companies do polarization. They have a fixed number of frequencies to squeeze all those unwatched channels into. They actually overlap those channels frequency and alternate each adjacent channel with alternating vertical or horizontal polarization to avoid interference from the adjacent channel.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I’ve been watching HD on Dish with my Carryout for years and it works great. That’s why I choose Dish rather than Directv. I wanted the HD channels and Directv couldn’t deliver to my Carryout.

Tags
dish