Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Directv

Hi
I will be snowbirding in New England for 6 months come May.
What is the best and most economical way to access my directv up there?
Do I have to buy one of those dishes?
Thanks.
SpirSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Satellite dish on a tripod works. https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Mobil...s%2C444&sr=8-4

A bit of a pain to set up it works. Some people travel with this setup and put it up and take it down every week or so, some even put it up for an overnight stay.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you.
I take it I can bring my main receiver?
Appreciate your help.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good advice from Al & Sharon on the portable dish. We own/use that very dish. Like anything else, always a learning curve to using, but after setting up a time or two becomes second nature. The audible ping feature is very helpful. If you set the tripod up within 50 ft radius, one person can lock the dish on signal without help.

Requires a SWM receiver H25 or above. We bring our two H25's from our home - one for the main salon TV and one for the bedroom TV. The portable dish is outstanding if you boondock often and like to tuck up under shade.

Because we also have an ancient OEM Movin'View dish on the roof that still works and provides SD output, we also carry an H24 receiver. If we are stopping for the night, SD is good enough.

But, if we stay two or more nights we rig the portable dish. Hallmark only comes on HD!

Also, waste of time to call DirecTV for help. You'll talk to a bevy of polite folks in a variety of countries who know absolutely nothing. Call Satellite Oasis. They answer the 'phone, they give good, succinct advice.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for that confirmation.
My new bus has three TVs. I will have to fetch a third receiver (have two at home) if this satellite dish can handle it.
Will there be wires everywhere, including outside where third tv is, and dish itself?
Much appreciated!!!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirSage View Post
Thank you for that confirmation.
My new bus has three TVs. I will have to fetch a third receiver (have two at home) if this satellite dish can handle it.
Will there be wires everywhere, including outside where third tv is, and dish itself?
Much appreciated!!!
I got the dish satellite.
So, will directv allow me to buy a third receiver from amazon?
The reviews for the h25 vary. Many say directv wouldn't allow their amazon-bought receiver to work without a contract.
I have a contract but for the two receivers I'll be bringing with me.
Need a third.
TY.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Per my manual, our/your tripod dish will feed up to 32 receivers. You will have to add (activate) each receiver you buy. Our 3rd receiver (an H24) adds about $9/mo to our bill. DTV is tickled to activate as many as you want.

We are not shilling for any particular receiver. We have the H25s they meet our HD needs. We do not "time shift", so they work for us at home and on the road. As previously mentioned, we have the H24 because our old roof mounted Movin'View is SD. We keep it because it works. And takes marginally less futzing around for overnight stops. And a new roof mount HD dish is $1800+/-

Not familiar with how you are pre-wired. But conceptually you will have a coax leading from your dish your power inserter (came with your dish). Then a coax from the power inserter to a DTV approved splitter. In your case a three way splitter. Then a coax from the splitter to each of your three receivers. Then an HDMI cable from each receiver to its dedicated TV.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Although it goes beyond the scope of your immediate questions, about this time you are wondering how you are going to stow all the dish "pieces parts" for travel. The below pics document our solution.

Turns out a Homer box from HD is perfect. And cheap at about $8. We pop riveted two velcro straps to the lid to secure the LNB arm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	171117

The box opened. The LNB is under a foam piece on the left. The AZEL assy to the right. The blue accessories box in the center keeps the LNB and AZEL from shifting. 50ft of coax is coiled on top. The three hold down spikes are wrapped in an old sock and are tucked in behind the AZEL assy.

Name:	20190217_002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	171118

Two views of the item placement.

Name:	20190217_003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	171119

Name:	20190217_004.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	171120

We re-worked the tripod assy. As you know, comes with mast and legs separate. We drilled three holes in the lower edge of the mast and bolted the legs to it at that point. The upper part of the tripod must slide up and down the mast, but the original 1/4 - 20 bolts needed to be tightened with a wrench (yet another part). So we replaced them with the black plastic knobs you see in the photo. Some hardware stores carry them -- all woodworkers stores carry them for making fixtures. That worked so well, we did the same on the tightening bolts on the AZEL assy, the LNB arm and the dish. Then we sewed up a storage bag for the tripod assy. Used a blue tarp. Tough and cheap. The photo shows the 1 1/2in pvc pipe cap we place on the mast to keep it from cutting the carry bag. Inside has to be sanded a bit for a slip fit.

Name:	20190217_005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	171121

What to do about that big old 32in x 28in dish/reflector? Some folks lay it on the bed for travel. We nest ours in our folding camp chairs in the cargo compt.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Your existing contract is all you need. You call them with the card number and add it to your account. I get my stuff from https://www.solidsignal.com/ I have gotten several receivers and dishes that I have installed and setup.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Options

I dropped my Directv account back in April when they couldn't change my address...after a month of trying (an account screw up with the change over to AT&T) We full-time so when we park for a long time I call and change my address so I can get the local channels. You have to realize that once your out of your home area (about 200m radius from home) you will not get your home channels and in most areas the 4 big network channels are now only in HD and not available in SD so you won't get any big network shows.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have had Direct TV on two occasions, and Dish on one occasion. The first time I had Direct it was it's own company, and once after AT&T bought them. The first was fine, however the second was horrible, and getting rid of them was even worse. I hope I never have to have to go to a dish again, but if I did I would recommend Dish over Direct. My experience is with in home service.
tim l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on Directv for the coach. I bought it a year ago and it has a Wineguard Travel'r already installed. I just need the service, receiver, and installation. This I'm going to do regardless. I will be a new Directv customer.

We have been a Comcast customer for many years both TV and internet. I'm confused on my options. To get Directv in the home is the service tied to the satellite? If so, I'm hosed in getting service in the home as the Wineguard Travel'r is fixed to the roof of my coach.

Is the service tied to the receiver? I didn't think so.

The other option we are thinking about is dropping Comcast TV service and just go with internet. Then maybe purchase Hulu.

Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

thanks,
Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #13
Veteran & RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on Directv for the coach. I bought it a year ago and it has a Wineguard Travel'r already installed. I just need the service, receiver, and installation. This I'm going to do regardless. I will be a new Directv customer.

We have been a Comcast customer for many years both TV and internet. I'm confused on my options. To get Directv in the home is the service tied to the satellite? If so, I'm hosed in getting service in the home as the Wineguard Travel'r is fixed to the roof of my coach.

Is the service tied to the receiver? I didn't think so.

The other option we are thinking about is dropping Comcast TV service and just go with internet. Then maybe purchase Hulu.

Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

thanks,
If you are allowed to have a satellite dish mounted on your home, you can get Directv to install in your home and then use the HD receivers in your coach. I did this and it works fine. The only "gotcha" is if the home system is not SWM (like the coach), I had to remember to change the setting in the receiver before starting the setup.

Your Directv service is basically how many receivers you lease and what package of channels you select. Makes no difference where you use the receiver (home or RV). The only thing to remember is your home channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX) are tied to your home location. If you go further than say 200 miles form home, you will exit your "spot beam" coverage for your home channels. Not a big deal if you can get these channels off the air for free wherever you go.

Hope this helps!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote