Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dish App to change locals

I just tried the new Dish app to change locals when we move and it works great, so much better than chatting or calling Dish every time you move and hope they do it correctly.

You just go into App and it detects your location and shows you the local channels available, then asks for a location code on receiver and it makes the change to the new area locals
Old 05-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds good.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
unfortunately we’re not elegible to usr it because we have a residential-style receiver in the MH. glad it’s working for you.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Wow, that sounds great. Dealing with that dreaded phone call at each new location was a major PITA.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Wow, that sounds great. Dealing with that dreaded phone call at each new location was a major PITA.
really? tskes naybe 5-10 minutes to make the change. the DISH techs are generally very good.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
really? tskes naybe 5-10 minutes to make the change. the DISH techs are generally very good.
That has not been my experience, but I'm glad it works for you.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We generally had good luck with the chat, i would say 80 percent of the time, no issues, the other 20% are the ones that are frustrating and require the 2nd and third call. I even had them once change my account to commercial account somehow and took several more calls to resolve that. The new method is way less effortless, and during the summer we move about every 2-3 days, so that is a lot of saved chats and phone calls.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Folks, I have directv and always take two receivers from home when I travel...directv is getting pricey and I was contemplating a change at home to cable and then sat for the MH........with Directv I have always called to get locals and not really much of a problem....sounds as though Dish has a separate RV contract which allows the use of the app but not if you bring your unit from home.....are you all satisfied with the Dish programming, options and costs?
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
Folks, I have directv and always take two receivers from home when I travel...directv is getting pricey and I was contemplating a change at home to cable and then sat for the MH........with Directv I have always called to get locals and not really much of a problem....sounds as though Dish has a separate RV contract which allows the use of the app but not if you bring your unit from home.....are you all satisfied with the Dish programming, options and costs?
We don't have satellite TV at home; we have Comcast Cable. So when we camp in a COE or area where there's no campground cable service, we use a portable satellite antenna and the Dish Pay-as-you-go service. It works great and can be turned on/off as needed.

I read a thread on iRV2 that people are increasingly frustrated with DirecTV since the acquisition by AT&T. Not sure if that has worked out or not.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sarah, I have had DirecTv since 2009 when I retired and moved from Ft. Lauderdale to the Smokies in NC. No cable available. I have not had any complaints with service from Direct. The cost has increased to the point where I am going to consider other options such as cable at home and an RV contract. I would consider DISH in that case but my concerns would be the initial cost of equipment, boxes etc AND even more importantly will my Winegard Carryout work on DISH. IF not then I would be staying with Direct. When I moved to the mountains all the folks in my little enclave were turned off by DISH claiming poor service. One must remember that both Dish and Direct use subs to provide the service and so you are at their mercy. I assume you have the RV specific service contract with DISH. How have you been treated by DISH, is there a contract for the RV package etc. I woud greatly apprecate any info you may have. I will begin esearching a move to cable at home and sat for the MH this week. Our sat company choices are limited to 2 companies, one has a bad service and quality rep and the other has a very disorganized "ala carte" style menu that makes it difficult to compare product and cost to what I have with Direct. ANyway thanks for the info.
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sarah, I have had DirecTv since 2009 when I retired and moved from Ft. Lauderdale to the Smokies in NC. No cable available. I have not had any complaints with service from Direct. The cost has increased to the point where I am going to consider other options such as cable at home and an RV contract. I would consider DISH in that case but my concerns would be the initial cost of equipment, boxes etc AND even more importantly will my Winegard Carryout work on DISH. IF not then I would be staying with Direct. When I moved to the mountains all the folks in my little enclave were turned off by DISH claiming poor service. One must remember that both Dish and Direct use subs to provide the service and so you are at their mercy. I assume you have the RV specific service contract with DISH. How have you been treated by DISH, is there a contract for the RV package etc. I woud greatly apprecate any info you may have. I will begin esearching a move to cable at home and sat for the MH this week. Our sat company choices are limited to 2 companies, one has a bad service and quality rep and the other has a very disorganized "ala carte" style menu that makes it difficult to compare product and cost to what I have with Direct. ANyway thanks for the info.
Honestly, we have found that dealing with the setup of our portable satellite antenna (a Pathway x2) and contacting Dish to start/stop service is kind of a pain. It seems that we are able to get decent over-the-air digital programming for FREE almost everywhere we travel these days. We don't spend a lot of time watching TV so we're happy to get local news and weather, plus we are "occasional RVers" so we like to keep it simple when we get to travel.

There is a ton of info on both Dish and DirecTV on the iRV2 forum, under the Technology section... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/ I suggest searching for recent posts about Dish or just posting your questions in a new thread there.

Here is a thread with a lot of info... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/what-...go-295293.html

iRV2 forum gets a lot of traffic and those guys are happy to help out. If you change from DirecTV to Dish you will have an initial outlay for equipment. Some antennas have the ability to toggle from one carrier to the other by changing the switches, but receivers are specific to the carrier. (Our rooftop dome antenna has a switch to change from Dish to DirecTV, but that antenna is old and we got tired of dealing with it so bought a carry out.)

I believe that both Dish and DirecTV allow you to have an additional RV receiver for about $7 a month if you have the service at home. (I'm not familiar with that since we have cable at the house.)
Old 05-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Quote:
Legolas,
I have been using DISH for 10+ years while RV'ing. First was in a 5th wheel using a King Dome, next was in an RV without a satellite antenna and using the CarryOut antenna, and now with an RV that has the SK-1000. So here is my .02 cents worth.

With DirecTV using a dome antenna you will not get the HD channels, unless something has changed over the past few years.

With DISH, you just move the jumper switches inside the CarryOut and you will get the Dish Satellites 110, 119, and 129 and that will give you all the DISH SD and HD channels. (Gotta love HD!) However, it will not be all three satellites at the same time, only one at a time. So, if you use the CarryOut two line output to two different receivers you will have to watch the same channels or at least off of the same satellite and that can be a P-I-the-B to coordinate.

For 10 years I used my home DISH VIP-722 DVR receiver from house to RV without any problem but I did not have the satellite local channels (explain below). However I did have the OTA (Over The Air) module so scanning the local broadcast stations was easy and then the Satellite Receiver could be used to view either/or without having to throw switches. With On-The-Go you can stop the $7 (I think) for months it is not in use. Any one day within 30 will incur the $7 for the month.

Unless you have a DISH account "On-The-Go" you cannot receive local channels if you take the home system with you. You have to have one of the receivers that DISH recognizes as the On-The-Go receiver, such as the 211 series or the Wally. I now have the Wally. Once you have been established with DISH as an RV user you just have to call with your zip code to get the local channels for the area you are in.

Dish does not have all the sports channels, so just be aware of that if you are into sports. Example: Here in this area we cannot get the Houston Astro's when they are playing at home either by satellite or local OTA. If you do decide to switch the home system to DISH, then you can add the 211 or Wally to the RV for $7 more a month. Not a wallet breaker, and you will be established as On-The-Go. Just be aware that when you call up and change your location it will affect you Home satellite receiver for local stations also. Anyone staying at the house will not be able to view the locals using satellite.

We are not big into sports and we have been very happy with DISH. Oh, for a one time fee of $40 and purchasing a 1 or 2 Tb hard drive you can record using the 211 or Wally receiver. Record 1, watch 1, or record 2, playback one.

Others may reply with further info. Hope this helps.

p.s., with the newer HDMI Matrix switch in the MH and as long as you want to watch the same channel on all TV's you only need one receiver. If you don't have an HDMI Matrix switch there are wireless HDMI switches such as the Actiontec MWTV2TX and (RX).

p.p.s., for the home, if you get the DISH Hopper 3 systems you can record 16 channels at once. Nice feature as far as I'm concerned. Allows me to skip through the commercials.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
...Unless you have a DISH account "On-The-Go" you cannot receive local channels if you take the home system with you. You have to have one of the receivers that DISH recognizes as the On-The-Go receiver, such as the 211 series or the Wally. I now have the Wally. Once you have been established with DISH as an RV user you just have to call with your zip code to get the local channels for the area you are in...
we use the ‘residential’ receiver//DVR ViP 722k in out motorhome and get the locals for wherever we find ourselves by calling and changing our service address (zip code). our account is a DISH Outfoor Account.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have a dish residential account with Hopper 3 and Western Arc HD Dish, and use a Winegard Folding Rooftop Automatic Sat Locator Western Arc HD on the RV.

Unfortunately Dish does not allow this type of account to change service address thru the app. But it's fast and easy to call the toll free or use their Chat to change it.

It looked to me like I was getting a better cost point by staying on my current Dish Residential service vs. the current Dish Outdoor prices. Unfortunately Dish is raising prices all the time because they can, since Cable TV and DirectTV are raising their prices, too.

Tell your congressman to repeal the law passed a few years ago that forces them to pay TV stations to carry their signals. This cost is being passed on to us!
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I guess it is all in who you talk to when you call dish.

I'm going to try and get the hopper 3 in the MH. We'll see.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

It is not clear if some of the responders in this topic are changing their service address every time they move.

There is no need to change your service address when you move. Only when you move out of the local channel spot beam, which can extend 200-300 miles in parts of the western USA.

Here is a link to a website to see each cities local channel coverage: https://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist...orkmarkets&sub
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

we usually change at each stop if we’re in a different time zone or if severe weather is forecast. otherwise i will check to see if the previous location’s locals are still viable before calling in.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Where do you get the location code ?
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

we pulled into port charlotte, fl yesterday and as usual called DISH to change service location. during the call the agent asked if i was aware of the MyDISH app, etc. i was and am but the option to change my service address was MIA because, other agents have told me, we have a residential style receiver/DVR (ViP 722k). well, the function on the app is no longer MIA!! it showed up sometime in the last few days and i'll be trying it out this weekend during our next move. i'll post my results.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:42 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

You press the menu button twice and it is on the screen about 2/3rd of the way down

Tags
dish