Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

A month before we started full-timing, we replaced our home Comcast cable, with DISH. In August 2010, we moved into the RV, with our DISH equipment. The first year, we used a regular DISH antenna on a tripod, when parking for more than a few days, otherwise we used the KingDome mounted on the motorhome. At first we had one receiver in the bedroom, and one for the living room, but after a year, it became evident, we just didn't watch in the bedroom much, so I returned that receiver. In 2012, we replaced the KingDome with the 'Traveller' self aiming antenna, and were very happy. In 2013, we upgraded to the Hopper receiver, with great success. We watch a lot of TV, and recording everything we wanted, and watching when we wanted, fit our lifestyle perfectly. Over the years, we have parked the RV in each of the four extreme corners of the country, and even though the dish might be pointed at strange angles, as long as we had a clear view of the sky, we have had great reception. (western arc elements, still worked in far northeast Maine, and in the Florida Keys). For the first few years, they had a travelling package, where we received locals from the LA and New York locations, but that is no longer available. We have to call, each time we move beyond the spot beam for local channels, a bit of a pain, but the technicians have gotten better over the years. The new 'App' sounds good, but we don't have phones that will use it, yet, to allow us to switch locals without calling, perhaps soon we will be able to try that. Yes, costs have creeped up over the years, but so has everything else. We are satisfied with DISH service, and support (most of the time), and our constant wandering around the country.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

I'm in a quandary. I have the MyDish App and I do not see anything in that app that will allow me to change my service location. With that said, my receiver is in the MH and parked in storage and is not turned on.

Could not having it turned on for a few weeks prevent the app from displaying the change of service option?

Running a Wally in the MH.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
really? tskes naybe 5-10 minutes to make the change. the DISH techs are generally very good.
Agreed they are very good. For me chat is quicker. In the time it takes to go through all the options before getting a live/chat person I have locked in the new locals with the app. It's just open the app and a few key strokes then enter your location code from the TV onscreen menu. You still have to wait for the locals to download.
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Well I have finished researching the issue and for me staying with DirecTv seems to be the right move. I was thinking a move to a cable provider for home and Dish for the MH. The local cable will end up costing me more than DirecT for TV and local internet guy (188 vs 200) then I would have to get a separate contract for the MH either Direct or DISH....as it is now I just take 2 receivers from home and I'm good.

As far as the locals issue with Direct I just call them and do what they call a "service address change" which means that I give them the address and zip code where I am and they throw a switch and I have locals as well. I hav found that if you don't change the service address you end up with the locals from the lst place you were. Did that a couple of years go, went from Zion to Sedona and still had the Utah locals until I called. Only once did I have an issue.....in Texas at Palo Duro Canyon (near Amarillo) called for service address change and then - nothing...I called back and found out that all the local stations in that area had gone to HD and I do not have an HD contract .....don't need or want one - not a sports guy and the picture on sd is good for me. Wouldn't even be concerned with the locals if the wife didn't absolutely need to have "Grey's Anatomy and Dancing with the Stars". So I'm staying with Direct for the forseeable futures.
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
fyi....DISH also allows users to change service address to get local channels. and no contract options for DISH. buy your receiver and do a pay-as-you-go in monthly increments.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb

Another option is to attach your tv antenna wire to the back of your satellite receiver and after your satellite updates to your new location go into the dish setup menu and scan in your local channels (for the area your in) , then as you channel up and down you will see the locals right on you channel guide. Needs to be done at each new site, but you don't need to call the Dish network rep for anything.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm in a quandary. I have the MyDish App and I do not see anything in that app that will allow me to change my service location. With that said, my receiver is in the MH and parked in storage and is not turned on.

Could not having it turned on for a few weeks prevent the app from displaying the change of service option?

Unless you have the receiver connected to a phone line or internet there is no way for Dish to know anything about your receiver. The download stuff to the receiver, such as program guides are constantly being beamed down from the satellite. Whenever the computer programming in the receiver decides it needs a download it just start excepting it. Things like a new program guide for when you change local channels need to be initiated by Dish Network, but the actual download just happens when the receiver listens for it.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robval1987 View Post
Another option is to attach your tv antenna wire to the back of your satellite receiver and after your satellite updates to your new location go into the dish setup menu and scan in your local channels (for the area your in) , then as you channel up and down you will see the locals right on you channel guide. Needs to be done at each new site, but you don't need to call the Dish network rep for anything.
Which Dish receiver are you using? Are you saying the OTAs will show up in the Dish channel guide?
Old 05-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

On the mydish app go to Services, then Dish Outdoors, then Manage Locals, then tap the large Red Manage Locals icon. The app uses your Location Services to locate you, so that must be turned on. Then just follow the directions. It's faster if your receiver has already locked on to the satellites, because you need information from the menu to complete the the change. Not having it turned on should not affect what's on the app.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb

I am using VIP 211, I own them so on my bill is just the service fee (I think it's like 5 per receiver and I do have 2 tb hard drives connected to be able to record shows if wanted. On the backside are two coaxl feeds in one is from the satellite dish and the other is for an anteena. I have a Magic Jack Anteena up top. Once I arrive I turn on my satellite dish (Winegard G2 and allow it to locate my location and go through its normal download), afterward I go into the satellite setup and search for over the air channels and it will give you the option to save to the receiver. Then they become part of your channel line up on your receiver. All in all pretty easy then watch tv, I like locals to help with watching for weather reports, as well as local news in the area.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Unless you have the receiver connected to a phone line or internet there is no way for Dish to know anything about your receiver. The download stuff to the receiver, such as program guides are constantly being beamed down from the satellite. Whenever the computer programming in the receiver decides it needs a download it just start excepting it. Things like a new program guide for when you change local channels need to be initiated by Dish Network, but the actual download just happens when the receiver listens for it.

They may not receive anything from the receiver but they sure do know about it. They can control the account, turn off 1 receiver, and if not used for a period of time a reauthorization code has to be sent down. That can be managed through the App.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnewhall View Post
On the mydish app go to Services, then Dish Outdoors, then Manage Locals, then tap the large Red Manage Locals icon. The app uses your Location Services to locate you, so that must be turned on. Then just follow the directions. It's faster if your receiver has already locked on to the satellites, because you need information from the menu to complete the the change. Not having it turned on should not affect what's on the app.

Gene,
The MyDish App is very different from what you described but I finally got to it.

Services
Dish Outdoors, Wake Up Your Receiver
Dish Outdoors support
Manage Locals

When I finally go to it here is what it states:

"NOTE: this feature is NOT AVAILABLE FOR ACCOUNTS WITH DISH OUTDOORS AND DISH HOME EQUIPMENT. If you have a residential acount with both services, we are unable to offer this service at this time. To manage locals from you DISH Outdoors/Home account, contact us"
Old 05-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb

Dish only controls the local channels for your receiver at your home zip code, the receiver doesn't know where it is, your satellite (depending on if it is auto search or not) does know where it is. At a minimum you should have satellites 110 &119, 129 is the local channels here in Lawton Oklahoma, but if I go up to say Colorado, I still automatically pick up satellites 110 &119, but won't get 129 (which are my locals). So I use the setup on my Dish Receiver and scan for local channels (OTA over the air) and then add them into my guide (same process as programing the tv with local channels that are OTA) except I do it through my receiver (1 less remote to mess with).
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robval1987 View Post
Dish only controls the local channels for your receiver at your home zip code, the receiver doesn't know where it is, your satellite (depending on if it is auto search or not) does know where it is. At a minimum you should have satellites 110 &119, 129 is the local channels here in Lawton Oklahoma, but if I go up to say Colorado, I still automatically pick up satellites 110 &119, but won't get 129 (which are my locals). So I use the setup on my Dish Receiver and scan for local channels (OTA over the air) and then add them into my guide (same process as programing the tv with local channels that are OTA) except I do it through my receiver (1 less remote to mess with).
or....you do as we do and simply call DISH to change service address to get new locals. we have the MyDISH app and will be trying that on our next move.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

If you have an S&B account with DISH the MyDISH app will not allow you to change service locations. You will still have to call.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

our account IS marked as an "outdoor account"even though we have a "residential-style" receiver in the MH (ViP 722k). up until a day or two ago i did not have the option to change my service address using the app. tried it for the first time today and, wow, it is most excellent! very ez to use and fast. calling the techs to make the change was ez but this is much, much better.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:19 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Next time I am using the MH I'll have to call and make sure I'm listed as an outdoor account but my app still says what I posted.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

Just spoke with Dish. Seems if you have a residential account with an outdoor account the app does not allow changing to local stations in your area, It seems that dish is under the impression that someone will change their local stations when they are home (DUH!), Seems they don't want someone at home to be upset. (DUH!)

Seems to me that when a person calls for the change they are never asked if they are home or not,

I opted to put in a request to the higher ups that there should be an option check box that one understands that the local channels will not be available at the residence when service area is change.

Oh well, it's call in for the next few months.

Tags
dish