Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #41
Retired Sailor and Wench

grtharris - Thanks for this info. I clicked on the link you provided and on the Satellite Receiver Connection (SRC) wallplate containing the "From Roof Satellite Dish" connectors shown in the diagram, there are four connectors. Mine only has two connectors from the roof.
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Why don't you just get a HR-24 to use in the motorhome. In my previous rig, I had the HR-24 receiver and it worked great with my Kingdome 9704. And you get DVR capability with it.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #43
Retired Sailor and Wench

Meridian42e - thanks for the info. If I understood your post correctly, the second HDMI cable in my from cabinet could be used with a second receiver for the bedroom TV. However, in the bedroom, I have space for a receiver under the TV and there is also an HDMI cable there not hooked to anything. The TV works because I have been able to get over-the-air reception with the Jack HDTV antenna.

My King Dome 9704 appears to work because I get a solid green light on the control panel after it searches around awhile indicating it had found a satellite. I was also able to display a DirecTV screen on my forward lounge buffet TV. However, I did not mess with the settings on the HR44 receiver because I didn't want to mess it up for home use (my wife would not be pleased). I have a friend who has an extra HR24 receiver he said I could borrow to try it out. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #44
Retired Sailor and Wench

Floridakamper - As I have posted, I have a friend who has an HR24 receiver he will let me try. He is out of town right now; but, perhaps, you could give me some info on how to hook up the HR24.
Do I use the SWM8 and PI29 or get rid of them?
Do I connect the single RG6 coax from the Satellite Receiver Connection Wall-plate to the receiver antenna input?
Do I connect HDMI #1 or #2 to the HR24?
What do I connect the second HDMI cable to?

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
Meridian42e - thanks for the info. If I understood your post correctly, the second HDMI cable in my from cabinet could be used with a second receiver for the bedroom TV. However, in the bedroom, I have space for a receiver under the TV and there is also an HDMI cable there not hooked to anything. The TV works because I have been able to get over-the-air reception with the Jack HDTV antenna.
Correct, so on my 4x4 HDMI I can connect 4 HDMI devices to it and send them to any TV in the coach. You could have 2 receivers for satellite, 3 even, (not sure how many TVs you have). and everyone could be using different receivers to watch independently at their TVs, or whatever else. The problem with putting the satellite receiver at the bedroom TV is that you will either need to have wireless receivers like the Dish Hopper/Joey - or DirecTV Genie system, or you will have to figure out how to get coax from the dome antenna entertainment center back to the bedroom - clean coax - no splitters, to hook up to the receiver. That will be difficult and the 4X4 HDMI eliminated all that concern.

Quote:
My King Dome 9704 appears to work because I get a solid green light on the control panel after it searches around awhile indicating it had found a satellite. I was also able to display a DirecTV screen on my forward lounge buffet TV. However, I did not mess with the settings on the HR44 receiver because I didn't want to mess it up for home use (my wife would not be pleased). I have a friend who has an extra HR24 receiver he said I could borrow to try it out. Thanks again.
I apologize, I didn't realize you already had reception from your dome already.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #46
Retired Sailor and Wench

Meridian42e -

My DirecTV setup at home uses the HR44-500 receiver on the primary TV and a Genie Mini for a secondary TV. Since it seems apparent (from other people's remarks) that I should try an HR24 receiver in the RV, will the Genie Mini still work with it - perhaps to power the bedroom TV? With our present set-up at home, we can watch different channels simultaneously and also record other different channels simultaneously. I was under the impression that the HR44-500 receiver transmits wirelessly to the Genie Mini in another room and that will not work with other earlier receivers, perhaps I am wrong.

Since I have two HDMI cables in my forward Entertainment Cabinet, are they coming from the back of 4x4 Matrix box? If one goes into the satellite receiver, where does the other one connect? Is it for a second satellite receiver? How does the 4x4 Matrix receive satellite signals to distribute?

Is my Sony DVD Player output plugged into the 4x4 Matrix Box? On the back of my main TV in the forward lounge (it comes up out of the buffet), I have noticed a place to plug in an HDMI cable; but, it appears to be receiving its input signal via component RCA plugs.

So, how do i get the DVD player to send a video signal to the TV? It sends an audio signal to the TV but no video.

The space in the forward entertainment cabinet is so tight I cannot see what's plugged into what. The 4x4 Matrix and the Sony DVD player are both installed in metal racks and I really hate to start dismantling things.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Floridakamper - As I have posted, I have a friend who has an HR24 receiver he will let me try. He is out of town right now; but, perhaps, you could give me some info on how to hook up the HR24.
Do I use the SWM8 and PI29 or get rid of them?
Do I connect the single RG6 coax from the Satellite Receiver Connection Wall-plate to the receiver antenna input?
Do I connect HDMI #1 or #2 to the HR24?
What do I connect the second HDMI cable to?

Thanks for your input!
It's been almost 3 years since I used the HR24 with a Kingdome but my recollection is hook up the single RG6 to Sat In on the receiver and HDMI out on the receiver to the TV or the matrix. In the setup on the receiver I think I used round dish and received all my programming on 101. I have the Distant Networks so I also got the major networks on 101. I think on that setup I could record one show and watch another or record two. I'm still using the HR24 but now with the Trav'ler that factory installed on the new Winnebago we purchased. You shouldn't need the SWM8 or PI29 with the Kingdome and HR24.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #48
Retired Sailor and Wench

Floridakamper -

Thanks so much. When I plug the HDMI into the receiver, is that providing an input to the Matrix that is then sent to the TV? I was thinking it was an input to the receiver.

Any thoughts on how to get the DVD player to put video on the TV?

Thanks so much. I understood what you said about the hook-up.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

I would have to assume Winnebago used the same system in yours as mine, but this is what the back of mine looks like in the pic:

There are 4 HDMI inputs (yes one would be from your DVD) The other 3 could be for anything you want. Next to HDMI inputs are little jacks that accept the the IR transmitters. Those are located on steel plates and get stationed in front of your receiver or DVD or whatever and it re-transmits your IR from your remote from any room directly into the receiver. You can use your remote in the bedroom and it broadcasts it right into the face of the receiver in the cabinet. Those are a little antiquated as not many things use IR anymore. Most are UHF or other.

The output from the matrix is either 1) HDMI or 2) pair of CAT 6. Winnebago ran a pair of CAT 6 to every TV, so from the matrix, all outputs are CAT 6 rather than HDMI. The signal gets converted back to HDMI in a little box with similar red and blue lights near your TV, which also has an IR receiver. The HDMI cable from your TV just plug in to that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3524.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	170337  
Old 09-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

"I was told that, since my King Dome 9704 satellite antenna does not have a SWM LNB, I could provide that same signal to my HR44-500 receiver as it receives from the SWM LNB antenna at home by running the signal through a SWM8 Multiswitch and powering it with the required 29 volt Power inserter.

Was this information erroneous?"

In short, yes. I'm going to revert to the information I inserted previously taken from the DTV website. The dish geometry must be matched to its LNB. The geometry will be different if you have a single LNB (SD), from the geometry of a 3LNB (SWM) (HD), or a 5LNB (SWM) (HD). So, you can't upgrade your LNB unless you upgrade the dish, too. As a friend of mine explains it, who used to be our ship's EMO back in the day, the dish for a single LNB focus' on a single point (the single LNB). The dishes for 3 & 5 LNB's generate a focal line to cover the multiple LNB's.

In the interim, looks like you've had some informative feedback. Floridacampers' recollection is the same way we connect our H24 to our Movin-View (SD), i.e. Sat In to H24 then an HDMI directly to TV. (since we are still using the old Video Control Center as opposed to your 4x4 HDMI for signal distribution, do not want to confuse the issue further by describing how we get signal back to TV2 & TV3)

As you are now "able to display a DirecTV screen on my forward lounge buffet TV" does that mean you are getting actual programing? Or are you getting the setup menu?

Hang in there.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #51
Retired Sailor and Wench

Oldchinahand -

Thanks again for your information.

When I said I was able to get a DirecTV screen on the TV, I meant I had a screen with the AT&T "Globe" logo and DIRECTV. Underneath that, it said:
Step 1 of 2 Checking satellite settings . . .
This will take a few minutes

Then, I got: Step 1 of 2 Checking satellite settings
Almost done

Then, I got: Step 2 of 2 Receiving satellite info . . .
========
40% complete . . .
__________________________________________________ ___________________

It never did complete the set up.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #52
Retired Sailor and Wench

Meridian42e -

Thanks for the info and the photo of the 4x4 Matrix back panel. It is identical to the drawing of the Matrix panel in my "Users Manual".

So assuming that the "other" (unseen) end of the two HDMI cables in my forward cabinet are plugged into the "input" jacks of the Matrix, and assuming that there is factory installed Cat 5e/6 wiring to the little box near each TV, there should be some connection from the "little box" to the TV. On the back of my main (lounge) TV, I have seen an HDMI jack with nothing plugged in but also what looks like "component" type wiring with RCA plugs on the TV. I have also observed an IR receiver alongside each "little box" you described plus several mounted on steel plates in the forward cabinet. Now I know what the "little box" is for - does it need to be turned on?

Obviously, I guess the signals have to go through the Matrix to display the output on the TV screen. Assuming that the main TV is Output A (Input 1) on the Matrix Front Panel, and the DVD Player is plugged into Input 2 on the Back Panel, would I then select Output B on the Front Panel to display the DVD Video on the TV? As I said in another post, I have audio from a playing DVD in the Sony player but no video.

One more thing. Are the four little lights/buttons underneath the Front Panel Output A, B, C, or D functional? What purpose do they serve?

You guys are a wealth of good information! Thank you all. LGC - USN Retired.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

Looks like you and Meridian42e are working to a resolution of the 4x4 Matrix intricacies. Outstanding!

As regards the non-response at step 2 of receiving satellite info, your HR-44 receiver is waiting for a "handshake" from a SWM LNB. Your non-SWM King Dome LNB can't respond, so the receiver just waits.

Likely, when you insert an H24 or H12 or other receiver that can "handshake" with a non-SWM LNB, you will progress past step 2 and get a 771 code. As you likely know, you get around that by going to menu, selecting satellite setup, etc., etc.

If an H24 or similar freezes at step 2, or you are unable to complete the dish type step, likely your King Dome has a faulty LNB.

Keep after it -- these rigs are almost as complex as your old F-8. And, having been tucked up under tall pines with SWMBO unable to tune in to Hallmark's "Christmas in July", struggling with TV can really cut into your fishing time.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #54
Retired Sailor and Wench

Thanks, Oldchinahand -

I received an input from a guy on the iRV2 forum that I think steered me in the right direction to use my HR44-500 in the RV. The Satellite Receiver Connection panel has two (2) connections for "From Roof Satellite Dish". As you have said, my HR-44 requires two connections to the King Dome 9704. I have only been hooking up one RG6 coax because that was all that was there.

The guy on iRV2 says he had the same set up in his Winnebago and if I hook both "From Roof Satellite Dish" connections to the SWM8 and connect the "Signal to IRD" from the PI29 Power Inserter to the SWM5 input connector on the back of my HR44 receiver, it should work.

I'll check it out this week and let you know. BTW, A-1, A-4, and A-7 - no F-8 time. As for you, BT or MM?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

If that turns out to be a good go-around, please post your success. I'd like to share with my tech go-to-guy.

Because you asked: Neither BT nor MM. 12 years enlisted, PM/ML. Eight yrs on two AD's and two AS's, then 3 1/2 yrs pushing boots. Frocked MCPO when offered a commission at RTC Orlando. 16 yrs commissioned. DCA aboard the old Okinawa LPH3, engineering TRAREP with FTG SD, DCA (plankowner) aboard Rushmore LSD47. Diesel EOOW (Colt-Pielstick 2.5V), steam EOOW 600lb plant. Several independent duty programs, many schools and suddenly you're the old guy (CWO4) keeping some JO out of a ticket-punch billet.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #56
Retired Sailor and Wench

Oldchinahand -

Thanks for the outline of your excellent carrier. From some of your comments I was pretty sure you had spent a lot of time around steam power plants. Our Navy is forever indebted to professional such as you! Thanks you.

I'll certainly let you (and everyone) know about my next trial run with the HR44 and also the HR24 when my friend gets back from following the Bourbon Trail with his 5th wheel.

Cheers - Go Navy!!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #57
2010 Winnebago Via 25r

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesdall View Post
Thank you for the responses on how to hook up the receiver and the coax. I did go back out last night, crawled onto the dash with my flashlight and found the area where they tucked the roof satellite connection, so gave it a try and was thrilled when everything came up and worked. My only problem now is that I only get SD, not HD. So now if anyone has any input for this issue, I would be most grateful. So now he has his Satellite and I have my Amazon Firebox so all is good if we can just get our thumping noise taken care of. Thank you again for all the help. And by the way, I LOVE driving this one.
Directv only gets Sd in RVs unless you have the Traveler antenna. If you have Dish you get HD. The Weingard dimes receive 2 satellites and only SD. also must b set for 18”x20” 3 lmb dish. Multiswitch only. No SWm. If you bring your receiver from home 99% of the time you will have swm at home so you must go into the settings and change from SWM to multi switch. A great thing about Winegard dishes you can change most from Directv to dish or even bell. Dish now has the pay as you go which to me was worth it instead of the hassle of changing back and forth. Good luck! Hope this helps
Mbarton557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #58
Winnebago Camper

Thumping?
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv