Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dash radio switch problem

I've been trying for some time to figure out the problem with the 2 way switch for my radio on a 2007 Sightseer 26P. There is a rocker switch on the dash that changes the power to the radio from the chassis battery to the house batteries. It stopped working in the chassis battery position and I have been unable to figure out why. The rocker switch seems OK and the connections all seem firm. My cat used to climb up behind the dash and I wonder if he pulled out something. As I am a non-electrician, any ideas on how to track a problem like this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On mine, if the master house switch is on, my radio won't work unless the dash switch is set to house. The master house switch needs to be off in order to run the radio on chassis power.
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply but my MH doesnt have a master house switch. This problem is something that just started one day for no reason. It's probably a loose wire or bad connection--I'm just not sure of the best procedure for tracking it down.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Can't help you directly since I'm not around my RV, and it's a 2002 Adventurer, but you might try this link to the wiring diagrams for your RV.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just in case I will mention that with ours if the bedroom rocker switch is turned off, the radio will not work. We also have a rocker switch in an overhead cabinet for home theater/radio that must be in radio position.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Wombat View Post
I've been trying for some time to figure out the problem with the 2 way switch for my radio on a 2007 Sightseer 26P. There is a rocker switch on the dash that changes the power to the radio from the chassis battery to the house batteries. It stopped working in the chassis battery position and I have been unable to figure out why. The rocker switch seems OK and the connections all seem firm. My cat used to climb up behind the dash and I wonder if he pulled out something. As I am a non-electrician, any ideas on how to track a problem like this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
ims, there is an inline fuse for radio power on my moho. i don't know why yours works on house but not chassis position. there may be a fuse for chassis power on the under dash fuse panel.
if you have a pseudo surround sound as i do, there is a switch on the entertainment panel labeled radio-tv. this switch has to be in the radio position for my radio to work.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi,
You don't have to be an electrical genius to use a meter. Radio Shack has some very inexpensive analog meters that will do the job. All you have at that switch is 12 volts. It will not shock you, but you still need to be a little careful when you place the probe.

If you decided to do this yourself, plug the black lead into common "Com"(-) and the red lead into positive "Pos"(+). Place the meter into DC 12 mode, and take the black lead and find a screw that is into metal of the chassis and hold it against that screw. Take the red lead and touch first one side of the switch and then the other. One side should have 12 volts. Throw the switch and check both sides of the switch again. There should be 12 volts on both sides. If there are 4 wires, which there should be, each pair will be for the separate operation. One pair for House, one pair for Chassis. The pair that is working is your house, and the other is the chassis. Each of the pair will have a wire going to the radio. See if one is broken or pulled from the connection. Each of the other wires will go to either the house battery connector near by, and the chassis batter connector near by. See if you can "hand trace" the chassis hot wire for any breaks or loose connections. You will also want to check the ground connection, but I think they will have a common ground.

The wiring diagram is the best to use, but this is just a simple explanation (in my words) of some things you can try. Try tracing the wires by hand first for any loose connections, or broken wires, and especially blown fuses.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There is a 15A circuit breaker on the push button breaker panel for the radio. I think the panel on the 26p is over on the driver side under the dash but it maybe some where else. If not that I would pull the switch and check voltages there. I believe there will be 3 sets of lugs. one set middle goes to the radio. top and bottom come from house and chassis. you should see 12v at each set. If you do then switch is defective. If not you need to start following wires on the set that doesn't have12v.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The suggestion to buy a multimeter is a good one ... I was encouraged to buy one by the posters on a forum years ago ... I bought the little manual that goes with it.

I have used it to measure voltage a lot ... I use it to test for continuity even more ... When a switch is ON there should be continuity ... when it is OFF no continuity ... I test for continuity in the umbilical cord for my toad whenever I have lighting problems on the toad.

I bought my meter at a fleet and farm store ... I think it was about $20 ... It does not need to be extremely accurate in order to diagnose problems so buy one that is easy to read ... and fits in your tool box ... I don't go anywhere without my meter anymore .
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

HARBOR FREIGHT has digital multimeters for around $5. i have been using one of them without problems for several years.

Search results for: 'VOLT METER'
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

A 12vdc test light makes tracing wires easy. Just put the alligator clip on a good ground and when you probe with the other end, if the light lights you have 12vdc. you can also get a good indication of whether or not you are getting full voltage by the brightness of the light. A continuity tester with a buzzer is also useful for the same purpose. When you are under dashes and in tight spots a test light or continuity tester works a lot better than a meter. The test leads on most meters are too short to easily test in tight places. Some multi meters have a continuity feature with a buzzer. I do this every day for a living and have most tools ever made for this purpose, but the most useful is a test light.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
A 12vdc test light makes tracing wires easy. Just put the alligator clip on a good ground and when you probe with the other end, if the light lights you have 12vdc. you can also get a good indication of whether or not you are getting full voltage by the brightness of the light. A continuity tester with a buzzer is also useful for the same purpose. When you are under dashes and in tight spots a test light or continuity tester works a lot better than a meter. The test leads on most meters are too short to easily test in tight places. Some multi meters have a continuity feature with a buzzer. I do this every day for a living and have most tools ever made for this purpose, but the most useful is a test light.
Times 2 !

Tags
dash, radio