Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Last night my wife pointed out a crack in the counter top which is about 5-6 inches long. It appears to be cracked completely through the material at the sink end of the crack. This is on a 2004 Brave and, to the best of our knowledge, nothing has been dropped on the counter top. I think the material is corian but I'm not sure.

Two questions:

1. Is a crack like this repairable or does the whole top have to be replaced?

2. If you have ever had a situation like this what did you do to fix it?

We are about a week from the end of our two month trip so it will have to wait until we are home.

Thanks for your help.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Last night my wife pointed out a crack in the counter top which is about 5-6 inches long. It appears to be cracked completely through the material at the sink end of the crack. This is on a 2004 Brave and, to the best of our knowledge, nothing has been dropped on the counter top. I think the material is corian but I'm not sure.

Two questions:

1. Is a crack like this repairable or does the whole top have to be replaced?

2. If you have ever had a situation like this what did you do to fix it?

We are about a week from the end of our two month trip so it will have to wait until we are home.

Thanks for your help.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If it's a solid surface material (not formica-type) then it should be able to be repaired in place. The procedure is to use a router to widen the crack a bit, then fill it with liquid material available from the countertop manufacturer. Once it dries the excess is sanded down and if done properly you should barely be able to see the repair. You'll have to find out who the manufacturer is and then find a shop that will do the repair for you. Anyplace that installs the countertops should be able to take care of it.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a crack appear on our '04 Suncruiser. (Luckily, it was still under warranty.) That winter, we talked to 4 different Winne owners that had cracks in their counter tops, so it must be somewhat common in '04s?

Evidently there was not enough support under the counter top, so more wood framing was placed under there. (The drawers (and possibly the stovetop) had to come out so they could get up in there.) There is a kit (about $100) the dealer got to fix the counter top after adding the wooden support. Sounds about like what Ron posted.

The counter tops in those models were/are made by Vendura.

Good luck on your fix.

Rose
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check with Winnebago as to who made the counter top. Also, get from them the exact color. The counter top manufacturer will need that. If it is Vendura contact them directly. They have a web site and they have a kit to fix cracks. It is simple and easy and they ship it with a DVD. I repaired a crack in a Vendura counter top last winter and you cannot find the fix.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Our counter top has cracked and been repaired by the dealer twice. It has cracked again. We have a 2004 Brave also. Anybody else with the same problem?
Saber67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Adventurer with a cracked counter top. The dealer's recommendation was to leave it alone beause of the lack of support under the counter and the thinness of the material. He said that once it was fixed, with road vibration and the coach flexing, it would crack again. Sounds like he was right.
Rick Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our '06 had a cracked counter and was replaced on warranty (after 3 shipments that all broke in transit). It was at the corner of the sink as well.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote